Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:16 PM
shotgun462
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling a trailer

This subject has been covered before. Everyone has said that it is up to your dealer to either void your warranty or not if you pull a trailer. I would like to know if anyone has actually had your warranty voided for pulling a trailer. I am thinking of buying a trailer and would like to hear from anyone who actually had their warranty voided.
Thanks for your time

Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I hear a lot about warranties, here is my experience. I had my 07 ultra , 96cc, bumped to a 103cc. This was done when the bike had 11k on it. I had the work done at the dealer. 103 kit, SE breather, race tuner, and V&H pipes. When the work was all done and the tech took it for the final spin, the engine exploded and the bike locked up at 45 mph. The rear piston exploded. The bike didn't get dumped but had complete engine damage. After the factory rep took a look and determined the dealer did everything correct, a new 96cc engine was built and stamped with the same serial #. All new 103 parts were shipped from the factory and the bike put back together without costing me a $. I paid for the initial build but nothing else. I know that is not the same as pulling a trailer, but I had no issue with this dealer.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

We had an 05 that had valve seals replaced with the trailer hitch on dealer never said anything. When we bought this trike told dealer have to tow a trailer and if there is no warranty would not buy it. He said he will take care of all warranty work and if he had to call in the factory he would take the hitch off before they came and put it back on before we picked up the Trike

Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just me but if I have to pull a trailer I'm taking the truck.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:14 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,227 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun462
This subject has been covered before. Everyone has said that it is up to your dealer to either void your warranty or not if you pull a trailer. I would like to know if anyone has actually had your warranty voided for pulling a trailer. I am thinking of buying a trailer and would like to hear from anyone who actually had their warranty voided.
Thanks for your time
I have had the warranty voided by pulling a trailer.

HD Corporate is very specific, no gray area, pull a trailer and warranty is voided.

HOWEVER, some dealers don't care, and if they don't get caught you are all good.

My dealer didn't care (this was a few years back), and they were doing some warranty work on it when the Corporate regional supervisor stopped by.

He was not there for anything to do with my bike, but when he saw the hitch he looked at the work order and saw it was warranty work...he went off on the service manager.

Since they had already committed, they finished it, under warranty. But a week later I received written notification that the warranty was void on that bike. VIN was flagged as such, and when I traded it in later, the dealer had to disclose to potential buyers that even an extended warranty could never be purchased for that bike.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-28-2013, 03:03 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Some dealers can be real snakes in the grass. One dealer will state a certain modification is fine by them and another will drop a dime on you with the MoCo. When a dealer tells me they will warranty something I always ask will a dealer 1,000 miles from home also honor the warranty, their the ones you need to worry about.

Have a problem while on a trip you could be making smoke roll off the Visa card to get your bike fixed to finish your trip or get home.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:02 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in agreement with msocko3. When I bought my trike I asked about putting a hitch on it. I wasn't interested in pulling a trailer, just wanted to use it for a flag mount for PGR missions. I was told warranty would be void, I would have to remove it if I brought it in for service or warranty work. I ordered a RIVCO hitch from the dealer and while I was picking it up, the service manager told me they could install it. I said I thought they said my warranty would be void. He said if they installed it they would warranty the trike. If I did, no. My concern is being 500 miles from the dealer and something happen. Then getting flagged. While I have the bike put up for the winter, I am thinking about raising the body up and putting in the bolts from the top so I can make it a quick and easy removal if I'm on the road somewhere.
BTW, I told the service manager I thought I could install the hitch at the same times I am installing the V&H pipes and TTS tuner (which is going to void the warranty anyway).

Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 AM
shotgun462
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I hate to nit-pic but I guess the next question is; has anyone had their warranty voided for pulling a trailer by a dealer that they used when on a trip?

Thanks again

Old 10-28-2013, 07:59 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Small Motor

Originally Posted by desertclassic
I hear a lot about warranties, here is my experience. I had my 07 ultra , 96cc, bumped to a 103cc. This was done when the bike had 11k on it. I had the work done at the dealer. 103 kit, SE breather, race tuner, and V&H pipes. When the work was all done and the tech took it for the final spin, the engine exploded and the bike locked up at 45 mph. The rear piston exploded. The bike didn't get dumped but had complete engine damage. After the factory rep took a look and determined the dealer did everything correct, a new 96cc engine was built and stamped with the same serial #. All new 103 parts were shipped from the factory and the bike put back together without costing me a $. I paid for the initial build but nothing else. I know that is not the same as pulling a trailer, but I had no issue with this dealer.
96cc aint enough motor to pull that big ride is it?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:37 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by shotgun462
Thanks for the info. I hate to nit-pic but I guess the next question is; has anyone had their warranty voided for pulling a trailer by a dealer that they used when on a trip?

Thanks again
When I had my '09 TG and pulling a trailer, had to stop at Rattlesnake HD in Kennewick, WA for issues with fuse blown on the TG. Service mgr put "traveler" on the work order. Replaced a fuse and repaired the lights on my trailer.

I have a hitch on the '13 for PGR flag mount...no issues with service at my local HD dealer (High Desert HD, Meridian, ID).

Quick Reply: Pulling a trailer