Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Oil Cooler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 04:54 PM
tdrglide
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 224 Posts

I'm thinking of adding a Wimmer single10" oil cooler to my 03, 117" RG. Inline after a SE cooler. Anyone tried these? Any little bit helps. Pictures look nice

I also eliminated the useless air temp gauge. Replaced it with a Marlin cylinder head temp gauge. Sensor on the rear left side head bolt. Also mity-mite fans for when stuck in traffic in the heat.
I have toasted a motor before

Old 01-10-2021, 09:13 PM
REW13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 787 Likes on 652 Posts

Djl the filter couldn't go on the down tube on your frame? Does it cool at all where you located it? Curious and looks different..

Old 02-07-2021, 04:38 PM
Usefulnut
Advanced
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I went with Love Jugs Coolmaster in gloss black. The wife says it looks like the engine has Mickey Mouse ears but last summer I was stuck in stop and go traffic for over an hour where the flow of traffic was just creeping along. Just enough to keep the engine from going into parade mode. Anyway, with the fans running the oil temp never got over 230 degrees. That's considered normal operating temperature for a 103. They definitely did their job.

My thought is that it's an air cooled engine. Cooling the oil is just alleviating a symptom. None of the higher capacity oil pans, oil coolers, finned oil filters or relocation kits will do much without the airflow in the first place. Only slow down the inevitable build up of heat. If you can keep air flowing across your cooling fins then you don't build the heat in the first place and the oil doesn't get too hot and start breaking down. I did one time see an oil cooler/heat exchanger that had built in fans that automatically turned on when the oil reached 210 degrees. It looks like a smart design and mounts where the original oil cooler would. Can't remember the name but I do remember it was something like $500 for the kit. That would be my second choice if the Luv Jugs didn't work out.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:10 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I just picked up a used Jagg fan assist oil cooler for $200. It is for a softail and mounts to the frame down tube and is also listed for my Ultra Classic but recommends a front mount one. I figured for the price I'll make up a mount for it. I'm also thinking of eliminating all the wiring etc to connect the fan to a sensor and just connect it to the Accessory switch.

Old 02-07-2021, 06:37 PM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Originally Posted by REW13
Djl the filter couldn't go on the down tube on your frame? Does it cool at all where you located it? Curious and looks different..
Sorry for the really late reply; just saw this. I suppose it could but the vendor doesn't make a mount for that location. If you fabbed up a mount, you could mount the filter anywhere you want.

Also for the OP, the vendor for the relocation kit, Moore Sensible Products (MSP) now makes a block adapter which eliminates the need for the additional piece of hardware the kits include to route oil.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:15 AM
klkordzi
Cruiser

I ended up installing the cooler on the down tube and removing the wind diverter from the lower fairing. I did away with the temp sensor switch for the fan and used the Aux switch to turn the fan off and on manually. Also replaced the air temp gauge with an oil temp gauge with the sensor run into the oil pan. The majority of my riding is highway back and forth to work with occasional stop and go. I've rarely seen the oil temp get above 160 even without the fan.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:43 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

Don't know how far away work is but the low oil temp is the result of the short ride. JMHO but a good long ride to get the oil temp up to max would be a good idea just to know what that temp is. Oil temp should get past 180* to burn off any moisture in the oil; actually, 200* would be better.

Old 06-23-2021, 03:22 PM
klkordzi
Cruiser

Ever since I did this I've been curious whether the gauge is giving me an accurate reading of the oil temp or if the oil pan is impacting the reading by acting like a heat sink. I can definitely tell you that when sitting in traffic with the oil temp reading 160, there is still a great deal of heat coming off the heads trying to roast my legs.