Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Hello! Help with pricing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:36 AM
MO_rider
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello! Help with pricing.

I'm not new to motorcycles or new to trikes, but am new to tri glides. I am wanting a 2014 tri glide and went to my local dealer yesterday to buy one. I attempted to work out a deal with a trade that went no where. I then offered to purchase and I would sell my trade in outright. This was where it got interesting for me. The salesman asked me $38,600 for the red cayenne sunglo trike. I said thanks but no thanks and headed out the door. I refuse to pay that much over MSRP.

Is asking that much over MSRP normal for all Harley dealers? I would still like to have one of the new trikes, and am not opposed to flying somewhere and riding it home to get a fair deal.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default price

There is no reason to pay over MSRP or even full MSRP as most dealers are sitting on plenty of 13's. I'm sure that you can find a dealer that will treat you better.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:49 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Due to the demand of the new 2014 Wethead engine and the short supply of 2014 triglides, your gonna be hard pressed right now to even find a new trike in stock at this time.

Might be better to wait till after Xmas and into the winter months to buy one. By then they should be available to buy

Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Just picked up a 2014(two tone) last week. With price of trike,tax, shipping, security, registration and dealer set up was around $1,000 less than you were quoted.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:08 PM
DaveLaBenne
Cruiser

I was at $37,200 out the door for my '14 Triglide after adding the XM radio and tour pack rack. 6% sales tax and plates were included in that price. The Triglide is in real short supply!

Old 09-15-2013, 04:01 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,215 Likes on 2,451 Posts

I think it is really difficult to get a good price on a model that is new, especially one with a lot of changes from the previous model year.

Just today I was talking with the owner of a large multi-store dealership. Right now they cannot get enough 14's in to come close to matching the demand.

I floated my thought that it would be about 1.5 years before they would even think about coming off MSRP...ie. it would be that long before the supply exceeded the demand.

She thought that was probably about right.

btw, I have purchased several bike from them over the years and never paid close to MSRP.

Below is how I shop for a new bike...it has always worked well for me...although, as stated above, I don't think it would work so well right not with demand far exceeding supply on the 14's.

When I decided to get a Tri-Glide (in March 2011), I went to two of the three local dealers and got their best price.

I then worked the phone for a few hours, called a bunch of dealerships (15-20) all over the eastern US.

I knew exactly what I wanted, and let them know the financing was already taken care of...so just let me know if you have this exact bike, and what is your best price...whoever has the best price, I will be there in the next week to pick it up.

The best price I found was in Florida, that included one-way air fare, motels, and gas to ride it back. It was below MSRP, but that particular dealer had an overstock of the color I wanted, AND it was the last few days of the month.

(I have found that many dealerships are much more motivated to close deals at the end of the month, and especially motivated at year end.)

I went back to my two local dealers and gave them the price I was quoted by the Florida dealership, gave them the name and phone # so they could verify.

One of the dealers said they just could not meet the price, the other dealer, MUCH to my surprise, not only matched the price, but beat it by close to $800. (I have no idea why, if they had beat it by as little as $100 I would have gotten my business)

This is the same dealer that had told me just a few days prior that their absolute best price was thousands higher than the # I got from the Florida dealer.

So I ended up getting it locally, but was quite willing to fly and ride it back to save a few thousand.

What's ironic is that I just picked up a slightly used Softail late last year (December 2012). Did the same research, and ended up getting the best deal from the Other local dealer...they both wanted the business, but the one I got it from was just in a different inventory position...oh, and it was the end of the month and they really came down a LOT, but it was contingent on it being done before the last day of the month.

What most dealers will never show you on their inventory report is how many days it has been sitting on their floor...the longer it has been sitting there, the more likely they are to sell it for less profit.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 09-15-2013, 04:20 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

There is NO way I would pay over MSRP. I would be hard pressed to pay MSRP. I have purchased 4 new bikes in the last few years and have bought below MSRP. They will come down especially if there is a lot of problems with the new design. I purchased my present 09 Tri Glide the day they were announced and paid below MSRP with some other goodies thrown in. You have to be willing to walk away.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Rawhide Harley Davidson has 10 Tri glides in stock, 14’s and 13’s
http://www.rawhideharley.com/new-inv...elections=true

Kansas City

Old 09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
MO_rider
Stage II

Thanks everyone! I knew at one time it was common place for Harley dealers to charge over MSRP but I didn't know if it was still being practiced. I will check with that Kansas dealer. There may be a road trip in my future.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by MO_rider
Thanks everyone! I knew at one time it was common place for Harley dealers to charge over MSRP but I didn't know if it was still being practiced. I will check with that Kansas dealer. There may be a road trip in my future.
I live in Kentucky but my son lives in KC. He bought his RG from them and he says they treated him well. I've been to the store to look around, they have a large selection of bikes, last time I was there they had 10 TG's from new to used...it would worth a call and maybe a road trip. If you go make sure you go to Oklohoma Joes BBQ for a Z-man sandwich....outstanding! And theyre close to the dealership....

Quick Reply: Hello! Help with pricing.