Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Torque pervasiveness...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Tangle Eye
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque pervasiveness...

I was re-installing the controls on my handlebar the other day after an adjustment and, as I always do, looked up the torque setting for that screws that hold the controls to the bars. Yep, there's a specified torque. But - having watched certified Harley-Davidson mechanics install stuff I think most folks just get it "tight". When I was having my pull back bars installed I asked the mechanic what the torque setting was for the handlebar bolts. He said "tight".

So - the question is - how many people actually use the prescribed torque setting for most fasteners? I'm thinking a lot do not. What's your experience?

Old 07-10-2013, 01:46 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can tell you that when M3 and I do any work on our bikes we look up and use the recommended torque settings. We also step the torque settings.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Tangle Eye
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
I can tell you that when M3 and I do any work on our bikes we look up and use the recommended torque settings. We also step the torque settings.
I agree that's the way it should be done!

Old 07-10-2013, 02:04 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

I own 5 different torque wrenches for this very reason, if a manufacturer has a torque spec I will follow it. I know when the techs at the Harley dealer does their HD trained they sure are not told tight as the proper torque for a fastener.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Tangle Eye
Advanced

Originally Posted by msocko3
I own 5 different torque wrenches for this very reason, if a manufacturer has a torque spec I will follow it. I know when the techs at the Harley dealer does their HD trained they sure are not told tight as the proper torque for a fastener.
They sure aren't. I have 3 torque wrenches and a torque screwdriver. I do wish my light weight torque wrench was a bit smaller and lighter just for things like the handlebar control screws.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:46 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Also as Mike said he follows the manufacture's specs. Don't just tighten a bolt or nut to max specs for the fastener. The manufacture might have a different spec for a given application.
Bolt manufactures have specs for all bolts they make. But this many times is different than application.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

M3 actually lets me use his torque wrenches.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
M3 actually lets me use his torque wrenches.
M3 said he has 5 tq wrenches....... I bet he has 6..... one is hid....

Old 07-11-2013, 05:41 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangle Eye
They sure aren't. I have 3 torque wrenches and a torque screwdriver. I do wish my light weight torque wrench was a bit smaller and lighter just for things like the handlebar control screws.
Torque screwdriver is one thing I haven't gotten yet, may have to pick on of those up sometime. I have a couple 1/4" drive snap on torque wrenches I use for the small stuff, one is 10 - 50 in/lbs which I use on outer fairing screws.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
Torque screwdriver is one thing I haven't gotten yet, may have to pick on of those up sometime. I have a couple 1/4" drive snap on torque wrenches I use for the small stuff, one is 10 - 50 in/lbs which I use on outer fairing screws.

Do you follow the torque settings for the oil fill cap?

Quick Reply: Torque pervasiveness...