Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Planning Andrews cam upgrade, other things worth doing while inside?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2021, 02:11 PM
Dethead
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Planning Andrews cam upgrade, other things worth doing while inside?

Hello all!

I've been thinking of installing the Andrews 21 cam in my 2000 Ultra that has about 62k on it. I've put a link below to a post I made last June, where I explained my bike and asked questions about updating the oil pump/cam plate. So I won't rehash all that, if you'd like to read that post, go ahead. (I didn't go any further with those updates)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...il-system.html

Bottom line is, my budget is somewhat limited. I don't plan on ever putting a 96 kit or anything. The bike is in great shape and I love it on long trips.

But, is it worth going with the conversion cams instead, and looking for a used, low miles, 2007+ cam plate with chains, oil pump, etc.
(something similar to this https://www.ebay.com/itm/08-Harley-D...cAAOSw50VeDt-~ )

Or

Stay with the non-conversion cams and while I'm in there, do the Baisley spring upgrade on the oil pump. (As stated in the post I linked to, I already did the Cyco pad replacement a couple years back).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 03-19-2021, 12:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

You are the only one who can answer the question as to whether upgrading the cam plate/pump and installing conversion cams is "worth it" or not. JMHO but in terms of performance, nothing to gain so why spend the money. Install the 21 cams and the Baisley spring and get the new set up tuned. Fuel management and a dyno tune are a better place to spend the money IMHO. The stock cam plate and pump are more than adequate for the cam upgrade unless you find either out of service limits, why replace them?

Old 03-19-2021, 01:02 PM
Dethead
Intermediate

Gotcha. I guess you answered my question when you said "more than adequate for the cam upgrade". I wasn't sure if I was asking for reliability problems down the road, if I did not upgrade the other components also. I probably didn't word it the best.

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2021, 05:44 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Dethead
Gotcha. I guess you answered my question when you said "more than adequate for the cam upgrade". I wasn't sure if I was asking for reliability problems down the road, if I did not upgrade the other components also. I probably didn't word it the best.

Thanks!
You were clear in your post and I am glad I answered the question. If you were going to "upgrade" the cam plate and pump, going the conversion cam route would be the way to go and going with gear driven cams even better it crank run out is within limits but the early OEM hardware and chain driven cams with the CYCO tensioner shoes is fine. One thing you might consider that I failed to mention is replacing the OEM inner cam bearings with Torrington/Toyo B148s, a full compliment bearing. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2021, 10:58 AM
Dethead
Intermediate

I forgot to add that I did do the bearings when I did the Cyco shoes 2 years ago. Parts are on order!

Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,466 Likes on 3,643 Posts

I think you'll be very please with sticking with the 21 upgrade.. Great cam for an 88.. just get a good time..

Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM
Dethead
Intermediate

Finally installed the cams, new lifters, and Baisley spring this weekend. Did a short test run once it warmed up, man these made a nice improvement. Can't wait to go for a nice highway ride!

I do have 1 question. It seems like the bike is cold-blooded for a longer period of time. When I first started the bike, I did have to raise the idle adjustment or it would come close to dying (was idling around 500-600). I'm wondering if anyone else had to make jet changes or mixture adjustment after installing the 21. I have a stock CV carb I switched to from the MM EFI a couple years ago.

(I don't have the jet sizes off-hand, I'll have to get those. I thought I went 1 size larger on the main)

Old 04-19-2021, 09:24 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

You need to start from scratch retuning the carb properly. A means to change the timing would be a good idea too whether with a tuner(not sure what's available anymore) or an adjustable ignition module such as the TC88 from Daytona Twintec.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 PM
Dethead
Intermediate

Well, after starting over re-tuning, the biggest improvement was installing a TC88 from DTT. Setting it at the "recommended" stock settings made the idle perfect cold, and after warmed up. I upped the main jet to 195 from 190, otherwise at around 4000 RPM, it was leaning out pretty bad.

I need to go for a longer trip now and see how the mileage is, but the improved performance of the Andrews 21 cams were definitely worth it!

The following users liked this post:
98hotrodfatboy (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 02:51 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Dethead
Well, after starting over re-tuning, the biggest improvement was installing a TC88 from DTT. Setting it at the "recommended" stock settings made the idle perfect cold, and after warmed up. I upped the main jet to 195 from 190, otherwise at around 4000 RPM, it was leaning out pretty bad.

I need to go for a longer trip now and see how the mileage is, but the improved performance of the Andrews 21 cams were definitely worth it!
Don't over look the needle position. Most that do a cam only upgrade see some benefit in replacing the OEM needle with the Sportster needle or raising the needle about .025". I think it is getting harder to find the Sportster needle, PN 27904-88 but CV Performance offers a replacement with their Velocity Needle. The DTT TC88 was a smart upgrade.

https://cv-performance.com/cv-perfor...ortster-needle

Quick Reply: Planning Andrews cam upgrade, other things worth doing while inside?