Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

To Trike or not to Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:59 AM
bwiningr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Trike or not to Trike?

I am 55 years old and have been riding motorcycles all my life. I took a few years off when my son was growing up, but in 2004 bought a Harley Ultra Classic and put 25k on it and traded for a 2010 Limited in 2010 and not have almost 15K on it.

I have had some back problems from time to time and even had a couple long bike trips cancel because of my back, we always ride tow up and my wife loves to ride.

I love 2 wheels but am at a point that I am seriously considering going to a Harley Tri Glide.

I know there is a safety factor with the trikes and you don't have to worry about dumping the bike.

I would like to hear from guys that have switched from two wheels to a trike and if you regretted doing it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Krautster
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go do it, I did, never looked back

Old 05-10-2014, 10:09 AM
rjl
Intermediate

Went from an ultra to the Triglide and love it .

Old 05-10-2014, 10:37 AM
guitar
Cruiser

We went from a Heritage to a Tri Glide last August and have really enjoyed the change. We ride two up most of the time and the Tri affords us a great ride and I don't worry about dumping us at stops when it may not be level, loose gravel and all those other things. With that said I am 67 so I have a few years on you.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:40 AM
JustaHawg
Banned

I'm sure you've tried a back rest? I'm 60 and have 3 herniated discs which are now somewhat in remission. My $99 Grasshopper back rest made a world of difference. I know a trike is probably inevitable but I figure I have a lot of years left on the Heritage.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm 48 and suffer from kidney disease and diabetes. I am getting to the point I can't feel my feet (neuropathy). Same as the op I rode my entire life. Wife talked me into a trike demo and have never looked back. Do it. The freedom is still the same but the stability is so nice!

Rax

Old 05-10-2014, 10:55 AM
WRE4U
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 252 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm 67 as well, most all ailments including neuropathy, and traded in the softail deluxe for a tri-glide. If you ride two up most of the time, then get the trike!! You will never be happier, your wife will love it, and HD folks love them as well!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:06 AM
acunn1
Road Captain

I am 58 and went with a trike because I wanted a dresser and didn't know how many more years I could keep picking up that much weight. It is a different ride yes, do I regret it ...NO

Old 05-10-2014, 07:10 PM
04 Fatboy 67
Tourer

Sold my Roadglide in January and picked up my Streetglide Trike. It's the best bike I have had, and most comfortable. I don't regret it a bit, and think you will thoroughly enjoy the Tri-glide.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:38 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced

Originally Posted by bwiningr
I am 55 years old and have been riding motorcycles all my life. I took a few years off when my son was growing up, but in 2004 bought a Harley Ultra Classic and put 25k on it and traded for a 2010 Limited in 2010 and not have almost 15K on it.

I have had some back problems from time to time and even had a couple long bike trips cancel because of my back, we always ride tow up and my wife loves to ride.

I love 2 wheels but am at a point that I am seriously considering going to a Harley Tri Glide.

I know there is a safety factor with the trikes and you don't have to worry about dumping the bike.

I would like to hear from guys that have switched from two wheels to a trike and if you regretted doing it.

Thanks in advance for your input.
at our age we are on the back nine, there should be no regrets about anything. 60 yrs plus, ride'n a bike with the wifey. understand not ancient but if change keeps us in the game , get it done. 13 tri glide and regrets have none.. enjoy and be safe. JR

Quick Reply: To Trike or not to Trike?