Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cool Trike, +gas mileage, less stress. Stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 11:21 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cool Trike, +gas mileage, less stress. Stage 1

Dealer said I can go with screaming eagle 4 inch pipes and new large air cleaner and a stage 1 tune. The tune is $200. The screaming eagle pipes are about $400 and $60 end caps. The air cleaner $450. ? install ? That is about $1000 for parts and tune. Installation of pipes and air cleaner not sure of cost. At $100 per hour, guess labor would be about 4 to 5 hours. . Not sure if the Trike will improve much. . Another customer said the mileage will improve. Any body done this via Harley Dealer? Was it worth it?
Al

Old 03-19-2014, 11:53 PM
jonpride
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me Too

I was thinking about making the same upgrades as well as adding a Fuel Pak. All in all it would end up for me around 2k. That's a lot of MPG to just break even on the investment. Still torn. I get about 30-33 MPG right now but would love to be in the 40's. The bike is to heavy so I doubt it would even get close to that. Even at a savings of 5 MPG, it would be 120,000 miles before starting to making a profit of only gaining $0.02 per mile. Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 438 Likes on 144 Posts

I may be wrong, but I think a stage one and slipons will decrease your MPG not increase it. Anyone else know?

Bubba

Old 03-20-2014, 07:47 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Download will do very little for you. I tried that. You can get a Power Commander tuner from Fuel Moto for 300 that will be pre tuned for your mods. You can install this yourself in about 20 minutes. 450 for a SE air cleaner is insane. The price is 150, and it takes about 45 minutes to install it. Pipe price is about right. You can also do this install yourself if you have a 9/16" and 1/2" socket.

The set up we have is SE Air Cleaner, Rinehart slipons with the cat gutted, and PC V. Bikes are cooler, no more pinging like a can full of marbles, and the mileage did possibly improve a little. The addition of approximately 10 HP didn't hurt either.

Bill

Old 03-20-2014, 07:52 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Bubba49
I may be wrong, but I think a stage one and slipons will decrease your MPG not increase it. Anyone else know?

Bubba
Mileage will stay the same, Stage 1 will not improve the mileage. Only time I've seen mileage get better is either better riding technique or a tune by someone who knows how to tune one correctly.

The technique part is pretty simple, learn what the engine likes. Running 6th gear at 50 - 60 mph isn't going to net better fuel mileage. Running 5th gear at those speeds will net better mileage. Once you hit the freeway and start running 70 mph all bets are off, your mileage is going to take a hit.

The tuning part is a little tougher and can risk voiding the power train warranty if a servicing dealer wants to get pissy then make an issue out of it and drop a dime on you and contact Harley Davidson to report the bike or trike.

Old 03-20-2014, 08:06 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the Power Vision on the bars while riding. Program the thing to show throttle position, MPG, etc. It doesn't take long to figure out where the MPG are going!

My problem is that I ride the thing like a teenager. 29 mpg rain, shine or dark clouds, uphill or down. Stage one only gives a fella more reason to twist the throttle & listen to 'er bark. If you want good gas mileage, get a Prius! Otherwise: Clutch 'er, Gas 'er, Drive 'er and watch 'er.

(P.S. - Many thanks to Kevin at DK Custom for the tip on the Power Vision! It's a beautiful thing!)

Old 03-21-2014, 08:52 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default cooler

I think the main focus of adding tuners and decatted headers is to get these bikes to run better and MUCH COOLER, most of your mileage is determined by how you ride it.

Old 03-29-2014, 03:17 AM
Nextbite821
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonpride
I was thinking about making the same upgrades as well as adding a Fuel Pak. All in all it would end up for me around 2k. That's a lot of MPG to just break even on the investment. Still torn. I get about 30-33 MPG right now but would love to be in the 40's. The bike is to heavy so I doubt it would even get close to that. Even at a savings of 5 MPG, it would be 120,000 miles before starting to making a profit of only gaining $0.02 per mile. Hope this helps.
Mine was well worth the effort and cost, bout $2k. I did all the work in my garage. I would not worry about gas milage, the performance is what is important, or it was with me. If you want more mpg, I can always pick a leaner map. But with mine, it's a completely different bike.

Old 03-29-2014, 04:32 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Overall fuel mileage is subjected to a number of variables.
Tune
Weight carried
Qaulity of fuel
How you accelerate
The terrain you are riding in
Speed you ride
Is it a windy day
Tire pressure
I'm running a 124" engine in my trike and average 29-33 mpg consistently

Old 03-29-2014, 08:27 AM
Scott Hall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Careful with 4" pipes, you'll scrape them unless you raise the back.

Quick Reply: Cool Trike, +gas mileage, less stress. Stage 1