Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 Maine HOG Rally

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014 | 10:54 AM
VaThumper
|
Intermediate
Question 2014 Maine HOG Rally

Anyone going to this years HOG Rally in Old Orchard Maine?

Old 06-05-2014 | 09:12 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

I'm not going because Old Orchard Beach has been, and is still one of the least biker friendly towns in the State O' Maine. They have loud pipe restrictions which they enforce. They have motorcycle parking restrictions which they enforce. They even have restrictions on how many times you can ride around town, no joke! I've gotta say that the State Rally Comittee has done a very good job of addressing these issues with the OOB city council, but I choose not to contribute to their economy. For my money, I'd go to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Anyway, I hope that you enjoy your trip to Maine. It's well worth seeing. Ride Safe
Mike

Old 06-05-2014 | 09:46 AM
VaThumper
|
Intermediate

Thanks for the info. We are going 2 be there only 1 day and are going to Bar Harbor and even up into Canada. Looking forward to seeing the Coastal parts of Maine most. Hope to eat my share of your Lobsters!

Old 06-06-2014 | 06:55 AM
cochon
Road Warrior

In my opinion,if you want to have the best commercial lobster feed (the best lobster feeds in Maine are served in somebody's back yard) on the coast of Maine, you must go to Boothbay Harbor and buy tickets for the Cabbage Island Clambake. It'll take all afternoon, but it's highly worth it! For your ticket you get a boat ride out to the island. Once they have everybody on the boat, they know how much food to prepare, and are doing that while you take a leisurely trip around the harbor. When you arrive, you will have a little while before the meal is ready so there is time to explore the island. It is only a couple of acres, so you can't get lost. There are eagle nests, osprey nests, hammocks badminton, horseshoes, lots of picnic tables, a gift shop. When the dinner bell rings, you get a meal that is huge: a salad, a drink, a boiled egg, a bowl of seafood chowder, rolls, a big bowl of steamer clams with drawn butter, a baked potato, 2 lobsters with butter, and for dessert a piece of blueberry cake. One time I went out there and after the meal, they asked me how it was. I told them that it was good but I was still hungry. Their response was to go get me two more lobsters! I never told them that I was still hungry again. Now, if seafood ain"t your thing, they also have chicken. I'm going to stop now because I think that I sound like a salesman---I'm not, just a huge fan! Enjoy your trip. Don't forget to go to Acadia and also be sure to go out to Schoodic Point, which is a small part of Acadia National Park that is not within the main body of the park. Well worth seeing. Ride Safe
Mike

Old 06-06-2014 | 07:41 AM
J F GO
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by cochon
In my opinion,if you want to have the best commercial lobster feed (the best lobster feeds in Maine are served in somebody's back yard) on the coast of Maine, you must go to Boothbay Harbor and buy tickets for the Cabbage Island Clambake. It'll take all afternoon, but it's highly worth it! For your ticket you get a boat ride out to the island. Once they have everybody on the boat, they know how much food to prepare, and are doing that while you take a leisurely trip around the harbor. When you arrive, you will have a little while before the meal is ready so there is time to explore the island. It is only a couple of acres, so you can't get lost. There are eagle nests, osprey nests, hammocks badminton, horseshoes, lots of picnic tables, a gift shop. When the dinner bell rings, you get a meal that is huge: a salad, a drink, a boiled egg, a bowl of seafood chowder, rolls, a big bowl of steamer clams with drawn butter, a baked potato, 2 lobsters with butter, and for dessert a piece of blueberry cake. One time I went out there and after the meal, they asked me how it was. I told them that it was good but I was still hungry. Their response was to go get me two more lobsters! I never told them that I was still hungry again. Now, if seafood ain"t your thing, they also have chicken. I'm going to stop now because I think that I sound like a salesman---I'm not, just a huge fan! Enjoy your trip. Don't forget to go to Acadia and also be sure to go out to Schoodic Point, which is a small part of Acadia National Park that is not within the main body of the park. Well worth seeing. Ride Safe
Mike
x2 but one day won't be near enough time to do this.Maine is a great place to visit so come for a week.

Old 06-06-2014 | 07:45 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Do they hold the rally at Golden Corral?

Old 06-07-2014 | 09:55 AM
VaThumper
|
Intermediate

Wow! You guys are making me hungry! We are going to be in the area for 6 days just spending 1 day at the HOG Rally Site. So many things to see, not sure which to put on the must do list except Arcadia is #1 on our list. Gonna make the long trek to Canada just to say we rode there. (Bucket List). Stopping at Laconia on the way up is also a must for us. Won't be there during the event but want to see that part of the world. Thanks to all for the input! Thumper

Old 06-07-2014 | 12:46 PM
cochon
Road Warrior

Another great place to see if you're in New Hampshire is Mt Washington! Well worth the ride up, but, make sure your brakes are in good shape, you will need them.

Old 06-07-2014 | 07:31 PM
ZD
Road Master

Man... I grew up in Maine and there wasn't anything like that going on back then! It's a beautiful place to visit... But I can't afford to live there!

Old 06-08-2014 | 01:25 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

Originally Posted by cochon
Another great place to see if you're in New Hampshire is Mt Washington! Well worth the ride up, but, make sure your brakes are in good shape, you will need them.
Might not want to do it on a Triglide! My back brakes suck! Even after I replaced them .

Quick Reply: 2014 Maine HOG Rally