Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hyper Lights on 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:00 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Hyper Lights on 2014

I have a set of 16 LED Hyper Light pods I want to put on the rear of the TG trunk, under the corner of the rear side light. My question is will I hurt, damage the new Can Bus wiring if I tie into the brake lights? The Hyper Light pods will flash 5 times quickly and go to steady on when brakes are applied. I think this is a good accessory for vehicles behind any motorcycle.
Any suggestion on where I should tie into? Harness under seat? Anyone provide a picture of where to locate brake wires?
Just a little apphrensive on the new wiring system...

Thanks all

Old 09-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Oogie Wa Wa
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 255 Posts

If the HyperLights are like the ones I had on my 05 R1200RT, which also uses a CanBus, they have a ground lead, a sensing lead, and a power lead. The sensing lead ties to the brake light circuit, but is high impedance (low current) and doesn't bother it. The power lead comes from somewhere else that supplies the operating current for the lights. I had a charging port on the back of the BMW that went right to the battery, so I tied into that for power.

No problems, I really liked having them, and I've been thinking about adding a set to the trike. Haven't figured out where to grab power from back there yet, but there's a plug-in power port accessory that goes back in the Tour Pack, so power must be available readily somewhere; either inside it, or on the way there under the back of the seat.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:21 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Oogie Wa Wa
If the HyperLights are like the ones I had on my 05 R1200RT, which also uses a CanBus, they have a ground lead, a sensing lead, and a power lead. The sensing lead ties to the brake light circuit, but is high impedance (low current) and doesn't bother it. The power lead comes from somewhere else that supplies the operating current for the lights. I had a charging port on the back of the BMW that went right to the battery, so I tied into that for power.

No problems, I really liked having them, and I've been thinking about adding a set to the trike. Haven't figured out where to grab power from back there yet, but there's a plug-in power port accessory that goes back in the Tour Pack, so power must be available readily somewhere; either inside it, or on the way there under the back of the seat.
Thanks, I did go the the web site and they also stated that it is OK for CAN BUS wireing....