Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Using a Car Lift For a Trike?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013 | 12:43 AM
sloufoot
Club Member

Originally Posted by STG246
Pretty much what I'm thinking, and tie the 3 frames together with 1x1 steel tube or something like it basically making a triangle with a box at the 3 points...The ends of my lift arms (Mohawk lift) have 1 1/4" holes in them so fastening them wont be an issue, 3/8" or 1/2" thick ears on top and bottom of the boxes with holes for 1 1/4" bolts....Question is what to make the boxes out of, I have plenty of 1"x1" steel tube kicking around, I know that would hold the front end, not sure about the back end though, could pick up some 1"x2" rectangle tube, might be overkill though...

Ryan
I don't know about overkill. I am building my lift out of 2.5" square tube w/5/32 wall. I would rather be heavy rather than sorry. But mine is a free standing lift.
If your rear arms are under the tires, they will carry the load. I would basically make just baskets for the tires w/a couple of tubes between to keep the gauge between the tires. On the front, do kind of the same but just put 1 basket. You could also make it shaped like a "T" with the center solid for the front tire to run on to the front, & into a wheel vise, or chock. Then tie down the front. With the "T" design you could also use a scissor jack to be able to lift the rear tires off the baskets , to do work without the rear wheels.
Basically make a regular lift table to mount on your 4 arms. Just the top table. You will have to use ramps to get on, just like a regular bike lift.