Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Right Rear Thumping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM
pcmike
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too

I get a noise from the right rear when ever I make a right turn over 10 mph. Not a thump though. It is high pitched.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:31 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'll change the rubber exhaust mounts to the 2011 style like SEAlaska suggested, I beleive it has to do with somethuing in the exhaust system, don't believed I had this noise till I changed the exhaust out,
checked all exhaust fasteners, changed baffles from one side to the other, it's got
me stumped.
I do appreciate all the infor and suggestions from the forum, at least it gives me
idea's on what to look for.
thanks for your help

Old 04-27-2012, 06:51 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I basically had the exact same problem you was describing and that was the cause. I could recreat thought by lifting up on the muffler and see that is was out of the rubber support.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the things that made noise when hitting bumps was my reverse gear would hit the panhard bar when I had about 25# of air in my rear shock (bottoms out). My panhard bar has a nice rusty scar on it now.
Butch

Old 04-28-2012, 12:39 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
One of the things that made noise when hitting bumps was my reverse gear would hit the panhard bar when I had about 25# of air in my rear shock (bottoms out). My panhard bar has a nice rusty scar on it now.
Butch
That is interresting. Did you do any mods. to cause it to hit? Or did this happen out of the box? Did you correct it Ajust any thing or put a lift kit to correct it or just keep more then 25lbs of air in the rear shocks??

Old 04-28-2012, 07:05 AM
Boom
Road Warrior

I too had the right rear thump. The rubber isolator had completely come out of its bracket enabling the muffler to easily slop up and down. I replaced the rubber mounts with the '11 style.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:25 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by carlo
That is interresting. Did you do any mods. to cause it to hit? Or did this happen out of the box? Did you correct it Ajust any thing or put a lift kit to correct it or just keep more then 25lbs of air in the rear shocks??
Right out of the box. This was the spring of '09 and new TG and I being new to triking, was playing around with air settings and being spring here we had frost heaves in the road to deal with. I started keeping the setting around 32# and above and the problem never happened after that. There weren't much mod's then since the TG's just came out.
Butch

Old 04-28-2012, 08:21 PM
dw2169
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone tells me that sir pressure in the shocks only affects the ride and has nothing to do with the height of the trike just the opposite of car air shocks. I don't know who to believe but when I adjust the air pressure from 50 pounds to 35 pounds, my height does not change.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:31 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by dw2169
Everyone tells me that sir pressure in the shocks only affects the ride and has nothing to do with the height of the trike just the opposite of car air shocks. I don't know who to believe but when I adjust the air pressure from 50 pounds to 35 pounds, my height does not change.
Take and pump up your shocks to 50 pounds take a measurement of the height of you fender or muffle tip then drop all the air and see if there is a differencs.

Butch

Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dw2169
I believe the amount of air pressure in your shocks limits the amount of travel and stiffness in your suspension.

Quick Reply: Right Rear Thumping Noise