Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Cleaning the trike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 04:39 PM
butch50
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning the trike

What is everybody using to get the bugs off their ride? I have Hog Skins on mine and am using Bug Slide (recommended by dealer) to clean the bugs off. Supposedly after using it once the second time the bugs are supposed to slide right off. Yea right ain't happening, I have to spray it onto the microfiber towel and then scrub to get the bugs off. So what is other people using?

I use to use 303 protectant on my Goldwing and it was all the dealer used on all of the new bikes. I'm thinking of going back to it as it sure cleaned up nice.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

The first time I washed my trike, I put on a really good Maguier's wax. I have touched up the wax job since then focusing on the fenders, fairing, and lowers where I smash flying bugs to death.

When I wash my trike, I take a microfiber towel, soak it in pretty warm (not too hot) water, then lay it on the surfaces where the bug crap is and let it lay there until it cools down. Perhaps five minutes or so. Then I simply wipe off the bug detritus as I remove the towel. It comes right off. A couple places may need a couple quick scrubs with the wet towel, but almost all the guts just wipe off after a quick soak with warm water.

I have no desire to put pretroleum-based cleaners on my painted surfaces. This works very well for me. Perhaps bugs guts have more staying power where you live.....

Last edited by TaylorMcStrat; 05-22-2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also would like to Know. This has been some buggy season. Im using wet towels to soften them up, then wipe them off. I then use a spray WAX. ProtectAll

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peroxide and water 50/50 spray buggy areas wait two minutes then wipe with very wet micro cloth.Try it you will like it.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:07 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I use the bug remover that HD sells and have been very happy with it.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:11 PM
Hard Ride
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

As much as I hate to say it on this forum....but Honda spray cleaner is some good stuff...We wipe the dust off then spray it and wipe it clean...

Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM
plumberdoug
Advanced

Mean Green sold at Dollar General works good for me.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:07 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 65 Posts

Well, out here on the high desert, not only don't we have a lot of rain, don't get a lot of bugs either. Tad too dry. After a long ride I use a 1300psi pressure washer with Super Clean (Wal Mart) then wax them. Retired old fart, no life, nothing else to do

Old 05-23-2012, 01:46 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,461 Posts

Originally Posted by T K Glider
Peroxide and water 50/50 spray buggy areas wait two minutes then wipe with very wet micro cloth.Try it you will like it.
Yep, been using the hydrogen peroxide/water mix for years...turns em to mush and they just wipe off. If they've been cooked on to long, sometimes it takes a second spray to get it all.

I have been using the bugslide for about a year and I like the job it does in cleaning and leaving a nice sheen...but for any stubborn bugs its the hp/water mix.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Hose down the area, spray with Simple Green, (biodegradable, safe on all surfaces). Wait a couple of minutes and spray with a hose. Almost everything will come off and what doesn't can be removed with a rub of a wet towel.

Bill

Quick Reply: Cleaning the trike