Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

2012 Tri-Glide Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:11 PM
trukintug
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Tri-Glide Mufflers

Curious if anyone can tell me how to install slip-on mufflers? Trike is one week old & Dealer can not install until middle of June.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:13 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

please get the service manual for the trike. you cant go wrong. Its not hard to do but the service manual for the trike will be a god send.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:21 AM
Mr. Wizard
Administrator
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by trukintug
Curious if anyone can tell me how to install slip-on mufflers? Trike is one week old & Dealer can not install until middle of June.
Loosen the inlet clamp for each muffler. Should be 9/16 nut, some are 5/8.

Take off the two 1/2" bolts on each muffler at the outlet end. They are on top of the end of the muffler. It will be very tight to get a wrench in there.

Hold the muffler firmly and pull slightly to the outside of the trike then push slightly to the ground. This will loosen the inlet so you can pull the muffler straight out of the exhaust pipe.

Pull the muffler to the rear of the trike until free. You may have to wiggle it a lot back and forth until it clears the exhaust pipe.

It's the same for both sides.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget to spray the end of the slipon where it connects to the headpipe with WD40. Let set for a few minutes and the mufflers will come right off without a fight.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:45 PM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delta, I,m glad you made it home OK, hope to ride with yo soon. Sam

Originally Posted by trukintug
If you don't already own a 2012 Touring Service Manual, (get it) this book one of a two book set
if you don't the already own a 2012 TriGlide Service Manual book (get it)This is book two of two,

I think I paid $60.00 for the 2012 Touring Service Manual and $40. 00 for the 2012 TriGlide Service Manual. The total cost is $100.00 and well worth every penny of it.

I've always believed, if you can read you can do most anything that Harley can do and probably better. That being said, I think starting slow on your bike is the best. You have confidence in your work, and you'll save lots of bucks.

Best of luck to you and never be afraid to ask lot of questions.

Far as your exhaust, it's easy. Lift the trike a bite so you can safly get under it, loosen the clamps on the most forward point of the mufflers. At the rear of the mufflers there a hanger that needs to be removed on both left and right mufflers. Make sure the mufflers are cool. Wile sitting on the floor behind one of then mufflers start to pull and turn slightly back and forth. Sometimes this isn't enough Ann you may have to hit the muffler at the flange (most forward point on the muffler). I have a special drift punch that has been ground down to a half circle and use that if the muffler is being stubborn. A few love taps usually will have it off in t few minutes. Do th same on the other side. If the old pipes are very old sometimes it will take longer and you will have to hit ti a little harder. Putting them on is easier: slide the heavy clamp on (remember you're going to have to tight it, so make sure the bolt is facing a way where you can reach) Attach the hanger bolts. Do the same on the other side. Now your just about down, make sure the new mufflers are in as deep as needed (usually the overlap is about 1 to 1 1/2 inches) to assure good clamping both inner pipe with outer muffler flange ( make sure you have checked for the distance the new muffler s are the same) then go to the hanger on the muffler and hand tight., do all your adjustment now. Looking good, cool, now tighten all the bolts and the muffler flange where the muffler meet the pipe and the hanger bracket near the rear.
At on of the auto parts stors like VIP of PepBoys and even Wally World will sell you a pair of ramps, they're rated fo cars so you can be sure they will hod ou trike up safely while you do this task. Drive on to the ranks leaving the front tire on the floor.
After to have started the trike a few time and brought it up to normal heat a few time, check all the bolts you put on, tighten if needed. Back roll the trike off and go fo a nice ride.
chappy

Last edited by chappy; 05-29-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:07 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
Don't forget to spray the end of the slipon where it connects to the headpipe with WD40. Let set for a few minutes and the mufflers will come right off without a fight.

..oh, yeah...the WD40 trick is the best...i just removed my mufflers yesterday...works like a charm !!!!

Old 06-07-2012, 10:25 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

chappy nice write up

Old 03-05-2013, 03:19 PM
fogey47
Intermediate

Thanks chappy. Great job . --- fogey47

Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to Chappy and Mr Wizard for clear concise information.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 PM
hdivy
Cruiser

Just did mine and head pipe also. Less that 2 hrs

Quick Reply: 2012 Tri-Glide Mufflers