Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Security System malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 06:28 AM
WA_ Geezer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System malfunction

Half way through my ride today, when I turned the ignition switch on, the security system didn't recognize the FOB and would not allow me to start the bike. I tried disarming it using the security pin number to no avail. I tried several combinations of turn signals and ignition positions the lock warning lights finally went off and I could start the trike. It's a 2009 Tri Glide by the way. Now it appears to be doing this every time I start it. I also tried the spare FOB and that didn't help either. I live in the Northwest and it is quite cold here and I have had the trike on a battery tender. The book tells me how to determine the error code but I haven't had any success with that.

Any suggestions? is this something I can fix or must I take it to the dealer and spent next month's retirement check.

Signed, Grounded!

Old 01-30-2013, 06:35 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 476 Likes on 291 Posts

First thing I would do is change the battery in the FOB; this is the cheapest thing to check. If you have the original battery in the FOB from 2009 it may be giving up the ghost.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:28 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with Bill on battery, as far as using override its touchy sometimes.
Have to hit both blinkers right at the same time immediatly after ignition on without disturbing position of the bike.
If it doesnt like what you did you have to wait til everything settles down to try again.
Also sometimes cell phone too close to fob will make it puke.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:51 PM
bikerbum
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setting that override is very important, and remembering how to use it is as important. Friend had his keys fall out of his pocket on a long ride. Another dropped his keys in a parking lot and a car ran over his fob. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have my manual here, but isn't there a limited number of times you can try to unlock using the pin code before you are locked out of the system for some hours??? Pays to remember the sequence. Also, the procedure has changed on newer bikes.

Good Luck

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM
WA_ Geezer
Novice
Default Security System Malfunction

Thanks guys. I put new battery in the FOB and it is working fine now. I also replaced the battery in the spare FOB. Now if I can just get one of you guys to WASH the trike I would appreciate it.

In October I open trailered the bike to Flordia to visit a son, rode over 600 miles down there and then trailored it back to the Northwest. It is really dirty.

JC

Old 01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
knawrocki
Novice

Don't wait to get the salt from Florida off - especially the rims. Went down this past spring and played heck getting the rims clean again afterwards. I even had it covered at night, but the sea air got to it anyway.

But Florida was great - we hit Saint Augustine, Orlando, and Daytona.