Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The Tri or Nothing choice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 11:36 AM
max_lovin_CVO
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Tri or Nothing choice...

Here's the scenario...

I used to ride before I met my wife.
We've been together for 20 years.
Her first husband was killed while riding.
I've been wanting to get back on the saddle the last two years...just turned 50... and Harley's are looking pretty sweet these days.
A while back she agreed to go to one of the Harley dealers...That was a victory...
She was patient and let me look, but the only one she said OK to was the Tri Glide. I'm like what...That's not cool enough for me! (Please don't flame) I was't buying that day anyways...but there as a glimmer of hope.

That was then, not sure where her head is now.

I'm more warm to the Tri now, but what do you guys think?
I know this is the Tri section/thread and will get positive Tri votes, but as a first Harley What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Bill

Old 02-21-2014, 11:40 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

. first think of what color you want... then throw your money down....and ride away with BIG smile on your face..

Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 PM
rwhgme
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
. first think of what color you want... then throw your money down....and ride away with BIG smile on your face..
Did the same exact thing you are contemplating..haven't looked back since!

Old 02-21-2014, 12:15 PM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Bill,

Like you I took a break from riding for many years. When I came back I chose two wheels. All was fine until I met up with a trike owner. I converted my Ultra... loved it.

I then got harassed. Sometimes friends can be real jerks but they still love ya.

Went back to two wheels. Missed the trike. Got a TriGlide, still have two wheels in the garage. Don't ever ride it, selling it, and will never look back.

I don't ride a trike because I can't ride two wheels or am forced to by anyone, medical issues included. I do because it's way cool. I seem to enjoy the ride so much more. Then there is the fact that my buddies can't catch me in the twisties.

Wiz... can I try your trike? Uhhhh, nope. Get yer own.

Wifey will love the ride. Take her to a Demo day.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:10 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Bill,

Like you I took a break from riding for many years. When I came back I chose two wheels. All was fine until I met up with a trike owner. I converted my Ultra... loved it.

I then got harassed. Sometimes friends can be real jerks but they still love ya.

Went back to two wheels. Missed the trike. Got a TriGlide, still have two wheels in the garage. Don't ever ride it, selling it, and will never look back.

I don't ride a trike because I can't ride two wheels or am forced to by anyone, medical issues included. I do because it's way cool. I seem to enjoy the ride so much more. Then there is the fact that my buddies can't catch me in the twisties.

+1 what wiz said. I always had two wheels sitting in front of my trike not being ridden (Triumph Rocket III) so I sold it to my Nephew. Trikes have always been cool and unique. I consider my time on the trike as being in the "no sheople" zone.

Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Bill, While you are correct this is a trike forum many here own both 2 & 3 wheels. Most of us still enjoy runs on both from time to time. The third wheel makes it a whole different animal. Some find that the best move in their life while others have tried the trike & have went back to 2 wheels.
One thing to keep in mind is what the co-pilot is happy with also. You sound like you want her riding with you, so......?
Never try to make a 3 wheel act & feel like a 2 wheel, It just is different. Trikes are widely accepted anymore & the age of ownership is getting younger all the time. While the trike can never replace the feel of two wheelers, the same goes the other way around.
The only way you can find out is try one ! The trike is a bit of work at first, but it gets second nature just like the 2 wheels did. If you can find one to rent for the weekend, or week is the best way to try that out. Besides breaking a bit of ice with the wife !
Good luck !

Old 02-21-2014, 03:27 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Bill,

I totally agree with Wiz. A trike is a blast to ride and is a lot more comfortable than 2.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:55 PM
JRs13TRIGLD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe momma
First I'm sure ur joking, saying ain't cool enough for me ain't cool. Who gives a rats a$& what people think. Your money decision , u get what ur baby needs to get on board, nothing like it. Like someone said, rather ride 3 wheels with her than 2 wheels without her. Good luck

Old 02-21-2014, 04:14 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

+3 or 4. Had 2 Harleys BEFORE #1 son was born, then no bikes for about 18 years. 3 two wheelers (non baggers) then an Ultra before old age and heart problems told me it was time for a trike. I fully understand the "not cool enough" thing. If I could hold one up I'd be on 2, but 3 is better than a rocking chair. Wife was in the same boat but it was cancer not heart disease that got her on 3. Trikes grow on you, they are fun!

Good Luck, happy deciding!

Old 02-21-2014, 04:32 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Tri glide

I'm in the same boat as Wiz and the others I have an 11 Tri Glide and a 2000 Heritage and the Heritage sits in the garage I ride it a couple of times in the summer just to limber it up other than that the TG tops the list. I love the Heritage and wouldn't consider selling it but I ride the TG most of the time ? ? ? Plus my wife loves the TG---- lots of storage room for those little shopping stops along the road ! ! !

Quick Reply: The Tri or Nothing choice...