Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Last chance stage 1 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Last chance stage 1 upgrade

I only have 2 weeks left, of a 60 day period, to upgrade to a stage 1 tune and equipment, intake filter and housing.. I never got a straight answer from the parts person, on what items to install, where I purchased the Trike, and when I got frustrated I went to another dealer and he said I did not need the larger exhaust , unless I wanted the deep sound. Stock exhaust supplied enough exhaust to work on the stage one tune, only needed the intake larger and the tune of the ECM. In order to be covered under the 7 year extended warranty, the install has to be done by the dealer where the Trike was purchased. If another dealer does it , it is only warranted for 2 years. So I think I will speak to the Service manager, or owner about this. I need to ask if they have done any stage 1 on the 2014 Trikes at their dealership. Maybe they have never done any. If they have done them, what equipment was installed and how was it tuned to meet EPA in California. I just installed the siren II and it was not difficult. At first I was looking at where to plug it in and was drawn to two plugs, but the pins were 5 and 8 pins. Siren only has 3. I called service and they said bring it in and they would help. $$$$ So I went back looked around for a plug with 3 wires and saw it plugged into a molded snap in harness from the factory. The directions did not show anything for the 2014 trike yet. So Harley still has not upgraded much on the Trikes yet. Found the location for the bracket that holds the siren module, and used the holding bracket that is molded to hold the siren, fit perfect. Lucky me. The antenna , I just placed on a flat spot on a plastic housing. The more I get into this trike the more I realize I am on my own with doing any upgrades. Appreciate any comments on these issues.
Al (BLT or Bucket list Trike)

Old 03-30-2014, 01:35 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

When wife and I bought her '09 we had it delivered with the stage 1 upgrade, Rush Mufflers, the SE Air Cleaner, and the download from the company. 40,000 miles later the scoot is running just fine. We did the same thing when we bought the '11, except we went with Reinhardt slip-ons (they didn't have any Rush in stock) 20,000 miles later she is still running great. No Dyno, No Tuner, No Cat Removal, no $1500 custom exhaust. 90% of our riding is in the South-West where it is VERY hot in the summer. Never had any problems with heat. The '09 will probably go away for a '14 this year, only because she would like the new 'goodies', I'll just inherit the '11 (like I did the '09. You can spend the wheel barrow full of bucks and customize the hell out of the triglide, that is what a lot of us Harley guys do, but it isn't necessary. Have fun and ride the hell out of that scoot!

Old 03-30-2014, 04:00 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
I only have 2 weeks left, of a 60 day period, to upgrade to a stage 1 tune and equipment, intake filter and housing.. I never got a straight answer from the parts person, on what items to install, where I purchased the Trike, and when I got frustrated I went to another dealer and he said I did not need the larger exhaust , unless I wanted the deep sound. Stock exhaust supplied enough exhaust to work on the stage one tune, only needed the intake larger and the tune of the ECM. In order to be covered under the 7 year extended warranty, the install has to be done by the dealer where the Trike was purchased. If another dealer does it , it is only warranted for 2 years. So I think I will speak to the Service manager, or owner about this. I need to ask if they have done any stage 1 on the 2014 Trikes at their dealership. Maybe they have never done any. If they have done them, what equipment was installed and how was it tuned to meet EPA in California.
The 2nd dealer who said you only needed to install different mufflers if your looking for a deeper sound is correct. Stage 1 is just the Screamin Eagle air cleaner and the download for it, exhaust is optional. The download they will use is compliant with all 50 states so it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm surprised they're giving you 60 days to decide, normally its at the time of delivery. Anything added after the time of delivery only has a 90 day warranty.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:26 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$1000 for screaming eagle chrome exhaust, tune of the ECM and screaming eagle intake, I can use my stock chrome air cleaner cover. They said that without the exhaust, the air cleaner and tune does not make much difference. The screaming eagle exhaust would kick up the power range 6 to 8 hp. Tired of doing all of this research. HD corporate wont have any screaming eagle exhaust till April 8, They would have to back order the exhaust, so I might not have the mufflers till the 13th. The mods have to be done by the 14th to be covered under the warrantee. I am scheduled to have the work done on the 11th of April. I told them I will take the demo models off the show room floor. They said they were scratched. I said , you cant even see the mufflers on a Trike. I just want the work and parts covered by the 7 year warrantee. Should get my DK lift and horn in a few days. Case closed. Done. Al

Old 04-04-2014, 04:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
$1000 for screaming eagle chrome exhaust, tune of the ECM and screaming eagle intake, I can use my stock chrome air cleaner cover. They said that without the exhaust, the air cleaner and tune does not make much difference.
They're full of **** up to their eyeballs, the SE mufflers are more or less tweaked stock ones. As for bumping the power, I never tested them, but I wouldn't expect they would come close to some of the better aftermarket offerings. I ran a set of SE 50 state legal mufflers on the 10 I had, they were as quiet as the stock ones, just a touch deeper. Your going to get the biggest bump from the air cleaner, the SE mufflers are more or less window dressing.

The only SE mufflers they have which show some promise are the Fatshotz, the Nightstick and the PN 65115-10 Thunder Street mufflers. All three are made by Supertrapp which makes some pretty good exhaust.

Last edited by msocko3; 04-04-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:31 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
They're full of **** up to their eyeballs, the SE mufflers are more or less tweaked stock ones. As for bumping the power, I never tested them, but I wouldn't expect they would come close to some of the better aftermarket offerings. I ran a set of SE 50 state legal mufflers on the 10 I had, they were as quiet as the stock ones, just a touch deeper. Your going to get the biggest bump from the air cleaner, the SE mufflers are more or less window dressing.

The only SE mufflers they have which show some promise are the Fatshotz, the Nightstick and the PN 65115-10 Thunder Street mufflers. All three are made by Supertrapp which makes some pretty good exhaust.
I'm running the 4" SE Street Cannons. We love the sound and the bike is running great. Just need to hook up the TTS to get rid of some decel popping. Quite a difference between these and the 3.5" Fuelmoto mufflers with quiet baffle that were installed.