Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 AM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Mirrors

Anyone have the HD Split Mirrors mounted?
Referring to the ones that HD Rider has and can be seen in his post
in the Handlebar thread.
Stock mirrors don't extend out far enough for me and are too small for
a stick on spot mirror.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 5x40
in the Handlebar thread.
a stick on spot mirror.
I have them. I like them, but they take some getting used to. You also have to be careful in how they are adjusted. If adjusted properly, they offer some good blind spot coverage. I'm too tall to take advantage of them for wheel clearance in a tight curve, i.e. gas station island avoidance, etc. Because I sit on a Russell Day-Long seat, I also use the riser extensions to get my mirrors up higher.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
BigBill1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuryakin makes a mirror extender for the stock mirrors. It brings them up and out quite a bit. I use them ans have no problem seeing in my blind spot and behind. It's a less costly alternative to new mirrors.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:02 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I have HD split mirrors also...no problem.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Rich B.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also have the HD Split Vision mirrors. First, let me say that the stock wide angle mirrors are well engineered and effective. They offer a very nice field of view to the side and to the rear of the trike without giving too much distortion.
The split vision mirrors are "different" in that they are composed of 2 wide angle mirrors in each head, a larger and a smaller, so they do take some getting used to. Their adjustment positioning for rear and side viewing is also a bit more critical because each mirror does a separate job. I found that tipping the end of the mirror downward a little actually allows a broader vision to the rear of the trike than running the mirror level. This is due to the smaller mirror being oval. If you get them, just give your brain a little time to adjust before you get frustrated and go back to your stock mirrors. BTW, Lake Shore HD has them for $95.96 +ship on their website. Good luck!
R

Attached Thumbnails Mirrors-100_5404.jpg   Mirrors-100_5406.jpg   Mirrors-100_5409.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 01:01 PM
5x40
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks All, for your responses and input.
To...The Bobs, tall isn't a problem for me, though I wish it were,I'm only 5'5" tall.
Rich B. thank you for taking the time to take and post your pixs. Very helpful.
I'll go Friday and check them out at the dealership. Thanx for the Lake Shore info. My HD dealer gives military discount, so I support them w/purchases, etc.
Terry in Tennessee

Old 01-08-2013, 01:02 PM
iaff84
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 5x40
in the Handlebar thread.
a stick on spot mirror.
They also make small stick on mirrors that rotate around. I use them and they give you very good vision in blind spots and do not block much of mirror.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:53 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,092 Likes on 3,492 Posts

I just purchased a pair of these for my Triglide also. But the question I have on them is how does the outside mirror work better if it is angled in towards the driver ???
I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but they are installed. There is a clear tilt inside, not outside to see more beside you. That is what I bought them for. To be able to look into my blind spot. Not to view my back seat better !

Old 01-09-2013, 09:38 AM
Rich B.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

From what I have read the width and height of the handlebars you are mounting these mirrors on makes a difference in how much of the rear and side you get to view...higher & wider = better. I have my Split Vision mirrors mounted on my stock, Tri-Glide handlebars and find that my right and left blind spots are "almost" completely gone. As mentioned in my earlier post, I drop the outer edge of my mirrors because then the smaller oval mirrors allow me to see more of the lane next to me. Yes, I still have blind spots but these zones are appreciably less than with the stock HD mirrors.

Since both convex mirrors are fixed in the mirror head there is nothing short of removing one of the mirrors and changing it's viewing angle to get a custom vision field. I think by fixing the mirrors in position, HD tried to hit a happy medium to suite all the different models of their bikes and still keep the cost reasonable. If you need more adjustment than the HD mirrors offer I would suggest what iaff84 recommended in an earlier post...get the stick-on, fish-eye rotators from Wally Mart. Whatever you do, nothing will ever take the place of a quick shoulder check before changing lanes or turning. Good luck!
R

Old 01-09-2013, 02:17 PM
sloufoot
Club Member
Received 4,092 Likes on 3,492 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich B.
From what I have read the width and height of the handlebars you are mounting these mirrors on makes a difference in how much of the rear and side you get to view...higher & wider = better. I have my Split Vision mirrors mounted on my stock, Tri-Glide handlebars and find that my right and left blind spots are "almost" completely gone. As mentioned in my earlier post, I drop the outer edge of my mirrors because then the smaller oval mirrors allow me to see more of the lane next to me. Yes, I still have blind spots but these zones are appreciably less than with the stock HD mirrors.

Since both convex mirrors are fixed in the mirror head there is nothing short of removing one of the mirrors and changing it's viewing angle to get a custom vision field. I think by fixing the mirrors in position, HD tried to hit a happy medium to suite all the different models of their bikes and still keep the cost reasonable. If you need more adjustment than the HD mirrors offer I would suggest what iaff84 recommended in an earlier post...get the stick-on, fish-eye rotators from Wally Mart. Whatever you do, nothing will ever take the place of a quick shoulder check before changing lanes or turning. Good luck!
R
When you look in your mirrors in your pix's, the same image appears in both mirrors. The door track is in the same position in the left, and the convex mirror doesn't show anymore sideways than the big mirror does. In fact it might show more if it was only the larger one mirror.
That is with your end dropped down.
This is the issue I have with mine. Like I said before, I haven't had a chance to road test them. Snow is still too deep & salt slush everywhere !
I have a feeling China Division MoCo, aka Harley Davidson, turned the prints upside down.
When you have a helmet on the side still blocks an area that I almost have to turn loose of the grip to turn around enough to see into. It seems to be the best place for people to sit and look at the bike instead of passing you. With the smaller & smaller cars, they are hard to find anyway!
I'm thinking an adjustable convex that will mount on my bagger bar......

Ride Safe

Quick Reply: Mirrors