Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2009 Trike Exhaust Isses

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 2009 Trike Exhaust Issues

Hi gang, has anyone tried to remove the header pipes from a 2009 trike. The one piece type with the catalytic converter welded in place. I recently developed a leak at the rear exhaust header pipe and have everything loose but can't seem to maneuver the whole thing from the engine. It would be a lot easier if the two headers came apart where welded together.

Last edited by Tryker Dude; 01-16-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: thread title miss-spelled
Old 01-16-2014, 05:51 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,092 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Tryker Dude
Hi gang, has anyone tried to remove the header pipes from a 2009 trike. The one piece type with the catalytic converter welded in place. I recently developed a leak at the rear exhaust header pipe and have everything loose but can't seem to maneuver the whole thing from the engine. It would be a lot easier if the two headers came apart where welded together.
Do you have the floor board removed? You might have to leave the front pipe on the gasket & slightly pull the rear pipe to the rear out past the head, then go forward to get the front clear of the head. By the way, you didn't say, but you must also disconnect the crossover & right muffler first. Also the 3/8" carriage bolt just below the trans end cover.
Before you put anything back together, remove & re-lock-tite (blue) all the trans bolts. You will probably find some loose. Re-torque after the Lock-tite. It will save you some headaches later!
The 2009 shouldn't have a CAT if original header. Unless it is a California sold Trike.

Last edited by sloufoot; 01-16-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:11 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Do you have the floor board removed? You might have to leave the front pipe on the gasket & slightly pull the rear pipe to the rear out past the head, then go forward to get the front clear of the head. By the way, you didn't say, but you must also disconnect the crossover & right muffler first. Also the 3/8" carriage bolt just below the trans end cover.
Before you put anything back together, remove & re-lock-tite (blue) all the trans bolts. You will probably find some loose. Re-torque after the Lock-tite. It will save you some headaches later!
The 2009 shouldn't have a CAT if original header. Unless it is a California sold Trike.

Now that is why this is such a great forum! Nice!

Old 01-17-2014, 12:51 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Yep, rider's right front floor board is removed. And it is a California sold 2009. :-(

Thanks for the tip about the tranny bolts. I hadn't thought of checking them.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

By the way TwinCooled, where in New Mexico are you? Email me if you don't want to reveal on this forum to john@usatriker.info

Old 01-17-2014, 02:00 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Also sometimes pushing down on the rear brake peddle will help change the angle enough for it to swing out. The first time you do it it's a PIA after that it gets pretty quick and simple. When it comes to installing the exhaust follow the manual.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:51 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

By the way TwinCooled, where in New Mexico are you? Email me if you don't want to reveal on this forum to john@usatriker.info
Tdude, I am in ABQ area and to be honest I don't know where Williamsburg is.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:46 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Originally Posted by TwinCooled
Tdude, I am in ABQ area and to be honest I don't know where Williamsburg is.
Lol, it's a suburb of T or C.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:47 PM
Tryker Dude
Tourer

Thanks, msocko and sloufoot

Old 01-18-2014, 09:03 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Lol, it's a suburb of T or C.
I thought T or C was a suburb.

Spent a lot of time at Elephant Butte, never noticed Williamsburg. Maybe we will run into each other sometime. I look forward to it. Be Safe!

Quick Reply: 2009 Trike Exhaust Isses