Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013 | 08:52 PM
PIGGI
|
Cruiser
Default 2014 recall

Looks like H-D has a new recall out for all FLH models with a Do Not Ride order due to a clutch issue. Pass it along.

Old 10-16-2013 | 09:24 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Guess I'll be getting my 1000 mile service done with about 600 miles on it.

Old 10-16-2013 | 10:27 PM
BigBill1
Cruiser

Recall info
HARLEY-DAVIDSON ISSUES VOLUNTARY RECALLS OF CERTAIN 2014 MOTORCYCLES
Condition affects hydraulic clutch systems

MILWAUKEE (Oct. 16, 2013) – Harley-Davidson (NYSE: HOG) is acting quickly to address potential safety issues by voluntarily recalling certain 2014 Touring motorcycles equipped with a hydraulic clutch system that may pose a safety issue for riders and/or passengers. The recalls include a Do Not Ride notice to owners and a Do Not Deliver notice to Harley-Davidson dealers until the motorcycle is fixed.

“The safety of our customers is our highest priority,” said Tony Wilcox, Harley-Davidson General Manager of Motorcycle New Product Delivery. “We have identified potential safety issues and are moving quickly to notify our customers and dealers. The inspection and repair of these motorcycles is extremely important, so it’s critical that our customers with affected vehicles contact their dealers immediately. We apologize for this circumstance. The company is committed to correcting the issues and providing customers with the quality experience and service they expect.”

The recalls affect 25,185 Touring motorcycles, models FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE, and 3,861 Softail® CVOs and Trikes, models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE, built between May 3, 2013, and Oct. 14, 2013.

Some of these motorcycles may exhibit a condition in which the hydraulic clutch system may lose the ability to generate enough lift to disengage the clutch. If the clutch does not disengage as intended, the rider may have difficulty slowing or stopping the motorcycle, which could result in an accident. Harley-Davidson has initiated these recalls to correct the affected motorcycles.

The company is taking the additional measure of issuing a Do Not Ride notice to riders given the potential safety issues. The company wants owners of affected motorcycles to contact an authorized Harley-Davidson dealer immediately to arrange for an inspection. The dealer will pick up, inspect and make the necessary repairs at no cost to the owner. The repairs have been identified and should take less than one hour.

Although the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is closed as a result of the partial government shutdown, Harley-Davidson is proceeding with these voluntary recalls consistent with NHTSA’s process.

About Harley-Davidson Motor Company
Harley-Davidson Motor Company produces heavyweight custom, cruiser and touring motorcycles and offers a complete line of Harley-Davidson motorcycle parts, accessories, riding gear and apparel, and general merchandise. For more information, visit Harley-Davidson’s website at www.harley-davidson.com.

Old 10-16-2013 | 11:09 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Tomorrow is my day off, I had planned to go for a ride. I'm calling my dealer when they open and then I'm going for a ride. I know where the kill switch is.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:28 AM
Rabbit1956
Intermediate

Harley shoots there mouths off about this great Rushmore Project they said it was about what the rider wanted .Well i want a bike someone inspects and goes over before it leaves the factory this is the second problem first the fork damper now the clutch.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

They're gonna put a clutch cable on them

Levity aside, first model year anything is going to have it's teething issues. But it's becoming clear that HD didn't sort everything out on the 2014.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 10-17-2013 at 04:39 AM.
Old 10-17-2013 | 08:15 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

Called dealer this morning. Parts for the recall will be shipped from the factory on the 10/21/13. Then they will arrange to pick up the trike.
This is a pain in the butt but it is part of life. Sure it is a vendor problem May of 2013 how many 2014 were produced?

Last edited by Moe55; 10-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-17-2013 | 10:35 AM
Brentwood Bob
Cruiser

Say it isn't so. Harley and recalls don't mix. I guess it happens to the best of them. With that tongue and cheek comment said at least going forward you would think there won't be to many more issues. Harley should be looking at things closer and shouldn't be in that much of a hurry to get them out just because there selling like hot cakes. Do your do diligents Harley.

Old 10-17-2013 | 12:34 PM
DaveLaBenne
Cruiser

Glad the weather soured here in Michigan. Just had my 1000 mile done along with the last recall. There had to be complaints to NHSTA because they are involved.

It all goes with being a beta tester.

Old 10-17-2013 | 04:34 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Took mine in a little while ago. Getting the 1k done while it's there. Hope this way I get a jump on all those that wait to have theirs picked up. The dealer is like 6th in sales in the country. BTW the clutch worked wonderfully for that 16 mile ride. See it in about a week I'm guessing.

Quick Reply: 2014 recall