Twin Cam Motors Twin Cam 1998 thru 2017

SE585 Cam experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 09:01 PM
Stoney Lawson
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default SE585 Cam experience

Does anyone have any experience with this cam?

I have it in my 14 ULTRALTD and it's extremely noisy as far as valve train goes, I know I have .030 pushrods and stock lifters.

Just wondering as it says it's supposed to quiet down valvetrain lol

Old 06-06-2020, 06:28 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts

We use an adjustable pushrod, and load the lifter to .140-.150".
Scott

The following users liked this post:
94 ultra (07-20-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 07:05 AM
Stoney Lawson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
What exactly do you mean by load the lifter?

Old 06-06-2020, 09:02 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

There are several people here running this cam that I know of and it's not a noisy cam. There's several issues Harley top ends have that make for a noisy top end tho and while they may not be the sole cause, you might think about replacing the lifters.
S&S premiums were always known to be a quiet lifter but they discontinued them about a year ago and have everything wrapped up in their performance lifter instead. I have no experience with them.
I've found the Johnson Hylifts are a good choice tho and way cheaper too.
Check out DK Custom and their Rocker Lockers too. They solve the biggest noise issue. An annoying tick.
Harley motors have a gap between the rocker arm shaft and the bolt that is supposed to lock it. This gap allows the shaft to rotate and hit the bolt causing a tick. These helped quiet my Sporty but my softail doesn't seem to suffer from this issue.
That said, adjustable pushrods to get a proper preload on the lifters may or may not be part of the problem if you have custom made solid pushrods made for your cams' base circle already which if I'm not mistaken is the same as stock anyway. They do allow you to load them further than half way tho and sometimes that helps the noisy lifter issue if that's your noise.
I've got the S&S 570s and the only noise I hear is a whirring sound at idle commonly associated with cams such as the 570s and 585s. Nothing to worry about tho.
Without being a little more specific about the noise, that's about all I can offer in the way of a solution except to say Harleys do have noisy top ends. Mine is unusually quiet.
If this is a new noise associated with the cam install, it could be normal sound asociated with any high lift cam too. 585s are pushing the limits of the stock springs. The cam itself isn't noisy but it indirectly causes noise you're not use to hearing if that makes sense.
Hope this helps but probably raises more questions than answers.

Last edited by 60Gunner; 06-06-2020 at 09:43 AM.
Stoney Lawson (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 09:50 AM
Stoney Lawson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 60Gunner
There are several people here running this cam that I know of and it's not a noisy cam. There's several issues Harley top ends have that make for a noisy top end tho and while they may not be the sole cause, you might think about replacing the lifters.
S&S premiums were always known to be a quiet lifter but they discontinued them about a year ago and have everything wrapped up in their performance lifter instead. I have no experience with them.
I've found the Johnson Hylifts are a good choice tho and way cheaper too.
Check out DK Custom and their Rocker Lockers too. They solve the biggest noise issue. An annoying tick.
Harley motors have a gap between the rocker arm shaft and the bolt that is supposed to lock it. This gap allows the shaft to rotate and hit the bolt causing a tick. These helped quiet my Sporty but my softail doesn't seem to suffer from this issue.
That said, adjustable pushrods to get a proper preload on the lifters may or may not be part of the problem if you have custom made solid pushrods made for your cams' base circle already which if I'm not mistaken is the same as stock anyway. They do allow you to load them further than half way tho and sometimes that helps the noisy lifter issue if that's your noise.
I've got the S&S 570s and the only noise I hear is a whirring sound at idle commonly associated with cams such as the 570s and 585s. Nothing to worry about tho.
Without being a little more specific about the noise, that's about all I can offer in the way of a solution except to say Harleys do have noisy top ends. Mine is unusually quiet.
If this is a new noise associated with the cam install, it could be normal sound asociated with any high lift cam too. 585s are pushing the limits of the stock springs. The cam itself isn't noisy but it indirectly causes noise you're not use to hearing if that makes sense.
Hope this helps but probably raises more questions than answers.

absolutely understandable, I replaced the lifters chasing the noise, and the noise remained.

is the noise i'm chasing at cold start

Old 06-06-2020, 11:23 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Have a look around my website, might be just what you need! Thousands of happy customers no longer have a tapping problem

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-07-2020, 05:41 AM
Stoney Lawson
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Have a look around my website, might be just what you need! Thousands of happy customers no longer have a tapping problem

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters
alreadbordered a set the other day

ROCKOUT Rocker Products (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 10:30 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Thanks man, let me know if I can help in any way.

Stoney Lawson (06-07-2020)
Old 06-20-2020, 12:37 AM
60Gunner
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 904 Posts

Damn. Just listened to your video. That's pretty bad. You say it's a cold start issue and goes away as it warms up?

Old 06-23-2020, 12:37 PM
slippin_jimmy
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
Scott
I have the .583 gear drive cams in my WG. Would you preload lifters to .140 or .150 there too? I have mine adjusted to S&S spec of .120''

I asked them why I wouldn't want to be at .100'' right in the middle of travel and they said .120'' will quiet it down. I'm okay with the noise. I got a Fat Cat on there.

Quick Reply: SE585 Cam experience