Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Please Explain

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
stroker23
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Please Explain

The difference between a reflash of the ECM and a Stage 1 download. Have a 09 Tri w/AN big sucker with an open filter element and Rush slips at 1.75 left and 2.00 right. I'm on the confusion bus with all this tech jargon reading a lot more than I need to set this rig to better performance standards. Don't plan of Cams maybe till winter and till than the less money spent will help in winter. How difficult is Power Vision to work with being a novice, reflash or download? The choices are making me dizzy.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:36 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A stage 1 download is a reflash but it is a very lean, EPA approved download.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:52 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A flash tuner lets you change any and every program in the ECM (right or wrong) and the Stage 1 is a fix that does almost nothing except make more money for the stealer.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I'm not very knowledgable with tuners, but when I go that route, I'll go with a TTS Supertuner, from what I have read and what Wizzard has told be and stated in the ABC sticky, it seams like the best, I know Fuelmoto also makes a good tuner, but I just like what I've read about TTS.. just my opinion.

Both of these tuners will allow you to upgrat as you like or even go back to completely stock setup...

Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When our dealer added the stage 1 kits to the trike, he reflashed the computer. 5000 miles later when we it serviced he said he reflashed it again with an updated version. The trike seems to run good. We did the Harley intake with Rush slip-ons.

Last edited by bikerbum; 07-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
I'm not very knowledgable with tuners, but when I go that route, I'll go with a TTS Supertuner, from what I have read and what Wizzard has told be and stated in the ABC sticky, it seams like the best, I know Fuelmoto also makes a good tuner, but I just like what I've read about TTS.. just my opinion.

Both of these tuners will allow you to upgrat as you like or even go back to completely stock setup...
+1 on the TTS, I love the ability it has to fine tune things. IMO its about the best tuner on the market right now if the person purchasing has the time and patience to use it or someone near buy who can tune it for them.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
+1 on the TTS, I love the ability it has to fine tune things. IMO its about the best tuner on the market right now if the person purchasing has the time and patience to use it or someone near buy who can tune it for them.
I've had a power vision for about the last year and they updated the firmware last year to add an auto tune function on the tuner using either the stock narrow band O2 sensors or the wideband O2 sensor upgrade kit. Anytime I want to fine tune the program to the ECM I hit the AT button on the display screen which prompts me to load a previously saved tune and restart the bike, once restarted I enable AT again and start datalog while I am riding, stop datalog when I stop, then save the tune to one of 6 stored slots on the tuner and flash the ECM with the new tune. Next time I restart my bike it has an auto tuned program saved into the ECM and if I want I can unplug my Power Vision and leave it at home. All on a touch screen display I can use on my handlebar mount. I used it on my last bike and then bought an unlock to use it on my trike and because it does not require the tuner to be present since it flashes the ECM the next person to buy my old bike gets a bike already autotuned and is free to run whatever kind of tuner they like.

I am still working my way through the 100+ Power Vision sticky on here but from reading several threads and personal experience with a PV I would not agree the TTS is the stand alone number 1 tuner on the market folks are still trying to make it out to be.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...admin-124.html

Last edited by xantasm; 07-07-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I was not knocking PV, like I stated, I'm no expert by any means.....and I did say both were good units. I just said that's what I like.....and you like PV. Don't have to bust my chops over this..

Old 07-07-2013, 03:35 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by xantasm
I've had a power vision for about the last year and they updated the firmware last year to add an auto tune function on the tuner using either the stock narrow band O2 sensors or the wideband O2 sensor upgrade kit. Anytime I want to fine tune the program to the ECM I hit the AT button on the display screen which prompts me to load a previously saved tune and restart the bike, once restarted I enable AT again and start datalog while I am riding, stop datalog when I stop, then save the tune to one of 6 stored slots on the tuner and flash the ECM with the new tune. Next time I restart my bike it has an auto tuned program saved into the ECM and if I want I can unplug my Power Vision and leave it at home. All on a touch screen display I can use on my handlebar mount. I used it on my last bike and then bought an unlock to use it on my trike and because it does not require the tuner to be present since it flashes the ECM the next person to buy my old bike gets a bike already autotuned and is free to run whatever kind of tuner they like.

I am still working my way through the 100+ Power Vision sticky on here but from reading several threads and personal experience with a PV I see zero benefit to the TTS over the PV and I don't need to strap a laptop to my bike to datalog like you do with a TTS. So buy what you like but the TTS is not the stand alone number 1 tuner on the market folks are still trying to make it out to be.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...admin-124.html
The Powervison is good for easy tuning if the person doesn't have access to a laptop or doesn't care to go that direction. I still stand behind my statement of the TTS being the top tuner on the market. It will do things the PV can only imagine, the maker of the TTS is the same person who made the 1st Screamin Eagle race tuners for Harley Davidson. When Harley went to a different vendor to supply their SEPST he changed the name to TTS and added features HD didn't want. The TTS has the ability to program a blank ECM, the PV and other flash tuners have to have a base calibration put into the blank ECM by the dealer. The best feature to me is the TTS locks the ECM to keep the dealer from mucking around in there. I don't want a half brain dead tech mucking around in my ECM and spoiling my tune.

The options to fine tune with the TTS vs the PV is quite amazing. FWIW pretty soon the TTS will support V-Tuning without toting a lap top if someone is inclined to do so. I have a designated laptop which I use for tuning and uploading only, I also hook a remote 7" monitor on the bars to use for V-Tuning.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM
xantasm
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was not knocking PV, like I stated, I'm no expert by any means.....and I did say both were good units. I just said that's what I like.....and you like PV. Don't have to bust my chops over this..
Wasn't trying to make it sound like trying to bust your chops if thats the way it came across. I really like my PV and I fully understand those who really like their TTS and I realise many do not agree when arguing over the pro's and con's of one over the other or several other ones on the market. Different strokes for different folks

Quick Reply: Please Explain