Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Considering buying a trike, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Karen
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Considering buying a trike, any advice?

I am considering buying a trike in the near future. I have been riding for over 10 years. I am concerned about being able to hold up my 2 wheel bike much longer because of back and leg problems. My question is how much different is riding a trike to compared to riding a 2 wheel bike. I know it will be easier to hold up, but how different is the handeling?

Thanks
Karen

Old 04-10-2012, 02:24 AM
BETTY-BOB
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, welcome to the forum! I am new to 3wheels as well, picked up my trike in October. It's really not too different. I've been riding motorcycles on & off for over 20 years. When I bought my trike I was super nervous about the handling/steering. I sat on the trike for a couple of minutes just checking out the differences. Where the reverse was, cruise control, & what radio station I wanted to listen to, now that I had a stereo! LOL. Then I put it in motion in the parking lot, getting use to the heel/toe shift & manuevering some turns. After about 10 minutes, I hopped on the freeway & grinned the entire 45 minute trip home!

On two wheels you press left to go left. On three wheels you pull left while pushing right, to go left.

Also please check out our "Queens of the Road" Section for lady bikers.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Betty-Bob pretty much hit it on the head, got to also remember not to put your feet down and remember the back end of the trike is wider than the front end. The 1st time you ride one it would be best to practice doing figure 8's in a parking lot before hitting the road.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 AM
Rox
Advanced

Welcome to three wheels. Pretty much the main items have been covered. I know after riding for many years, handling a trike was a bit different to start off. As long as your arms and shoulders are sound, you can handle the push/pull fine. It doesn't take much to make a turn. Do remember you are wider, don't hit curbs turning into the convenience store. Also where you ride on the highway, you ride more into the center, not the normal two wheel tracks, your fender will be in the other lane. You will lean in a turn, it does nothing to turn the bike, but the centrifical force will try to push you off the trike. So leaning into a turn is common to keep your butt on the saddle. Do practice in a parking lot, I did, to get the feel. When you do your first reverse, it will feel strange. Do remember not to hit the brakes when you have the reverse button engaged, you will pop the circuit breaker...did it twice myself. And a good point about you don't have to put your feet down at stop lights. The one downside, is riding a rough road...with the extra wide rear tires, you will get bounced around, just take it slower. Also get used to getting off the trike, you will probably kick your fenders a few times before you get the process down.

Some nice things: I found riding a TriGlide to be easier on me on a longer run. Rides nice on open highways, nice and smooth. Watch curves that have no banking, slow down on these you can't lean harder into the turn like a two-wheel. After time you'll know the limits of your trike and yourself. I can roll into a gravel parking lot and not worry about dumping. The two-wheel riders take it easy in these types of parking lots and I blow by them to park. Also, boy do you get some looks riding and see people come up to gauk at your ride in a parking lot.

Test ride one and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM
joe momma
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

...........try it ....you will like it..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Skeet7373
Road Master

Hi Karen and welcome to the forum from another Karen. I live in Nashville, Tn. I also rode 2 wheels for over 20 years. My new 2012 TG was purchased two weeks go. Before I made the deal, I asked the dealer to test ride one. It wasn't funny at the time but I thought I was turning the trike, my mind said I was turning the trike but I almost put it off a 4"curb right into a 4 land highway. After 3 test rides up and down a roadway in an office area on a Sunday, my confidence grew. The handleing is different, one thing not mentioned is when you turn left, you will pull the left grip, push with the right grip and push on the right floorboard with your right foot and the same for the opposite turn. That helps to keep you in the saddle. It will some natural after a while of riding. I'm going on short runs every day. Plus, I'm taking roads with some curves to get used to the handling. Take it slow at your pace. My brain is a little harder to get the concept from 2 wheels to three. But the great thing is I don't have to worry about the weight, gravel, grass, putting my feet down at stop lights with oil on the pavement and" getting taller boots" since I'm gettin shorter with weight. I too have had back surgery, no problem riding the trike. The difference will be in your shoulders and arms. I should have some awsome "guns" by the end of the summer.

Karen Kinnard

Test ride one, it will be different, but after a short bit, you will want it bad!

Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Welcome Karen. Wife got the first trike. After 20 years on 2 wheels, Cancer treatments left her hands and feet numb, couldn't be sure if her foot was down. She wasn't ready for rocking chairs yet, so the trike. 2 laps around the parking lot, then a 45 mile ride home through the canyons of So. Cal. She put 25,000 miles in 6 states on it before I inherited it. She has 10,000 miles on her '11.
After open heart surgery and heart valve replacement, I couldn't hold up my E-Glide anymore. So I entered Trikedom. Had a lot harder time acclimating to the 3rd wheel. Really hard to split lanes, gutter run, or take the sidewalk shortcut.

your trike will:

steer differently
ride differently
stop differently
accelerate differently

not better or worse, just differently. No more leaning, or falling over. Backing up is a breeze. Can't park on the sidewalk anymore, never have trouble finding your trike, just look for the crowd. Get used to 'lookie-lues' and be prepared for 10 zillion questions. Smile when you get the gasp when you answer "How much does one of those things cost"

If we had our 'druthers' we both would be on 2 wheels, but time, old age, and aches and pains put a stop to that, and we just aren't ready for rocking chairs. Need the wind in our face, bugs in our teeth. Good Luck!

Last edited by screwball; 04-10-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:39 PM
scooty
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Trike ! ! !

KAREN,
There is nothing to fear about these trikes, they are great, the added safety and peace of mind will out weigh anything negative. They ride nice and handle G@@D and I don't know of anybody who bought one---hated it---and---sold it, G@@D LUCK ! ! !

Old 04-11-2012, 04:25 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They are a JOY to ride. You will learn to love it.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:24 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Karen, you WILL learn to love it! I'm new to the trike world...the transition was surprisingly easy. What everyone else said....!!! Also these folks on here are very helpful with answers for you on anything you want to add or subtract from your new ride....good experience here.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a trike, any advice?