Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

The Tri or Nothing choice...

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 05:11 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

first and foremost, buy it for you and your wife if that's what it takes to have her return to riding.
we all have our reasons for riding a trike as you've read. it ranges from "cool" to final option in order too continue riding. I've been a licensed MC rider since 1963. wasn't a difficult decision for me to make the switch. I just had too admit that I wasn't comfortable or sure that I wasn't going to drop the GW at stops anymore riding two up. safety first of course, but her not going w/me on rides just wasn't a option for me...I love it, she loves it, and that's all that really matters.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:51 PM
Bucket list Trike
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Just bought the 2014 Triglide from Sweetwater Harley

Always wanted one since I was about 20, rode a 63 boniville Triumph. Went to Alaska and sold it. Always a little crazy. About 20 years later a x Hells angels friend came buy and offered me his sportster to ride. Jumped on it. rode up the street and then back , passing my house with the entire family watching me, then a elderly lady pulled out in front of me. When I got off the bike I was a little shaky thinking my family almost saw me eat ****. I knew a bike was not for me, made me howl at the moon . Recently after retirement, I have had a nice boat for about 6 years, got tired of spending the money on it. Thinking on getting a 1934 Ford or a Trike. Got the Trike. On another note, went to the beach and trying to ride my wife on the back of a bicycle built for two. going down the boardwalk, the bike kept pulling/ going to the right It was my wife trying to look around my shoulder causing me to pull right and crashing on the grass. Laughed our *** off. So long story short, that's my story and sticking to it.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:49 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife will not get on anything that leans. She will not ride on my RKC. She will not sail with me anymore. I bought a TG, she is very happy. BTW, I still have my RKC.

Old 02-21-2014, 08:28 PM
TimAT
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in there with everyone else- rode 2 wheels since 1971- got the Tri in 2011 and it's been a blast!. Just me, I never thought about anything bad happening. New wife that loves setting in the rear seat, and I really got to thinking about it. Then she found out she needed both knees replaced. And silly me, I never paid much attention to how tough it was for her to get on the Ultra. She fell one time and I started watching her.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:10 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucket list Trike
Always wanted one since I was about 20, rode a 63 boniville Triumph. Went to Alaska and sold it. Always a little crazy. About 20 years later a x Hells angels friend came buy and offered me his sportster to ride. Jumped on it. rode up the street and then back , passing my house with the entire family watching me, then a elderly lady pulled out in front of me. When I got off the bike I was a little shaky thinking my family almost saw me eat ****. I knew a bike was not for me, made me howl at the moon . Recently after retirement, I have had a nice boat for about 6 years, got tired of spending the money on it. Thinking on getting a 1934 Ford or a Trike. Got the Trike. On another note, went to the beach and trying to ride my wife on the back of a bicycle built for two. going down the boardwalk, the bike kept pulling/ going to the right It was my wife trying to look around my shoulder causing me to pull right and crashing on the grass. Laughed our *** off. So long story short, that's my story and sticking to it.

Congrats on your new Trike , get ready for miles of smiles!!

I don't know if my Trike is cool enough for anybody else but it's cool enough for me and the wife! We are about 3 months away from the trip of a lifetime on it that would never have happened on my last Harley (slammed Softail Custom, factory custom paint and damn cool). I put 4200 miles on that bike in 5.5 years. I already have half that much on the TriGlide in 5 months.
I have countless thousands of miles on two wheels and they were almost all big fun, no doubt. I still think about getting another Harley 2 wheeler like a Fatboy but I can't justify it. I'd be riding the Trike with the wife aboard anyway 90% of the time.

