Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cigarette Lighter

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013 | 09:48 PM
jlgale
|
Tourer
Default Cigarette Lighter

Is anyone else unable to charge their devices using the Cigarette lighter on the TG. Mine is a 2012 and when I complained to the Dealer they replied it isn't meant for charging. Unacceptable to me.

Old 01-01-2013 | 10:21 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member

Different bike but I think the same I noticed on my Limited when I plug in my GPS thinks it's a computer connection not a power point, I think the lighter must have a lower output than a standard lighter socket. GPS will work correctly after a minute including charging, but every time at boot up the GPS thinks it hooked to a computer.

Old 01-02-2013 | 06:34 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have a 2011 Triglide, I charge my phone all the time using the cigarette lighter; I also use it for power to my GPS, never had a problem. Keep in mind, the trike has to be running for it to work.

Old 01-02-2013 | 01:43 PM
jlgale
|
Tourer

Yes, I do it with the TG running. But for some reason it won't charge anything. Really bummed out about it because I was so excited with it being on the TG.

Old 01-02-2013 | 02:02 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jlgale
Yes, I do it with the TG running. But for some reason it won't charge anything. Really bummed out about it because I was so excited with it being on the TG.
Does the cigarette lighter work?

When I had my ECG and used the GPS or phone charging plug, the lighter adapter would "spread" the connection and when putting the lighter back in to use, it would fling the lighter across the garage!! Had service retighten the inners for lighter to work again. Never charged GPS and phone again using the cig adapter! Also had tried the 2-adapter in cig holder and GPS wouldn't work....not a good connection.

Check your fuses?

Old 01-02-2013 | 04:40 PM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain

I use mine all the time on the Electra Glide Limited and the wifes Tri Glide Trike. What we have found though is that from the factory more than a few have come with the polarity reversed on the cigaret plug receptacle. The lighter does not care which way the current runs, but the GPS and Phone charger sure do! The center is the positive and the outside is the negative or ground. If yours is one that is backward it is easy to fix as the wires just plug on the back with spade terminals and you just simply swap the red wire to the center and the black to the outer housing. Just a few min to remove the 7 screws to take off the outer faring.

Old 01-02-2013 | 06:31 PM
5x40
Cruiser

Okay! where is this "Cigarette Lighter" ya'll speak of? I have 2013 but I haven't seen it.
Not have a use for it but if I got it, I'd like to know where it is. This is embarrassing!

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:02 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by 5x40
Okay! where is this "Cigarette Lighter" ya'll speak of? I have 2013 but I haven't seen it.
Not have a use for it but if I got it, I'd like to know where it is. This is embarrassing!
Left side, tucked under the facing of inside fairing to the right of your air deflectors...you will see a chrome ****...push in and wait for it to pop out and....wa-la, you have found the cigarette lighter!!

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:21 PM
5x40
Cruiser

will have to check that in the morning. Thanks BinIdaho! whattaya expect from a guy from Walla Walla living in Tn.. LOL :-)

Old 01-02-2013 | 07:35 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I am not an expert but have played around with the plugs a little.
The problem is not with the lighter it is with the plug and the wire that you are using.
This is a real common problem.
The cigarette lighter is 12volts and all devices that plug into a usb port are five volts.
I know that when I plug in a charger that is designed as a phone charger it works fine for my phone.
When I use a usb type cable and plug it into one of the adapters that go into the cigarette lighter then my phone will not drain down but it also wont charge the phone.
I have a feeling that the adapters for the usb are so cheap they do not have the ability to reduce the voltage.
I know there are four or five wires going to the usb wire, and think that they hook the wire to the running circuit but to a charging circuit.
But that is just my guess.

Quick Reply: Cigarette Lighter