Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

My first real ride today, wow!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:20 PM
dondee
|
Tourer
Default My first real ride today, wow!

After trading my FatBoy and my Superglide on the new TriGlide Monday night I was finally able to take a decent ride this afternoon. 170 mile round trip into the north GA mountains, and I had a ball. I intended to take a scenic pic or two with the trike in the foreground, but couldn't stop long enough-so here's one in my driveway if you missed it before:

It's been many years since I enjoyed a ride so much. The comfort was unbelievable compared to my others. I really felt like I could have gone on forever. I'm by no means an expert, but I now feel very confident on the trike negotiating curves and I know I'll continue to learn with time. Not that I'm a speed demon, but I was able to go around most curves at a much more reasonable speed than I anticipated. Someone here mentioned trying to do what the signs suggested, and that worked well. Straight-line riding is the most comfortable I remember in many years.

Let me just say this: anything I might have lost in the fun and cornering agility of a bike is more than made up for to me by losing the mental preoccupation with going over at a stop light or at low speed in a parking lot. It's like a giant cloud was lifted off my head, and I'm now again experiencing the sheer joy of motorcycling! I hope that makes sense to some of you.

An added benefit I hadn't counted on is the amount of interest folks have in these things. At one gas stop four different people came over to talk about it and compliment it. I even had people in cars coming up next to me and waving. And lest I should have been concerned, two wheelers still give the 'ol wave.

All in all my initial concerns are past me and I look forward to many years of enjoyment with the trike.

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:38 PM
botz723
Tourer

Good for you man, glad as **** youre enjoying yourself!

Old 04-20-2012 | 06:52 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Sweet! They are a blast....and you have to allow for extra at stops for all the questions....but that's a good thing.
Did the dealer give the complementary sack of lemons? They help with that silly grin you get when riding the TG.....

Be safe and congratulations on the new baby....

Old 04-20-2012 | 07:02 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Get used to the attention!! Last year on a 'lap' of the Grand Canyon, wife almost got mobbed by a bus load of Asian tourists at a roadside rest stop. Everyone wanted a picture with the American Old Lady Hells Angel on the motorcycle. We've walked out of a Motel to find a bunch standing and looking. They REALLY draw a crowd.

Get used to the groan when someone asks "What do one of those things go for" and you tell them.

Old 04-20-2012 | 07:27 PM
CADOO
Advanced

Hey Dondee glad you like your new scoot. My wife and I are still waiting for ours yet and am looking forward to the riding. They say it will be in maybe by the end of the month if not by the first week in May. ENJOY

Old 04-20-2012 | 08:50 PM
TUFF-IRON
Intermediate

Congratulation on your Tri-Glide and rediscovering the fun in motorcycles, I do know exactly what you mean. I told my wife after the first long ride on mine that it was the first time that I really enjoyed the ride in about 4 years. After 3 back surgery's and permanent nerve damage in both feet and legs I was no longer comfortable on my Street Glide and saftey was a big concern at stops and such.
I have a 2011 that is also black ,I just added a lift kit for the rear and it is one of the best improvements so far.Ride safe and get used to the attention that beautiful machine will draw.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:27 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default new tri glide

You said it, the added safety and security is a big thing it takes alot of mental stress out of riding.

Old 04-20-2012 | 09:44 PM
dondee
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUFF-IRON
Congratulation on your Tri-Glide and rediscovering the fun in motorcycles, I do know exactly what you mean. I told my wife after the first long ride on mine that it was the first time that I really enjoyed the ride in about 4 years. After 3 back surgery's and permanent nerve damage in both feet and legs I was no longer comfortable on my Street Glide and saftey was a big concern at stops and such.
I have a 2011 that is also black ,I just added a lift kit for the rear and it is one of the best improvements so far.Ride safe and get used to the attention that beautiful machine will draw.
Originally Posted by scooty
You said it, the added safety and security is a big thing it takes alot of mental stress out of riding.
That's it exactly guys. I was trying to explain it to the wife tonight but I'm not sure I could get her to understand. But somehow, slowly over the years being concerned about the real possibility of what-ifs had eroded my pleasure in the ride itself. This changes everything. The sheer joy of the ride is back. I'd almost forgotten how good it felt.

Hey CADOO, just you wait , man!

Old 04-21-2012 | 11:01 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master

congrats on the new TG. I was riding an interestate recently and had two cars on either side of me trying to get my attention. WOW, 3 wide, almost felt like Talladega! I just raised my hand and kept my eyes forward. Both drivers were waving at me.
Karen

Old 04-21-2012 | 04:15 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Default What if ? ? ?

What IF is exactly it, I thought I was the only one that lived with "WHAT IF" and riding double the further you get from home "WHAT IF" takes on even more possibilities or consequences.And everybody knows that a bagger fully loaded riding double is pretty top heavy.

Quick Reply: My first real ride today, wow!