Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Oil Cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 02:43 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Oil Cooler question

I have a 2006 Ultra with a CSC trike conversion. I have been toying with the idea of adding an oil cooler but the cost of them is pretty outrageous. The thing that they all seem to have in common is that they use a plate that goes under the oil filter to route to oil to the cooler so the cost of making that piece seems to be what adds to the cost. Back years ago I had an 81 Wide Glide that I plumbed an oil cooler into the oil lines from the oil tank and was wondering if the same thing could be done on my 2006?

Old 12-18-2020, 02:58 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,165 Likes on 6,705 Posts

You don't have an oil tank. More like an oil pan configuration.
I did an oiler cooler on the wife's Dyna. You just change the oil filter mount to one that has spigots for in and out.
Worth it and easy.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:00 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser

What are your thoughts about plumbing it into the inlet side of the oil pump?

Old 12-18-2020, 03:12 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

I liked the oil filter mount because it kept the lines short, in the theory that less distance meant less pressure loss.
On the other hand, I have the same cooler on my Evo (where that mount isn't available), and is plumbed like you say. I have a pressure gauge on that bike, and however accurate it is, it hasn't seemed to affect it. And that bike has a ton of miles on it.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:20 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I had changed the cams last year and did an S&S kit with cam chest and oil pump. I consistently run 32 psi at 3k rpm so I don't think there will be a problem. Can also look into oil line that withstands high pressure to eliminate any flex and potential pressure loss also.

Old 12-18-2020, 03:52 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer
Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by klkordzi
I have a 2006 Ultra with a CSC trike conversion. I have been toying with the idea of adding an oil cooler but the cost of them is pretty outrageous. The thing that they all seem to have in common is that they use a plate that goes under the oil filter to route to oil to the cooler so the cost of making that piece seems to be what adds to the cost. Back years ago I had an 81 Wide Glide that I plumbed an oil cooler into the oil lines from the oil tank and was wondering if the same thing could be done on my 2006?
Hey. Not sure if your model has lowers but perhaps an alternative to the cooler would be a 3Guyz oil filter relocation kit in conjunction with a reusable filter set up. Some have fins machined in to the case surrounding the filter element. First benefit is you won't dump oil all over the front of your motor anymore as this set up allows the filter to spin off vertical. And you will definitely shed some oil heat with a ribbed oil filter canister. This combination works for me on my Softail. Kind of a Two for one purchase. Check out the 3Guyz website. Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Usefulnut (02-07-2021)
Old 12-18-2020, 03:56 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member

Steel braided is good, and looks nice.
My Evo has .050" shaved heads, cam, and a bunch of other performance parts in it. Higher compression, higher heat, so I put in the oil cooler. My Toolmaker friend was making them, and it has a valve that I can shut off in cold weather. My wife's has a thermostat in that oil filter mount, so you never have to shut the valve.

The best thing about it on my Evo is the pressure stays higher now, even after prolonged riding in the high desert.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:14 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

The Cheesehead in today's posts has an oil cooler for sale as well. Likely would fit your model as well. Sounds like it's discounted pretty good.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:23 PM
LenBoyLo
Tourer

klkordzi
Look under multi fit parts and accessories and touring parts. That's where Cheesehead has it for sale.

Old 12-18-2020, 06:28 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser

I checked out the cooler Cheesehead listed. Interesting that he listed it today for over $200 and last month had it listed for $75.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler question