Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 02:37 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by HOGN IT
I've only been riding the trike since mid January, still only have 300 miles logged so far; but today, I took a chance and followed the advice of several people on this forum who have suggested a lift kit for the Trike. I suppose it was a mistake on my part ordering the $180 Legend lift kit from Dennis Kirk instead of the $124 Comfort Lift kit (from what I can tell they are probably the same, just manufactured to the same specs I'd bet) which they sell, but I didn't know about the Comfort Lift kit until I already had the Legend lift kit in my possession. If there is a difference, I apologize to the manufacturers of both sets of lift kits. But that's not the story.

The story is that the change in handling characteristics is unbelievable, and in a good way; make that IN A GREAT WAY! I would never have guessed that I would have been so blown away by this modification. I was trying to put a percentage improvement which I would assign to the change as I was riding home, and initially I started out at 10%, but I knew that was too low, so I tentatively upped it to 15%, but as I sit here (I just got home and checked my email and saw that there was a new entry on this thread, so I jumped on to tell my story, and back to the point - as I type this, I honestly believe it was a 20% increase in the ease of maneuvering the bike at slow speed and 15% in turning. I remember thinking to myself, this is almost as effortless as turning a two wheeler (when using the handlebars for slow turning). It was far greater than anything I could have hoped for!

Now the answer to the unasked question: had I known about the $124 Comfort Lift system, would I have bought it instead of the $180 Legend lift kit? I'm sure I would, which begs the second unasked question: given the change in handling characteristics, and NOT given an answer to the question "Are the two lift kits EXXXXXAAAACTLY the same", would you be willing to give up the Legend Lift Kit for the $124 Comfort Lift kit and be reimbursed the $56?, I'd have to say no, I'll keep what I've got. There may or may not be any differences in the lift kits, they look the same to me, but I COULD NOT be more happy than I am with the Legend Lift Kit! The difference in handling between the stock handling (which involved some man-handling) and the ease of the handling I am now experiencing has me shaking my head in unbelief as I type out this reply. The closest comparison I can get to is the handling of my first car - a 1954 Chevy - which had no power steering, as compared to my 2014 Ford Fusion which handles like a dream. The difference was that dramatic, and I am STILL shaking my head in unbelief.
You've pretty much covered the lift kit difference pretty well, very little difference other than cost. Another lift kit is from http://www.tglidestuff.com/2014newerORDERpage.html, right now Dennis is running a sale and selling them for $90. Tglidestuff has been making lift kits for many years, he also makes several other nice pieces, not to mention Dennis is as honest as the day is long and a great guy to do business with.

Last edited by msocko3; 02-18-2017 at 02:42 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:47 PM
Cool Inferno
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Well I finally installed the DK Comfort Lift Kit on my 17 TG. Had a little hickup with the install with the new exhaust outlet after the cat because it's much larger now in diameter. Had to remove all of the exhaust supports and someone pull the exhaust header out and down in order for me to be able to reinstall the reducer pipe. After that all was well.

Note: Had to remove the reducer pipe in order for the axle to drop enough for the lift kit install.

I will say that a noticeable difference in steering effort was found. As for the comfort, I will see how it goes now with different air pressures down the road. Want to say that the quality of the DK Kit looked outstanding in my book and I am a very picky person when it comes to that.

Thanks DK for all of the support.

Last edited by Cool Inferno; 02-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 06:39 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

I've only been riding the trike since mid January, still only have 300 miles logged so far; but today, I took a chance and followed the advice of several people on this forum who have suggested a lift kit for the Trike. I suppose it was a mistake on my part ordering the $180 Legend lift kit from Dennis Kirk instead of the $124 Comfort Lift kit (from what I can tell they are probably the same, just manufactured to the same specs I'd bet) which they sell, but I didn't know about the Comfort Lift kit until I already had the Legend lift kit in my possession. If there is a difference, I apologize to the manufacturers of both sets of lift kits. But that's not the story.

The story is that the change in handling characteristics is unbelievable, and in a good way; make that IN A GREAT WAY! I would never have guessed that I would have been so blown away by this modification. I was trying to put a percentage improvement which I would assign to the change as I was riding home, and initially I started out at 10%, but I knew that was too low, so I tentatively upped it to 15%, but as I sit here (I just got home and checked my email and saw that there was a new entry on this thread, so I jumped on to tell my story, and back to the point - as I type this, I honestly believe it was a 20% increase in the ease of maneuvering the bike at slow speed and 15% in turning. I remember thinking to myself, this is almost as effortless as turning a two wheeler (when using the handlebars for slow turning). It was far greater than anything I could have hoped for!

