Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

Cam Chain Tensioners????

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2020, 06:36 AM
ROLLING THUNDER1974
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cam Chain Tensioners????

Ive got an 03' FXSTFI ,picked it up about 4 moths ago but hadn't ridden much at first.
changed bars, controls, cables etc.
24,000 miles, runs excellent & sounds excellent.
no knocks, vibrations, noises etc.
changed all 3 fluids about 85 miles ago, Oil was dirty but no metal Whatsoever. The magnet on the plug was clean.
​​ This is my 1st twin Cam, All I keep hearing, is how the cam chain Tesioners will break up, & destroy my engine if i dont change them??
Can someone give me some insight on this please.
I have no problem pulling it apart & changing things is it something i definitely need to do sooner before later..
i do all my own work but i havnt done alot of engine work.
How complicated is it & whats my best option?
hydraulic, gear driven, just different tensioners or should i do nothing???
knowledgeable comments appreciated!🍻

Last edited by ROLLING THUNDER1974; 08-31-2020 at 06:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ROLLING THUNDER1974:
HarleyTCL (08-07-2021), Thantos (03-06-2021)
Old 08-31-2020, 06:46 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts

You won't know what shape the tensioner system is in unless you inspect it.

After researching the same issue for my 2001, I just went ahead and installed the HD hydraulic cam chain tensioner kit. The original tensioner was ok, but the spring loaded setup is not as reliable as the hydraulic.

Kit costs about 500 bucks. The time in between recommended inspections is much better with hydraulic and you won't have to worry about the original system breaking.

The following users liked this post:
IronAss (08-31-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 07:15 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,368 Likes on 971 Posts

The early twin Cams 1999-2006 had some issues.
1. Spring loaded cam tensionars can and will break apart. If this happens it can ruin the engine. Most people convert them to the screaming eagle cam plate . There are a few ways you can go at this issue

2. Inner cam bearings. Most people upgrade these when they take care of the first issue

Harley1004 (09-24-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 08:04 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

There are tons of threads on this. You should read them yourself. I had the SE Cam Chain Tensioner and Oil Pump Upgrade done at a Harley Dealer. I am extremely happy with it, 20k miles on it, no problems. I did pay about $1,300 and it's probably more now. I had it done in 2015.

Harley1004 (09-24-2020)
Old 08-31-2020, 09:53 AM
djl
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 2,227 Likes on 1,611 Posts

As has been said, several ways to address the issue and the all vary in price, so how the OP chooses to address the issue may depend on funds available. What I read is the OP has a stock bike, maybe Stage I the is in good condition and running well with no mention of performance upgrades planned for the immediate future. 24K miles is the point where many have experienced tensioner failure. The tensioners on my '02 FLHT were gone at 25K miles and at 12K miles on my '05 FXSTD. The most cost effective way to address the tensioner issue would be to replace the OEM tensioners with a set of CYCO tensioners which requires removing the cams from the cam plate which requires replacing the outer cam bearings. As has been suggested, the inner cam bearing should be replaced wtih a set Koyo/Torrington B-148s. Pay attention to the direction of the chain rotation so it can be replaced the way it cam off. At 24K miles, I would replace the lifters as well with an aftermarket lifter. Of course, the oil pump, scavenge port and cam plate o-rings should be replaced as well.

Time consuming job but not mechanically challenging. A bearing puller/install tool will be required for the inner cam bearings will be required as well as the pressing in/out of inner cam bearngs and cams. There are work arounds for those operations. If the OP doesn't have the service manual that is the first thing he should purchase.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:13 PM
Lunchboxx
Road Master

Received 185 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ROLLING THUNDER1974
Ive got an 03' FXSTFI ,picked it up about 4 moths ago but hadn't ridden much at first.
changed bars, controls, cables etc.
24,000 miles, runs excellent & sounds excellent.
no knocks, vibrations, noises etc.
changed all 3 fluids about 85 miles ago, Oil was dirty but no metal Whatsoever. The magnet on the plug was clean.
​​ This is my 1st twin Cam, All I keep hearing, is how the cam chain Tesioners will break up, & destroy my engine if i dont change them??
Can someone give me some insight on this please.
I have no problem pulling it apart & changing things is it something i definitely need to do sooner before later..
i do all my own work but i havnt done alot of engine work.
How complicated is it & whats my best option?
hydraulic, gear driven, just different tensioners or should i do nothing???
knowledgeable comments appreciated!🍻
Best thing to do is open it up and have a look and go from there. If you do need to replace them get the CYCO shoes its a relatively simple job.
If you don't already have one, get a factory service manual. Very helpful!

Old 08-31-2020, 07:16 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The cam chain tensioners on the early twin cams is a plastic shoe that has a spring pressing it into the cam chain to make tension. The service life I've always heard for these was 20k. If you're not planning to do anything high performance then just pull the cam cover off and inspect and replace as needed with OEM parts and youl'' be okay. If performance is in your future then get a hydraulic tensioner upgrade or gear drive cams.

Thantos (03-06-2021)
Old 09-22-2020, 11:13 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The cam chain tensioners are a plastic shoe that rides on the cam chain to keep it tight. Eventually the plastic shoe wears out or breaks and there’s your problems. I’ve always heard that you should check or change them every 20k miles.

as far as solutions here’s your options. 1. Check them and replace as needed. 2. Do an upgrade to hydraulic tensioners with a new cam plate and so on. 3 upgrade to gear drive cams, this is the most expensive and most difficult but would also be the most durable.

if it was me, I would just check and replace as needed unless you’re interested in performance. If that’s the case then I’d be getting performance cams and upgrading everything at once probably going with the hydraulic cam tensioner option and then getting performance chain drive cams.

my guess is that there’s probably a how to video of all this on the interwebs somewhere already

Old 09-22-2020, 02:38 PM
major105bc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4,457 Likes on 1,610 Posts

There are basically 4 options for you to consider:
1. Gear cam upgrade (expensive)
2. Hydraulic tensioner upgrade (expensive)
3. Tensioner shoe upgrade to the CYCO shoes (relatively cheap)
4. Do nothing (not a good option IMO)

I did option 3. While I was in there, I changed the inner cam bearings and upgrade to the Andrews TW21 cams. Not hard to do if you have a factory service manual and the right tools.

s-glide76 (09-22-2020)
Old 09-23-2020, 03:14 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,415 Likes on 866 Posts

I went the CYCO option, but it's very DIY. I'm figuring a dealership would not do that, but an Indy might.

Quick Reply: Cam Chain Tensioners????