Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Electric air pump for rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013 | 08:56 PM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced
Default Electric air pump for rear shocks?

Just kinda curious since I adjust my air shocks for riding 1 up or 2 up with some frequency. Does anyone make an air pump to inflate/deflate the rear air shocks that you actuate without removing the right side cover, etc.? I sometimes adjust several times a day depending on whether I'm riding alone or not. I'm not looking to replace the shocks, just a a fast and easy way to inflate/deflate.

Old 05-16-2013 | 09:24 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior

Motortrike has a setup that works with the factory air shocks

Suspension controller >> http://www.motortrike.com/TrikeTriGlideAccessories.aspx

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 05-16-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-16-2013 | 09:47 PM
sloufoot
Club Member

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE

Suspension controller >> http://www.motortrike.com/TrikeTriGlideAccessories.aspx
Motortrike's set up is a nice one, but if I put that on mine I would put a pressure limit switch in line to prevent over pressure. Also leave the manual port on. They eliminate the OEM port.
Just my opinion......
Ride Safe
Ride Often

Old 05-17-2013 | 12:30 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE

I read your post with some excitement...I do get tired of removing the cover, removing the cap, pulling out the pump and buttoning it all up just to change a few pounds for different loads.

Then I saw the price (and remember looking at this a few years ago) It sure would be nice, but I just can't part with $600 for it. Guess I will keep doing it manually.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-17-2013 | 01:24 AM
sloufoot
Club Member

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I read your post with some excitement...I do get tired of removing the cover, removing the cap, pulling out the pump and buttoning it all up just to change a few pounds for different loads.

Then I saw the price (and remember looking at this a few years ago) It sure would be nice, but I just can't part with $600 for it. Guess I will keep doing it manually.
Kevin, If you come across one of the air compressors for air bags, or air shocks on cars, you can make the manifold with 2 $15 electric air valves from Ebay. Firestone puts out an air kit for the automotive end, but it has a cumbersome switch/valve w/gauge to put under the dash.
I have one on my pick-up but the control doesn't look good for handlebar mounting. I don't know if you could buy the control separately from Motortrike or not. That is a nice control. Almost has to be others around.
Their unit also goes over 100#. They warn you not to overpressure Harley's system, & tell everyone else operating the bike to do the same. Heck of a safety !!! A pressure limit switch is all it would take.

Old 05-17-2013 | 01:34 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by sloufoot
Kevin, If you come across one of the air compressors for air bags, or air shocks on cars, you can make the manifold with 2 $15 electric air valves from Ebay. Firestone puts out an air kit for the automotive end, but it has a cumbersome switch/valve w/gauge to put under the dash.
I have one on my pick-up but the control doesn't look good for handlebar mounting. I don't know if you could buy the control separately from Motortrike or not. That is a nice control. Almost has to be others around.
Their unit also goes over 100#. They warn you not to overpressure Harley's system, & tell everyone else operating the bike to do the same. Heck of a safety !!! A pressure limit switch is all it would take.
Thanks for the info...will probably look into that when we get back.

I ride with so many different loads, and on drastically different road surfaces, it would really be nice to change the PSI on the fly.

Old 05-17-2013 | 04:31 AM
ZBear
Cruiser

What air pressure does everyone run? I checked mine when I got it home and was at 15 psi. Seems like it rides pretty harsh. Thanks

Old 05-17-2013 | 09:42 AM
n1njazx7
Intermediate

If you want convenience, you have to pay for it. I admit $600 is a lot, but it looks to be a very nice unit. I know I have over paid for stuff like that myself after all you can't take it with you and your kids will just waste it.

Old 05-17-2013 | 09:53 AM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced

I saw someone last weekend with a remote control lift on their Ultra (2 wheeler). I assumed this either worked with the Harley shocks or was a replacement shock with the remote control for the compressor. I was hoping it was just an aftermarket air pump - guess not though.

Old 05-17-2013 | 12:47 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Originally Posted by ZBear
What air pressure does everyone run? I checked mine when I got it home and was at 15 psi. Seems like it rides pretty harsh. Thanks
A few tricks to getting a Cadillac smooth ride-

Run 22-24 lbs in the rear tires

Get a Comfort Lift Kit, not only does it level out the TG, it also helps the shocks eat up the bumps in a smoother manner

Find a road that has little traffic and is typical of what you ride. Since you're already at 15 psi on the shocks, add just 2 psi and go down that road, then add 2 more psi and go down it again. After you have gone down the road a few times, adding or subtracting 2 psi, you will discover which is smoothest for you.

For me, 1 up, 22 psi is smoothest for my typical roads. 2 up it is 28 psi.

I load up the trunk a lot of times with metal parts, and I pull a trailer a lot also, so depending on the load it is different. What I have found useful to know is that as little as 2 psi will make quite a noticeable difference in the ride quality.

Originally Posted by n1njazx7
If you want convenience, you have to pay for it. I admit $600 is a lot, but it looks to be a very nice unit. I know I have over paid for stuff like that myself after all you can't take it with you and your kids will just waste it.
Yeah, I remember back when I thought I would never use cruise control on a bike...I use it all the time now!

Quick Reply: Electric air pump for rear shocks?