Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Shift linkage destroyed....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 08:06 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift linkage destroyed....

Was on a ~700 mile round trip on my '12 TG. Just about the halfway point, I started to feel the shift levers knocking up against my left ankle. Looked down, but couldn't really see anything, and my wife on the back kept poking me in the back, telling me to watch the road, and not look down......

I was in a group of riders at the back, and as I went to downshift on a turn, I found I had no clutch nor working shifter. I limped to the side of the road, and looked down to see the entire shift mechanism in pieces. It had broken apart on the inside of the spline rod (or whatever they call that round piece of metal that goes through the tunnel in the engine case).

Fortunately, we had a chase truck with a trailer, so I was able to wheel the trike up into the trailer for the last fifteen miles to our halfway stop. The next day, I had to drive the trike 90 miles to the nearest Harley dealer (thankfully, it was a Saturday) where they replaced all the shift linkage parts (except the shift levers), and adjusted the clutch. I then had to load it back up and drive the 90 miles back into the mountains.

I was able to ride it all 360 miles home, but I am sure concerned about the clutch. They repair guy said I may have burned up some clutch, but never explained why he didn't bother to tear it down while it was in the shop.

A buddy's '11 Street Glide had the same problem on this same trip, but his didn't fall completely apart like mine, and he was able to get a local wrench to jury-rig something to get him home.....

I am not sure what's going on with Harley shift linkages.... My trike only has 7500 miles on the clock.

Last edited by TaylorMcStrat; 04-23-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:40 AM
glkshooter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shift linkage is always the first thing I change. Carry the original equipment in the tourpak to help someone in the event theres fail.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by glkshooter
The shift linkage is always the first thing I change. Carry the original equipment in the tourpak to help someone in the event theres fail.
+1. The original shift linkage is pure junk. That is one of the first things I change.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:22 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by oldmsocko
+1. The original shift linkage is pure junk. That is one of the first things I change.

Good to know. I had this repaired at the nearest HD dealer, so I am assuming they didn't bolt on anything better.

When you guys say you change it, what do you change it with/to? Brand? Part numbers?

Old 04-23-2012, 01:11 PM
CADOO
Advanced

When you guys say you change it, what do you change it with/to? Brand? Part numbers?[/quote]

Would like to know also. Be interesting cause I have never had a failure. Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 01:55 PM
dondee
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CADOO
When you guys say you change it, what do you change it with/to? Brand? Part numbers?
Would like to know also. Be interesting cause I have never had a failure. Thanks[/QUOTE]

I'd sure like to know this too.

Maybe I've just been lucky all these years but it never occurred to me that the shift linkage was a weak point.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced mine with part # 33760-09 Slotted with Bar & Shield Logo.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Any of the HD linkages with the heim joints are better then the OEM crap. Mine isn't made anymore. I've had this one on my 2004, 2008 Ultras and 2012 TG. I never worry about being stranded again. When mine broke I had to rely on zip ties for a field repair. Worked pretty good as long as I took it easy. Sure beat the alternative.

Make sure zip ties are part of your tool kit.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:08 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta
Any of the HD linkages with the heim joints are better then the OEM crap. Mine isn't made anymore. I've had this one on my 2004, 2008 Ultras and 2012 TG. I never worry about being stranded again. When mine broke I had to rely on zip ties for a field repair. Worked pretty good as long as I took it easy. Sure beat the alternative.

Make sure zip ties are part of your tool kit.
Yep, Heim joints take care of the problem once and for all. With the factory shift linkage its not a matter of if it will fail, it just a matter of when. One of the 1st things I toss is the stock linkage.

Old 04-24-2012, 05:50 AM
CADOO
Advanced

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Shift linkage destroyed....