Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Electric air pump for rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013 | 07:39 PM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced

I ended up getting a Harley valve stem extension - 42300009. I attached it to the Schrader valve behind the side panel an secure it between the grab rail and the rear seat with friction/compression only. The end of the extension turns down behind the body and is invisible unless you are really looking close. Now I don't have to take the side cover off to check or change pressure. Just a little convenience item for 10 bucks.

Old 06-01-2013 | 08:56 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tangle Eye
I ended up getting a Harley valve stem extension - 42300009. I attached it to the Schrader valve behind the side panel an secure it between the grab rail and the rear seat with friction/compression only. The end of the extension turns down behind the body and is invisible unless you are really looking close. Now I don't have to take the side cover off to check or change pressure. Just a little convenience item for 10 bucks.
I bought 42300009 for the '09 TG as suggested by a forum member. Wouldn't hold air. Service said the air shock valve stem wasn't the same as for tires and air will leak out (which it did). Shot me down....so are some of you using the extension and it holds air?

Back to the dealer for another one if it really works...thought it was a clever and handy idea!

Old 06-01-2013 | 09:47 PM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
I bought 42300009 for the '09 TG as suggested by a forum member. Wouldn't hold air. Service said the air shock valve stem wasn't the same as for tires and air will leak out (which it did). Shot me down....so are some of you using the extension and it holds air?

Back to the dealer for another one if it really works...thought it was a clever and handy idea!
Hmmm...I just put it in today but I'll be on the watch for a leak and report back here.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:26 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BinIdaho

I agree with Barbara on that. I think that extension was really meant for the front tire where the valve stem can be difficult to access with some pressure gauges and gas station air pumps.

Old 06-02-2013 | 10:54 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member

Originally Posted by Boom
I agree with Barbara on that. I think that extension was really meant for the front tire where the valve stem can be difficult to access with some pressure gauges and gas station air pumps.
I agree with both you and Barbara. The air fitting on the shocks and HD shock air pump has a special fitting that lets very little air escape when connecting and disconnecting. There is not much volume in the shocks so it doesn't take much air loss to to change the pressure.

Last edited by oldmsocko; 06-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-02-2013 | 04:02 PM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced
Default Short term report....

I put the rear shocks on 48 pounds about 24 hours ago as we were going on a short 2-up trip. I just checked the pressure with the valve extension attached and the reading was 44 pounds. Could be a temperature difference as the trike's been in the shade all day so far. It'll be sitting all next week and I'll make note of the pressure to see if it leaks down any. The fittings seem to work well and there is only just the slightest hint of air loss when disconnecting the pump.

I'm still thinking about the EZ Air from Wheeldock if this doesn't work. The thing I like about that unit is the gauge is right there in your face when you open the tour pack so you remember to check it.

We'll see how this goes.

Old 06-02-2013 | 04:59 PM
shotgun462
Intermediate

Ive been using mine on my 2010 for about a year with no problem.

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:47 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Just installed the valve stem extension #42300009.....So much easier than taking off the mini-saddlebag and plate. Crossing fingers that it'll work.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:17 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser

I also tried the hose extension, my rear shocks bled down after 2 or 3 days. Took it off.

Old 06-07-2013 | 12:00 PM
Tangle Eye
|
Advanced

As I mentioned above, I put 48 pounds in last weekend. The trike sat all week and I checked it this morning. I had lost 8 pounds of pressure. I really don't know how that compares to not having it on at all. That might work for you since it's now easy to get to and pump up. I went ahead last Monday and ordered the EZ-Air somebody mentioned here. I'll post about installing that in another thread.

Quick Reply: Electric air pump for rear shocks?