Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Pulling a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 02:30 AM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,092 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by BornTexan
Seems to me they would void your warranty for not using HD oil, for non-Dunlop tires, just about anything they could dream up. Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" for something reading. They can't just void your warranty, they have to prove it.

o~\o
I'm sure all those things have been tried. In fact I know the oil thing was a problem for a number of years.
The trouble with the Mag. Moss Act is Harley has pretty deep pockets, lawyers, & can out wait you while they have your motorcycle waiting to be repaired. Or you can go ahead & pay then take them to court.....
You agree to the trailer hitch thing when you sign the warranty agreement.
They say it voids the drive train warranty, but if you have an electrical short in the lighting, they could tie things like that to the hitch also.
Many places aren't chicken $h*t about it, but just get around some rep trying to impress their bosses & watch !

Old 11-03-2013, 12:39 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BornTexan
Seems to me they would void your warranty for not using HD oil, for non-Dunlop tires, just about anything they could dream up. Google "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" for something reading. They can't just void your warranty, they have to prove it.

o~\o
While you try to prove it you ride just sits or you pay out of pocket then sue out of your pocket and hope in the next 5 years you win. A little bit of a long read but here is a post about my dads dance with Harley Davidson a Dealer owner warranty and the MM act https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...or-though.html. When they tell you that you are more than welcome to persue any leagal means you desire they do so from a pretty sound position.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:21 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Something I saw at the Grand Canyon a few years ago. Hubby and Wife riding 2 up on a Tri-Glide pulling a trailer. They were bitching a blue streak about the lack of power of their '10 Tri-Glide. Riding at 7,000 feet, I would guess He topped 300 lbs, and She wasn't too far behind. Trailers empty don't weigh that much, but they do when filled. Most dealers can't authorize major repairs, they need an OK from MoCo

Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile 96cc

Originally Posted by desertclassic
Jim, I understand. It was more than enough. I am not a hot rod guy but I do run down the road. Lots of wide open straight roads around here and most speed limits are 75 mph. Not like where I grew up in E TN, Madisonville.

Jim
I was actually kidding about the original post where he mentioned his 96cc engine. He actually meant 96 cid. Quite a difference.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
Something I saw at the Grand Canyon a few years ago. Hubby and Wife riding 2 up on a Tri-Glide pulling a trailer. They were bitching a blue streak about the lack of power of their '10 Tri-Glide. Riding at 7,000 feet, I would guess He topped 300 lbs, and She wasn't too far behind. Trailers empty don't weigh that much, but they do when filled. Most dealers can't authorize major repairs, they need an OK from MoCo
A 2010 with the 32 tooth sprocket and a couple beefers on board while pulling a trailer, I can feel its pain.

Old 11-05-2013, 01:51 PM
desertclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Noble Jim
I was actually kidding about the original post where he mentioned his 96cc engine. He actually meant 96 cid. Quite a difference.
Jim, I am heading back your way this coming spring. I will give you a shout. Jim

Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Noble Jim
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trip East

Originally Posted by desertclassic
Jim, I am heading back your way this coming spring. I will give you a shout. Jim
To be sure, give me notice. I'll block time and show you some of the greatest riding in the east.
Ride on!