TriGlides are way cool. Now if I only had a CanAm Spyder to choose, I'd just take the cage.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:17 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Bill, While you are correct this is a trike forum many here own both 2 & 3 wheels. Most of us still enjoy runs on both from time to time. The third wheel makes it a whole different animal. Some find that the best move in their life while others have tried the trike & have went back to 2 wheels.
One thing to keep in mind is what the co-pilot is happy with also. You sound like you want her riding with you, so......?
Never try to make a 3 wheel act & feel like a 2 wheel, It just is different. Trikes are widely accepted anymore & the age of ownership is getting younger all the time. While the trike can never replace the feel of two wheelers, the same goes the other way around.
The only way you can find out is try one ! The trike is a bit of work at first, but it gets second nature just like the 2 wheels did. If you can find one to rent for the weekend, or week is the best way to try that out. Besides breaking a bit of ice with the wife !
Good luck !
Totally agree. Kept my bagger. Rode each nearly the same amount during the 1st summer of being a trike owner. Trikes don't make you safer, there are still the same idiots that pull out in front of you. I had considered getting a trike for a couple years. Then the summer before I bought one a woman pulled out in front of me and because of a weak right leg, I laid it down as I couldn't hold up the bagger. That convinced me I need to get a trike and get it paid off before I retired. A couple people have said I should get rid of the '94. I only get a new bike every 20 years or so. I tell them that you don't get rid of the old child when you have a new one. If I sold it, I wouldn't get squat out of it. It's 20 years old!!!!! looking forward to getting my next Harley when I'm 79.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:23 AM
Fusionfool
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Funny thing how the wife's can make us come around. I had rode a two wheel bike for years, all brands started with a Rup Black Widow when I was 7. From there always had a bike. Met my wife 20 years ago, and she would never ride with me. Then 2012 we were in the convertible for a Sunday drive, she saw a CAN-AM Spyder. She said I could do that. I asked her if she meant drive one? She said no, to ride with you! I did not hesitate, I had one purchased within the week. We purchased that Spyder Limited in Aug, and rode every week loving to be out together touring. Only problem was I had the Spyder in the shop way too much for warranty repair. Our confidence was shot and did not trust the Spyder would be there for us on longer trips. By the next spring had her looking with me back at the Harley Dealer at an Ultra 2 wheel. I thought she had gotten the itch, and would like a bagger nice and comfy. She said like many times in the past, "you can buy it but I will not be on the back". So we test drove the Tri Glide. I was hooked, and she was as well. We had the Tri out for a test ride for most of the morning, and into the afternoon. I loved the anniversary edition as did she. So we had the dealer start searching. He found one he could get within the week. The rest is history. 10K miles last summer, and planning more this coming summer. I do not even look back now and think I would want a 2 wheel. Time with the wife is priceless, and with the Tri Glide stress free. Have not had one problem, or doubt we made the right choice.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in the same boat as you, I had a Road Glide that I truly loved to ride, but the better half did not feel safe on two wheels. I wanted more than anything to have her riding with me.

I have always liked the looks of 3 wheelers since I was a little kid. Decided to get the trike and haven't looked back. I is a blast to ride. When caught in a traffic jam it's much easier on the legs and body and she can move around whenever she wants without effecting the balance.

It does take a bit of getting used to (about 500 miles), but it is worth it.

Like others have said, take her for a test ride and you'll be sold. And don't worry about what others may say about a trike, their just secretly jealous. When you're at a fuel or rest stop people always come up and ask questions and admire the trike.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:04 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Same thing here. Been riding for over 30 years on 2 wheels. NEVER thought I would go 3, just wasn't happening. We were out on the Ultra riding around when I decided to stop at a dealership for a poker chip. Wife saw the Big Blue Pearl and fell in love. Me? All I saw was the 3 wheels and walked away. She convinced me to take the TG out for a test ride. Took me 3 blocks and the grin got bigger and bigger. What actually sold me? When we did a u-turn and there was sugar gravel all around. I zipped around like nothing flat, and had to wait on them LOL. That was a kicker. Plus not having to put my feet down and balance us at a stop? Priceless. Put more miles on the TG in 3 mos than the 5 years on the Ultra. Best thing I ever decided doing! ( yes I know it was the wife..but I keep telling myself that )

Rax

Old 02-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Highlux
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suggest you recover your ***** from your wifes purse. Take them immediately to the Harley Dealer. Purchase a brand new Street Glide. Ride it to the grocery store. Go in and buy a big juicy steak. Ride the bike home. Rev it up loudly as you pull up. Take the steak out...walk in...toss the steak on the counter. Say "cook me some steak woman"

Go into the den and sit in your chair. Don't say a word about the bike. She will either cook the steak....or come at you with a knife.

Quick Reply: The Tri or Nothing choice...