Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Stage 1 With Stock Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:34 PM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Stage 1 With Stock Pipes

Hi all... Been on the forum for a while with my Ultra but just recently made the move UP to a brand new TG. What a treat to tour on this machine - my bride and I both love it. Have had it only about 6 weeks and already just about due for the 8,000 km (5,000 mi) servicing! Anyway, enough of that now on to the question...

No surprise that there is a heat issue with the 103s regardless of the frame it is in and I am looking into some options. I am going to replace the header with a "decatted" one for starters. Going to continue with installing the FM A/C that I had on my Ultra as well as requesting a new map for the PC-V from Jamie. I really don't feel the need to replace the OEM muffs and wondered if anyone has done a Stage 1 without changing to different slip ons. I like the factory sound and don't want to go any louder - should have a bit of a change with decatting the headpipe.

Any feedback from those in the know would be appreciated...

I will be changing my sig pic as soon as I have a chance to take some pics of the new chariot!!

Thanks all...

Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 8Crow
Hi all... Been on the forum for a while with my Ultra but just recently made the move UP to a brand new TG. What a treat to tour on this machine - my bride and I both love it. Have had it only about 6 weeks and already just about due for the 8,000 km (5,000 mi) servicing! Anyway, enough of that now on to the question...

No surprise that there is a heat issue with the 103s regardless of the frame it is in and I am looking into some options. I am going to replace the header with a "decatted" one for starters. Going to continue with installing the FM A/C that I had on my Ultra as well as requesting a new map for the PC-V from Jamie. I really don't feel the need to replace the OEM muffs and wondered if anyone has done a Stage 1 without changing to different slip ons. I like the factory sound and don't want to go any louder - should have a bit of a change with decatting the headpipe.

Any feedback from those in the know would be appreciated...

I will be changing my sig pic as soon as I have a chance to take some pics of the new chariot!!

Thanks all...
I went to the FM head pipe and their mufflers with quite baffle. One trip and now have put stock mufflers back on. Others just a tad too loud for us on highway. So just give the stock ones a try with the new head pipe, they are louder without the CAT. Then if you want, change the slip-ons.
Dennis

Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
I went to the FM head pipe and their mufflers with quite baffle. One trip and now have put stock mufflers back on. Others just a tad too loud for us on highway. So just give the stock ones a try with the new head pipe, they are louder without the CAT. Then if you want, change the slip-ons.
Dennis
Same here and for the same reason, except I went with a set of 2012 CVO mufflers. They are a little bit more quiet then stock; but, I think they flow better. The FM head pipe is a nice piece.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM
jlgale
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Fullsac ceramic coated head pipe. Didn't change my muffles but got the 2.0 baffles.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 AM
Postal Trucker
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Like you, I went with Decatted stock pipes and left the stock mufflers on. I still have the stock air box (but getting a K & N filter). I also put in the FL-Vieds in and the bike is running so much cooler and the mufflers have a deeper tone, but not louder sound.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like most things, it just comes down to personal preferences. I went with the FM no-cat head pipe and left the stock mufflers on. The result was a noticeable increase in overall loudness, but nothing that I think most anyone would find objectionable.

Being the redneck that I am though, shortly after I switched to the FM Jackpot mufflers. I just needed it a little louder. I'm happy now.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 AM
8Crow
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for all the input to my question... Looks like I will be contacting Bob at Superflow for a decatted headpipe. Just waiting on an answer from Jamie / Fuel Moto regarding the PC-V that I used on my Ultra. Looking forward to having things cooled down a bit on the TG!!
Thanks and Glide safe...

Old 06-26-2013, 10:42 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by iaff84
Dennis
I'm with Dennis. The stock mufflers sound pretty good with the CAT out of the way.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:28 PM
riggs
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anyone gone from a decatted stock header pipe to the fuel moto header pipe? Could you detect a noticeable change in performance? I have a decatted stock with Fatshotz. Just curious if this would be worth the change over. (2012 TG)