Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 TG start problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 02:13 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 TG start problem

My son has a 2014 TG 2 weeks old. Rode it to work the other day and came out to go home, attempted to start it, check engine light stayed on, wouldn't crank or make a sound. Thought it was a dead FOB so got a ride home and tried second FOB - same thing. Tried multiple times to start with no luck. HD came to pick it up several hours later and of course it started right up. They towed it anyway and as of today found no start codes(?) or error codes. Still looking it over but doesn't look hopeful they will find anything specific.

Thoughts? Are their diagnostics good enough to identify a problem? In other words, if nothing was found is it a safe bet this won't happen again and strand him. This is his first HD and Trike so has currently lost a certain amount of confidence in it.

Thanks

Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I don't know anything about 2014. There may have been some type of electronic interference. I had this issue. I pushed my bike apx. 20' & it started. Check out the Owners Manual. Your dealer should have mentioned this. I'm not saying that was your problem.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:32 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpio49
My son has a 2014 TG 2 weeks old. Rode it to work the other day and came out to go home, attempted to start it, check engine light stayed on, wouldn't crank or make a sound. Thought it was a dead FOB so got a ride home and tried second FOB - same thing. Tried multiple times to start with no luck. HD came to pick it up several hours later and of course it started right up. They towed it anyway and as of today found no start codes(?) or error codes. Still looking it over but doesn't look hopeful they will find anything specific.

Thoughts? Are their diagnostics good enough to identify a problem? In other words, if nothing was found is it a safe bet this won't happen again and strand him. This is his first HD and Trike so has currently lost a certain amount of confidence in it.

Thanks

Could it have been the kill switch was in the kill position?

Old 12-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Scorpio49
Cruiser

Update: had the bike all day and found nothing. Went to move it to store it overnight and it would not start, same symptoms as my son described to them initially. They actually apologized to him for doubting his story and attributing the situation to "new rider error".
Still not a solution at this time. These intermittent problems are concerning.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, most likely at the starter. They will figure it out, he's gonna love his Trike.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:12 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Until they figure it out I sure wouldn't want to go far with it. It sure sucks to gat stranded on a MC. I hope they find the problem soon.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:58 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could cell phone and key fob be close together by chance?
Butch

Old 12-19-2013, 08:11 AM
BornTexan
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Couple years back was on a ride to Key West and stopped at a dealership down close to Daytona (for the life of me can't remember which one). Any bike wouldn't start, no matter what I tries. One of their shop mechanics witnessed my frustration and came to my rescue.

Seems there was a microwave tower right the across the street from the dealership and it screwed with some of the security systems on bikes. He told me to hold my FOB right under my left handle bar switch housing. Bike started right off. Guess the TSSM sensor or a part of it is housed in that area or it was on the '10's.

Might try.......wouldn't hurt !!

o~\o

Old 12-19-2013, 08:20 AM
Scorpio49
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BornTexan
Couple years back was on a ride to Key West and stopped at a dealership down close to Daytona (for the life of me can't remember which one). Any bike wouldn't start, no matter what I tries. One of their shop mechanics witnessed my frustration and came to my rescue.

Seems there was a microwave tower right the across the street from the dealership and it screwed with some of the security systems on bikes. He told me to hold my FOB right under my left handle bar switch housing. Bike started right off. Guess the TSSM sensor or a part of it is housed in that area or it was on the '10's.

Might try.......wouldn't hurt !!

o~\o

Interesting comment as well as the cell phone being to close to FOB. However he tried the manual over ride for the FOB and it didn't work. The fact that it has now crapped out in the HD lot might, hopefully, find a solution.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:06 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed..... Will put the fix in the ole memory bank for future use.......

Quick Reply: 2014 TG start problem