Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

To Trike or not to Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 08:31 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 63, wife is 65. She's just not that comfortable on 2 wheels anymore, and we're reaching the age where going down just has too many risks. I still have the FLSTS, but 95% of my motorcycle experiences these days involve 3 wheels.

No regrets... Wife is tickled to pieces with the TG. It even makes grocery shopping fun again!

I might even turn loose the FLSTS and pick up a used Forty Eight or Seventy Two. I don't need the big twin for just myself, and I still dearly love a Sportster!

Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 PM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZD
I'm 63, wife is 65. She's just not that comfortable on 2 wheels anymore, and we're reaching the age where going down just has too many risks. I still have the FLSTS, but 95% of my motorcycle experiences these days involve 3 wheels.

No regrets... Wife is tickled to pieces with the TG. It even makes grocery shopping fun again!

I might even turn loose the FLSTS and pick up a used Forty Eight or Seventy Two. I don't need the big twin for just myself, and I still dearly love a Sportster!
Yes but you look so much cooler on a Springer! Just joking, at our age comfort and safety becomes more important than coolness. I'm still on 2 wheels but I keep the windshield on, just installed wind deflectors and thinking about getting a fairing :-)

Oh and I wear a helmet, need to keep my brain in one piece :-)

Old 05-10-2014, 10:20 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

In 2007 wife did the cancer dance. After 6 months of Chemotherapy she lost the feeling in her hands and feet. She had been on Harleys for 17 years. Got her an '09 Tri-glide, the second one delivered to our local dealer. She really missed her '08 Deluxe, but the trike is one hell of a lot better than a rocking chair. In 2011 I had my 2nd open heart surgery. Dr. said my riding days were over, if I went down I'd bleed to death (Blood thinners) before help could arrive. Bought wife an '11 trike and I inherited the '09. 40,000 miles later we are still riding the hell out of the trikes. Probably trade or sell the '09 for a '14 later this year. Trikes are fun, 2 wheels are funner.... BUT, cars and rocking chairs suck. Oh, I'm 69, wife is 62. Just back from a 4,000 mile ride through Yellowstone, Bryce, and Zion. GO FOR IT!!!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop messing around and get the Trike! Miles and miles of smiles!

Old 05-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

How many posting with bad backs have a dedicated core and stretching program as well as a healthy body weight?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:24 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
How many posting with bad backs have a dedicated core and stretching program as well as a healthy body weight?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:56 AM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the choice to keep riding my Road King (which I loved) and if I went down I'd be dead or a quadraplegic (because of major cervical surgery). Quit riding, trike my RK out or trade in for a TG. Wasn't ready to stop riding. After checking it all out throughly I went with the TG. Haven't looked back!!

Old 05-11-2014, 01:04 AM
JustaHawg
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Healthy body weight but need to improve on the stretching exercises. Doesn't putting my feet up on the highway pegs count?

Old 05-11-2014, 07:23 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm 63 years old. 2 years ago, I had 2 strokes. At the time, I owned a 2010 Ultra Limited with about 2500 miles on the odo. A side effect of the strokes is that I have very little balance and I walk using a cane. When my doctor told me that I would never ride a motorcycle again, I was devastated. All of my retirement dreams involved my wife and I spending lots of time on our Harleys. After doing some serious thinking and a lot of research, we decided that a new triglide was the best option for us to pursue. I found the best trade at Central Maine Harley-Davidson and we accepted delivery of a 2012 vivid black TriGlide. What a life changing move this has been!!! We love it! Last year, we were able to take a 7 week road trip, and we have several more planned. My advice to you is GO FOR IT!!! Tick tock--- life is precious and it can all change in a heartbeat. So live every moment to its fullest. You will never regret either triking your Limited, or getting a Triglide.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:15 AM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
In 2007 wife did the cancer dance. After 6 months of Chemotherapy she lost the feeling in her hands and feet. She had been on Harleys for 17 years. Got her an '09 Tri-glide, the second one delivered to our local dealer. She really missed her '08 Deluxe, but the trike is one hell of a lot better than a rocking chair. In 2011 I had my 2nd open heart surgery. Dr. said my riding days were over, if I went down I'd bleed to death (Blood thinners) before help could arrive. Bought wife an '11 trike and I inherited the '09. 40,000 miles later we are still riding the hell out of the trikes. Probably trade or sell the '09 for a '14 later this year. Trikes are fun, 2 wheels are funner.... BUT, cars and rocking chairs suck. Oh, I'm 69, wife is 62. Just back from a 4,000 mile ride through Yellowstone, Bryce, and Zion. GO FOR IT!!!
hey screwball i like your style, i too am a cancer sruvivor, they can tell us all they want about excercise and all that but it is what it is.. just get out and do it.. if we read the good book tomorrow is promised to no one.
at our age grab all you can with your partner. decisions are easier if we look at the big picture. get out there and be safe . JR

Quick Reply: To Trike or not to Trike?