Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Color of exhaust in pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012 | 09:00 PM
usmc68
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sloufoot
The business of the cat is to do a re-burn on leftover hydrocarbons . That is where it gets the heat from. You should not have much of any color, other than brown or gray past the cat.
You just did a download, I guess it was a Stage 1, so you shouldn't be rich.
If you do the cat you probably will want to do a tuner, so you won't be running lean with your other mods. You could be on the lean side right now, but maybe the cat is giving enough back pressure so the flow isn't high enough.
Did they do a dyno tune when they put in the download ?
All they did was the stage-1 download no dyno .Bike didn't seem as stout after download.It was extreamly hot the day they did the download.

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:22 PM
sloufoot
Club Member

Originally Posted by usmc68
All they did was the stage-1 download no dyno .Bike didn't seem as stout after download.It was extreamly hot the day they did the download.
If you did all the things at one time, and it felt weak, I would say off hand you could be in need of more fuel. In other words mufflers, high flow air cleaner, Stage 1 download (which doesn't richen up the fuel) and narrow band O2's can't adjust(sense AFR) far enough to compensate, means lean fuel mixture.
Higher engine heat, higher exhaust heat and the possibility to eventually cause engine damage, if it goes too far lean.
There are a lot of options out there, depending on how much you want to do. Tuning, control,monitoring systems, or just to richen things up.
Harley can richen things up with a Dyno tune, and a SE tuner if you want to keep everything Harley. Or you could do like a lot of people on here and do a Power Vision tuner. Or maybe Xieds for fuel only.
Lots of ways to go...... And unless you live in Calif., I would get rid of that cat. I haven't heard of much problems with warranty for that. Ask the dealer you are working with.
Bottom line , I bet if you get it PROPERLY TUNED regardless of the method, you will be impressed.

Old 08-28-2012 | 07:16 PM
usmc68
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sloufoot
If you did all the things at one time, and it felt weak, I would say off hand you could be in need of more fuel. In other words mufflers, high flow air cleaner, Stage 1 download (which doesn't richen up the fuel) and narrow band O2's can't adjust(sense AFR) far enough to compensate, means lean fuel mixture.
Higher engine heat, higher exhaust heat and the possibility to eventually cause engine damage, if it goes too far lean.
There are a lot of options out there, depending on how much you want to do. Tuning, control,monitoring systems, or just to richen things up.
Harley can richen things up with a Dyno tune, and a SE tuner if you want to keep everything Harley. Or you could do like a lot of people on here and do a Power Vision tuner. Or maybe Xieds for fuel only.
Lots of ways to go...... And unless you live in Calif., I would get rid of that cat. I haven't heard of much problems with warranty for that. Ask the dealer you are working with.
Bottom line , I bet if you get it PROPERLY TUNED regardless of the method, you will be impressed.
Looks like more money down the Tube (so to speak)

Old 08-28-2012 | 07:19 PM
usmc68
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by icebite1
The color you described would be nice on the porcelen part of the spark plugs. Just curious but what color are your plugs?
Plug color is tanish on both plugs

Old 08-29-2012 | 01:16 AM
sloufoot
Club Member

Originally Posted by usmc68
Looks like more money down the Tube (so to speak)
Many people are doing just Xides to get the fuel back up close to where it belongs. Probably the least cost. But all they do is alter the output of the O2's. Lies to the ECM.
I never have used them. But you would more likely like a tuner better.