Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

'03 TC88 winter checkup (previously t 26 torx?)

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2022, 07:54 PM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Back again, after many fits and starts.

Engine internals all installed/assembled. Now, on to the exhaust.

I've removed the carbon buildup in the exhaust ports. The new gaskets are ready, the pipes cleaned and ready.

Next question, because I am seeing conflicting info: on the studs, red loctite, blue loctite, anti-seize/Hylomar? Other? Is there something in the shop manual stating which to use? I have the HD manual and a Clymer - I simply can't find that info. Searches here have mentioned all 3. I'm disinclined to go blue, simply because of the temp range. Red would certainly werk - I hope to never have to remove the exhaust, but a careful application could facilitate removal.

I'm getting closer to completion!

TIA!

Old 06-03-2022, 11:22 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

No Loctite; anti sieze.

The following users liked this post:
MarlinSpike (06-05-2022)
Old 06-05-2022, 08:44 AM
MarlinSpike
Road Master
Received 632 Likes on 377 Posts

This is quite the read and very interesting. Appreciate the OP'r taking the time to share what he is doing.

PaperBag (06-12-2022)
Old 06-12-2022, 06:43 PM
PaperBag
Banned
Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

IT RUNS!! LOL

RE the studs - I asked a shop guy who seems to know, he said dry, so that's what I did. Just an FYI, when I removed the headers, no problem, and there wasn't anything on the threads...

Finally buttoned it all up, new oil, did the oil purge and filter, 1/2 gallon of fresh gas in the tank, and backed it up to my cellar door. Hit the starter and immediately found out the *one thing* I forgot in my enthusiasm to BE DONE with this forever project. Yeah, ya gotta put the spark plugs in for it to go. Hehehe!

Because I'd never wrenched on a HD before, I did EVERYTHING by the book(s). And with the advice of folks here who have much more knowledge than me. THANK YOU ALL!!

So yeah, it started! I let it run for a few minutes to warm, and then ran it gently up and down my road, roughly 3/4 mile one way a couple times, listening and looking for anything that would indicate I f'ed up. Nothing out of the ordinary. I parked in the driveway and gave it a thorough visual inspection. Nothing out of the ordinary. Started it up again to listen, same-same. Called the closest inspection place (local HD boutique) to get it inspected and took it in after a stop to top off the tank, and now I'm legal. Well....

I'll be riding it some this week. It's Motorcycle Week here in NH, and I hope to take in some of the festivities. I'm going to put some miles in beforehand just in case, but Thursday some buddies and I hope to ride up Mt. Washington, WX permitting. The auto road used to celebrate the week by closing down except for bikes on Thursdays. From what I'm hearing, they don't do that post-COVID. It's a ritual for us to go, so we're doing it anyway. Friday or Saturday the gf and I plan on going to the Weirs to enjoy the scenery. I'd like to arrive there in the mid- to late afternoon, if only to find a place to park.

It's good to be back in the wind. See you on the road, and thanks once again to all!

MarlinSpike (06-13-2022)