Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:52 PM
overkill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are some pics. Just a little more to do. My next addition is a remote oil filter

Attached Thumbnails Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1012287.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1012286.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1012288.jpg   Tri-Glide Rear Brakes-p1012289.jpg  
Old 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by overkill
Here are some pics. Just a little more to do. My next addition is a remote oil filter
That is a awsome looking trike, you put a lot work into that trike, I noticed the black around the mounting bolts for the mudflaps, did you use a metal stiffener in that area or just paint? Different front fenders also.
Looks good, I like.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-21-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by overkill
Nice looking ride.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Very nice looking trike. You made it your own.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
I kept stewing about the factory master cylinder thinking it would work because they increased the bore size for the 2010 MY, I don't remember what the 09's size was, I do know it was smaller. I'm pretty sure they went to a 11/16 bore size in 2010 which until the other day I didn't realize the PM master cylinder has a 11/16 bore size. Then when I saw the parts list from overkill and found out it would be a month or longer before the new PM master cylinder would be completed I told myself that was the direction I would head until they get the new master cylinder completed.

I figure I'll give it a little time and call Steve to see if he has any updates on how things are moving along, unless he calls me 1st.
I did change out my rear calipers and master cylinder with the 2011's last spring so I'm set on that part. The 2011's did help with the braking a little. The main reason for changing out to PM stage-1 was to keep my P-brakes and hopefully eliminate the problems that the old setup had. There are times that it would be nice to have the P-brakes.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-22-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:07 PM
overkill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
That is a awsome looking trike, you put a lot work into that trike, I noticed the black around the mounting bolts for the mudflaps, did you use a metal stiffener in that area or just paint? Different front fenders also.
Looks good, I like.
Butch
Thanks.
The black around the mudflap bolts is a carbon fiber vynil from 3M. It matches the inserts on the tank and Tour Pak. The front fender is a 21in Benchmark fender from Klockwerks. I had to go with a 21 in fender because the stock didn't fit the 21in wheel.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:14 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

OK, help me I'm lost. When I stomp on my rear break, I can lock up the rear tires, If I press, I slow down. Never really had any disagreements with the rear breaks, seems like they are doing what they are supposed to do. I've been following this thread a while. Looking on the PM web site, it looks like the rear break retro is around $1500. From you and Young Mike, the master cylinder doesn't fit, PM doesn't have a fix now, and for a few dollars more you can BUY a different banjo that you have to bend a little and reuse the stock master cylender..... Whole lot of hay wiring, substituting, and reusing for 1500 bongo bucks. I'm sure the PM break setup is more responsive, but when some of the stuff doesn't fit, is the stuff that is left worth the $1500, or did I interpret the price wrong. Wife and I ride the hell out of our trikes and have no problem spending a lot of money on them.... can't take it with us, but sometimes I just don't understand.

Last edited by screwball; 04-22-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:52 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by screwball
OK, help me I'm lost. When I stomp on my rear break, I can lock up the rear tires, If I press, I slow down. Never really had any disagreements with the rear breaks, seems like they are doing what they are supposed to do. I've been following this thread a while. Looking on the PM web site, it looks like the rear break retro is around $1500. From you and Young Mike, the master cylinder doesn't fit, PM doesn't have a fix now, and for a few dollars more you can BUY a different banjo that you have to bend a little and reuse the stock master cylender..... Whole lot of hay wiring, substituting, and reusing for 1500 bongo bucks. I'm sure the PM break setup is more responsive, but when some of the stuff doesn't fit, is the stuff that is left worth the $1500, or did I interpret the price wrong. Wife and I ride the hell out of our trikes and have no problem spending a lot of money on them.... can't take it with us, but sometimes I just don't understand.
The main reason for going with PM braking was they allowed me to seperate my parking brakes from the main brakes, there are times I want my p-brakes. We didn't know that we would have a problem with the master cylinder, the mastet cylinder that PM shows on they're web site for the Tri-Glide is the proper design, but that's not what we recieved. The price showing is not what was paid, 1200 with shipping was the dallor amount. I don't have to stomp on the brakes to lock up the PM brake when working right. I don't like stomping on things to make them work, I like having better control of my equipment. With forceing you either have it or don't have it.

Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-22-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:35 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
In my case I had a couple reasons, one is I ride 2 up and pull a trailer 90% of the time so I figured 4 pistons should stop better than 1. The other reason is purely cosmetic, I have new PM rims which show a bunch more of the brake caliper so I figured I'd dress that area up a touch. At the time I didn't anticipate having to do any more than bolt and ride. I could use the PM master cylinder with the only issue being it may not last real long being blasted with the heat from the front exhaust pipe. So while PM is working through the issue I'll bolt on the stock master cylinder and wait.

I didn't pay full retail either, and the labors free. I picked mine up for $1187 shipped.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:43 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
In my case I had a couple reasons, one is I ride 2 up and pull a trailer 90% of the time so I figured 4 pistons should stop better than 1. The other reason is purely cosmetic, I have new PM rims which show a bunch more of the brake caliper so I figured I'd dress that area up a touch. At the time I didn't anticipate having to do any more than bolt and ride. I could use the PM master cylinder with the only issue being it may not last real long being blasted with the heat from the front exhaust pipe. So while PM is working through the issue I'll bolt on the stock master cylinder and wait.

I didn't pay full retail either, and the labors free. I picked mine up for $1187 shipped.
He maintains his TG and mine. In my opinion he is more qualified than any HD Tech. that I have run across plus his rates are reasonable, FREE.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes