Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

mystery motor on 05 deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 12:35 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,367 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
once I know what im dealing with for sure that will make the tuner choice alot easier. the more I thought about it the better the pv w/ target tune sounded but if I've got a bum cam setup or some other issue thats robbing performance skipping the target tune/ auto tune to fund the replacement of those parts might be a better option for me. she was struggling to get much above 90mph riding into a real strong wind today but I think I make a pretty good parachute to catch wind and slow it down. speed was still climbing but REAL slow like.

maybe I'm overlooking simple stuff and jumping into expensive solutions lol for all I know someone may have changed gearing at belt or something. first gear near idle does take quite a bit of clutch manipulation to keep slow enough for maneuvering in tight spaces and doing u-turns. I don't remember my 96" wideglide being like that. my sporty definitely wasn't lol seemed like that thing could almost do a figure 8 in a single parking space after riding the wg.

hoping to make it to dealer this week to see what I can find out. once I know what I have I guess I could atleast order the tuner with a map from FM and decide from there what route to go. Hopefully I'll be able to get my buddies compression tester set up in the next day or two and see what we're working with there

How do you know the bike does not have a tuner on it already? Have you pulled the seat to take a look?

There is also a good chance that the HD Mothership has no Idea what was done to the bike. I tried the same thing with my 05 Fatboy and they had no record of it.

If you cannot find a record of what was done and specific cams and compression, Fuel Moto will have a hard time with supplying the correct map.

And your biggest issue with low end torque is the true dual exhaust setup on that bike

Old 03-15-2021, 09:08 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
How can FM develop a map or target tune if you don't know the details of the motor configuration?
this is an exact cut and paste quote from the same post you're referencing

"once I know what I have I guess I could atleast order the tuner with a map from FM"

as I said once I know exactly what I have then I can at least get the tuner and a map and ride with that until I decide if I'm going to upgrade Parts on the bike or not and decide to go with either the auto tune or Target tune add-ons or even have an actual Dyno tune done.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:26 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by Scudda
How do you know the bike does not have a tuner on it already? Have you pulled the seat to take a look?

There is also a good chance that the HD Mothership has no Idea what was done to the bike. I tried the same thing with my 05 Fatboy and they had no record of it.

If you cannot find a record of what was done and specific cams and compression, Fuel Moto will have a hard time with supplying the correct map.

And your biggest issue with low end torque is the true dual exhaust setup on that bike
you have me there I have no clue the Blake may have a tuner on it I have had the seat off because I had to replace the battery but I wasn't looking for anything. I just wanted to get the battery in and get the bike off the trailer and put away since it was like 10 degrees outside. I never thought to look or even considered that the tuner would be left on the bike.

I'm hoping to get lucky with the dealership since the previous owner told me that as far as he knows the bike spent its whole life a couple of towns over. That would have put him right in Horsepower Harley-Davidson of Williamsport pa's backyard and that is one of the two most popular Harley shops in the area

if I strike out there I'll probably end up doing some exploratory surgery or letting my local Indy dig into it a little bit to at least give me an idea of what I'm dealing with so I can figure out where to go from there. The downside to that is I probably wouldn't want to dig into it until next winter and I have limited free time but at least the bike does seem to run perfectly fine so it's not like I'm on a deadline. I just can't stand not knowing and I didn't really think about it when buying the bike. When he said it had a 103 I just assumed that somebody slapped a quick Big Bore Kit on it and called it a day not realizing it wasn't that simple with a tc88 like it is some of the newer Motors.

I'm not really looking to turn it into a monster either but if there is just something simple like one part or a tune that is really holding it back and could live in it up I would gladly do that. I wouldn't mind getting a tuner and either swapping cams or pipes but I'd really rather not have to do both just do to cost. I also wouldn't mind changing the gearing at the pulleys to trade in some of that top speed that I never really use. Some people may want a 130 mile per hour Harley but for me I cant honestly say I enjoy being much over a hundred on a Harley

Old 03-15-2021, 09:29 PM
The Outlaw
Tourer

The manual is the next thing I need to tackle. I've heard quite a few times to get the Harley manual over any of the aftermarket manuals over years but I've never actually seen a Harley service manual I'm going to see if a friend has one I can check out. Everything else I've ever owned I've always been told to make sure I got a Haynes or Clymer manual for it and those always served me pretty well over the years but if the Harley manual is actually worth three times the price I'll gladly pick one up.

Old 03-16-2021, 08:32 AM
The Outlaw
Tourer

It's looking like some exploratory surgery is going to be the only option. I spoke to the dealership where the bike was originally purchased this morning and they did have some stuff in the system but it was all just basic service stuff like changing light bulbs and oil. Hopefully I can at least get a compression test done today or tomorrow and see if that helps at all

Old 03-16-2021, 09:10 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by The Outlaw
The manual is the next thing I need to tackle. I've heard quite a few times to get the Harley manual over any of the aftermarket manuals over years but I've never actually seen a Harley service manual I'm going to see if a friend has one I can check out. Everything else I've ever owned I've always been told to make sure I got a Haynes or Clymer manual for it and those always served me pretty well over the years but if the Harley manual is actually worth three times the price I'll gladly pick one up.
If you intend to work on, modify, etc. your bike; the HD service manual is definitely the one to get. The others will just frustrate you.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:28 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,594 Likes on 1,817 Posts

How far are you from Nazareth? Dave @ JDs can access your ECM to see what map is in there, & if a tuner is installed, and can perform a baseline dyno to see where you're at performance/efficiency wise. Decisions can then be made.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:57 AM
The Outlaw
Tourer

also found 2 sets of numbers on the bottom half

*jdb5042170*
shouldn't there be some writing on the cylinders or heads besides just the little plate that says cnc-ported?

Old 03-16-2021, 10:06 AM
The Outlaw
Tourer

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
How far are you from Nazareth? Dave @ JDs can access your ECM to see what map is in there, & if a tuner is installed, and can perform a baseline dyno to see where you're at performance/efficiency wise. Decisions can then be made.
sorry I missed your post when I dropped in to add about finding the numbers this morning. I am two and a half hours from Nazareth I'm close to State College Pennsylvania. I'm not sure what his turnaround time is but that would be the deciding factor with being that far away only because I work 6 14-hour nights a week so that kind of puts a damper on things like that. Now if I could find a way to strap it to the milk truck that would be another story since I drive by that area almost nightly for work. If that is something I could get done in an afternoon that would be pretty sweet.

Old 03-16-2021, 01:55 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,594 Likes on 1,817 Posts

He does work by appointment, so I'm sure something could be worked out- even if it's a trailer hitch on the milk truck
I'd call him @610-297-0321

Quick Reply: mystery motor on 05 deluxe?