Now the answer to the unasked question: had I known about the $124 Comfort Lift system, would I have bought it instead of the $180 Legend lift kit? I'm sure I would, which begs the second unasked question: given the change in handling characteristics, and NOT given an answer to the question "Are the two lift kits EXXXXXAAAACTLY the same", would you be willing to give up the Legend Lift Kit for the $124 Comfort Lift kit and be reimbursed the $56?, I'd have to say no, I'll keep what I've got. There may or may not be any differences in the lift kits, they look the same to me, but I COULD NOT be more happy than I am with the Legend Lift Kit! The difference in handling between the stock handling (which involved some man-handling) and the ease of the handling I am now experiencing has me shaking my head in unbelief as I type out this reply. The closest comparison I can get to is the handling of my first car - a 1954 Chevy - which had no power steering, as compared to my 2014 Ford Fusion which handles like a dream. The difference was that dramatic, and I am STILL shaking my head in unbelief.
Good to hear you are enjoying your ride!!!

To answer your question-

No, they are not the same.

Our Comfort Lift™ for the Harley Trikes is different than what others are selling, and different than our Standard Lift Kit.

You can see them both HERE.

What is different about the Comfort Lift™ from the Standard Lift is it also slightly changes the angle of the shocks rearward on the swingarm. The suspension now absorbs more of the smaller and larger road imperfections, resulting in less of the bumps being passed on to the rider and passenger.

Net result is a Smoother, Plusher ride.

"The more you have a cantilever (angle) on your trikes shocks, the smoother the shocks will operate."
George of Pro-Action Shocks

As you noted, the handling is improved regardless of which of the many lift kits are on the market one uses. The added benefit of the Comfort Lift™ is some extra bump absorption.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:41 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Inferno
Well I finally installed the DK Comfort Lift Kit on my 17 TG. Had a little hickup with the install with the new exhaust outlet after the cat because it's much larger now in diameter. Had to remove all of the exhaust supports and someone pull the exhaust header out and down in order for me to be able to reinstall the reducer pipe. After that all was well.

Note: Had to remove the reducer pipe in order for the axle to drop enough for the lift kit install.

I will say that a noticeable difference in steering effort was found. As for the comfort, I will see how it goes now with different air pressures down the road. Want to say that the quality of the DK Kit looked outstanding in my book and I am a very picky person when it comes to that.

Thanks DK for all of the support.
Thanks man, appreciate your kind words.

Good to hear you got it sorted!

Old 02-20-2017, 07:21 AM
HOGN IT
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Added Custom Dynamics LED Front Fender Light

Last touch in whiting out the front lights. Those LEDs from Custom Dynamics are bright! The bike now has Custom Dynamics (front) turn signals and the fender tip lights. The turn signals turn amber when flashing. Kudos to Custom Dynamics, great products and great people with which to work!

Last edited by HOGN IT; 02-20-2017 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Adding picture
Fearless (old nickname) (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 04:01 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Last touch in whiting out the front lights. Those LEDs from Custom Dynamics are bright! The bike now has Custom Dynamics (front) turn signals and the fender tip lights. The turn signals turn amber when flashing. Kudos to Custom Dynamics, great products and great people with which to work!
The lights look good.

Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM
user 7208202182
Banned
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed Custom Dynamics LED front turn signals, but haven't changed the amber lense cover. What lense cover did you go with?

Looks good, hopefully you will be seen coming down the road, every bit helps!

Old 02-21-2017, 06:28 AM
HOGN IT
Intermediate
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 6bull
I installed Custom Dynamics LED front turn signals, but haven't changed the amber lense cover. What lense cover did you go with?

Looks good, hopefully you will be seen coming down the road, every bit helps!
I went with the Custom Dynamics clear lenses, but I saw a pair of clear lenses at the local H-D dealership last Friday, and they were about the same price, if memory serves. I'm guessing you'll be happy with either one. The brightness is really accentuated by the clear lenses and it's a cool look when they turn amber when flashing. I'm sure you'll enjoy the clear lenses!

user 7208202182 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:22 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the ProAction shocks on a couple weeks ago & finally got a chance to ride. Did about 150 miles over rough roads.. Nite & Day difference. $$ well spent if you ride the back roads like we do every long trip. No Interstates. George is a good guy to deal with at Pro-Action. Next waiting for the Love Jugs to arrive. I am sure it will be a good addition for this summer riding out West.

Old 02-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
You've pretty much covered the lift kit difference pretty well, very little difference other than cost. Another lift kit is from http://www.tglidestuff.com/2014newerORDERpage.html, right now Dennis is running a sale and selling them for $90. Tglidestuff has been making lift kits for many years, he also makes several other nice pieces, not to mention Dennis is as honest as the day is long and a great guy to do business with.
Are they still on sale? Don't see it on web site

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Tri-Glide Today?