Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Abs

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Rox
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Abs

Just wondering. I loved the ABS on my 09 Ultra, never had to use them in full operation, but the solid feel of the front brakes felt reassuring.

When I bought my 12 TriGlide, I noticed it didn't have ABS like the other touring bikes. So I asked my salesman and he couldn't answer why this particular touring bike didn't come with ABS. I know my TriGlide front brakes don't feel as solid but work fine (like my other previous non-ABS bikes).

Has anyone else asked this question and got a "good" answer?

Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Never bothered to ask, I would assume it is a cost and engineering thing. Harley has to devote time to engineering it then decide if the added cost will keep folks from buying Triglides equipped with ABS.

Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Boom
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
Never bothered to ask, I would assume it is a cost and engineering thing. Harley has to devote time to engineering it then decide if the added cost will keep folks from buying Triglides equipped with ABS.
That is the info I got from a dealer service tech who actually knew what he was talking about.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:40 PM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boom
That is the info I got from a dealer service tech who actually knew what he was talking about.
It certainly would be a pleasure to talk to him.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Stone1
Tourer

It really should not be a big expense. The reason I say this is the CSC trike conversion offers the ABS option for a Goldwing conversion if you have a ABS bike, I assume they would do the same if you did a CSC conversion on a Ultra Classic with ABS. I think the part is about $100. to keep the ABS when doing a conversion. I think if CSC can offer this that HD could do the same on the factory made trikes.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Stone1
It really should not be a big expense. The reason I say this is the CSC trike conversion offers the ABS option for a Goldwing conversion if you have a ABS bike, I assume they would do the same if you did a CSC conversion on a Ultra Classic with ABS. I think the part is about $100. to keep the ABS when doing a conversion. I think if CSC can offer this that HD could do the same on the factory made trikes.
HD could do it but there would be cost involved. The wiring harness is made specific to the Triglide and has no ABS provisions, so they would have to come up with a new harness. How many folks would spend an extra $800 - 1,000 for an ABS option.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:49 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

HD could do it but there would be cost involved. The wiring harness is made specific to the Triglide and has no ABS provisions, so they would have to come up with a new harness. How many folks would spend an extra $800 - 1,000 for an ABS option.
I would have to give it alot of thought before I would spend that sum of money on ABS.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:54 AM
Rox
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the information. My thoughts were since everything forward was an Ultra, why not the ABS with the front brakes??? I think with some forethought, HD could have added that to their specific wiring harness.

Well, when the feds make ABS mandatory on all bikes, they will have to do it then.

And I do believe is should be a nominal cost item, but I'm sure you're right HD will take it as an advantage to charge an extra $2000 for this special feature. Kind of like when reverse was an option in 2009 (pay more if you want it), later standard.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

How many folks would spend an extra $800 - 1,000 for an ABS option.
Absolutely no way. I'm perfectly happy with the way the breaks work now.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
Boom
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by oldmsocko

It certainly would be a pleasure to talk to him.
I believe he quit and opened a business somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Abs