Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2014 recall

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013 | 11:00 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

Picked up ours on 9/6. Have no coolant leaks, steering is okay, have the slip clutch (I took off the derby cover and checked) but part of the Clutch master cylinder recall. Also have the PTT switch for CB. First ones don't look to have the issues or at least ours is okay.

Old 10-19-2013 | 12:29 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moe55
Picked up ours on 9/6. Have no coolant leaks, steering is okay, have the slip clutch (I took off the derby cover and checked) but part of the Clutch master cylinder recall. Also have the PTT switch for CB. First ones don't look to have the issues or at least ours is okay.
Welcome to the "My trike works great" Club. We have an '09 and '11 that have run great since we bought them new.

Old 10-19-2013 | 08:05 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

This was posted on another forum by Mr Wizard his info has been accurate.

Really don't want to start flaming HD but you guys should know the facts so here goes.

The parts are being "shipped" to the dealers the week of Oct 21, not received.

Most all dealers do not receive their orders until Thursday of each week.

The bikes in stock at each dealer will be fixed first. HD will not allow dealers to be left without bikes to sell.

The bikes owned and brought in will be repaired first come, first serve after the floor models.

Due to the volume of bikes being effected (I heard up to 60,000) the first shipment of repair parts will be limited.

I also hear the hydraulic clutch issue is based in the reservoir at the clutch lever. The issue will mostly effect two wheel bikes. When on the jiffy stand the fluid port falls below the fill line. When you pull in the clutch lever while on the stand air will be introduced into the hydraulic lines. When this happens the clutch may not disengage. I've also heard this is a overheating issue on the hydraulic line...doubt that is the problem. Have heard a few variations of this but the air issue makes sense and was repeated to me a few times by different sources.

There is a separate issue with the radios. These issues cause the communications center, blue tooth, CD and even the navigation system to lock up the radio. The issue is in the ECM and BUS module code. Therefore a new flash to the ECM will need to be installed. I have not heard if the code is ready at this time.

There are two colors of radiator caps. Blue and Grey. Seems, and I don't know which color goes where, the wrong color was shipped to the Water Cooled plant. (York). The Water Cooled Touring bikes are rated at 20# of pressure. The VRod is rated at 12- 15 #. Seems some of the Water Cooled Touring bikes had VRod caps installed by mistake. The VRod is made at the Milwaukee Plant.

All this information I have here is subjective to the people I get this info from. I don't get it from one person. Several contact me to discuss and this is an accumulation of what I perceive the facts to be. Sometimes you must read between the lines but when all say the same... I think you have a fact.

Last edited by Moe55; 10-19-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-19-2013 | 10:13 AM
wd112
Advanced
Default recall

Just picked up my 2014 5 days ago not happy but glade Harley is addressing the problem right away.

Old 10-19-2013 | 11:34 AM
Iowa_Ultra
Stage II

I wonder how HD will correct the clutch lever angle, so it won't let the fluid below the appropriate level?

Old 10-19-2013 | 12:14 PM
Moe55
Supporter
Supporter

Not sure if it is true but my dealer said they are replacing the clutch master cylinders. GUESSING they were manufactured with the fluid port will be below the fill line.

Old 10-20-2013 | 09:05 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

I have the survey in hand from HD on my purchase of my 14 TriGlide. How my dealer handles this recall fix on my Trike will dictate their grade. It has been in their shop since Thursday when I took it in to have the 1K done and the recall fix performed. When I took it in, I asked how much the service would be and I was quoted $258. When they called to tell me it was ready (1K complete), I asked how much the bill was for the 1K and was told the bill was $373. When I reminded them of the quote, the service advisor said "ummm, yes I remember that, let me talk to the service manager and I'll call you back." When he called back he said the bill would be $277 with tax. I bought two bikes from this dealer within 30 days. The first survey I threw away because based on my first experience I would have ripped them. They stepped up to help me on the Trike (or so I thought). There is more to this story that I am going to keep to myself for now.
Bottom line is if they push me back behind "in stock" bikes for the recall...
Can you say "rip city"??

Old 10-20-2013 | 10:35 PM
JCloud
Cruiser

Well the new TG is here.... came in Saturday afternoon. I am not sure where I am or will be on the schedule of bikes that need to be fixed. I also don't know when they will get parts. I am going in to sit down with the dealership Monday

Attached Thumbnails 2014 recall-resampled_2013-10-19_13-49-46_321.jpg   2014 recall-image.jpg  
Old 10-20-2013 | 11:01 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by JCloud
Well the new TG is here.... came in Saturday afternoon. I am not sure where I am or will be on the schedule of bikes that need to be fixed. I also don't know when they will get parts. I am going in to sit down with the dealership Monday
Congrats! Love that color combo!