Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
This is the fluid I picked up http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-38...d-1-liter.aspx , I got the info from one of the post from Eagle1 over at TT.
I'm assuming that this ATE Super Blue will be compatible with the gaskets and o-ring & what is the system that we have, dry boiling or wet boiling point, I've never heard of it put as wet or dry? I'm going to see if I can find this here in town. Thank you
Butch

Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They should go with a remote master cylinder reservoir like I have on my 06 Road king classic with the TLE side car set up. The reservoir sits between the down tubes just over were the oil cooler would be on a TriGlide

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
I'm assuming that this ATE Super Blue will be compatible with the gaskets and o-ring & what is the system that we have, dry boiling or wet boiling point, I've never heard of it put as wet or dry? I'm going to see if I can find this here in town. Thank you
Butch
Its DOT4 so it shouldn't cause any issues, I have it in my 06 Ultra right now and the brakes are working fine. The dry boiling point is what it will boil at when no water is present and the wet boiling point is what it will boil at when there is 3% water by volume in the system. I make it a point to purge my brake systems every 2 - 3 years, its amazing how nasty the fluid can get in that short amount of time.

Last edited by msocko3; 04-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:08 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by carlo
They should go with a remote master cylinder reservoir like I have on my 06 Road king classic with the TLE side car set up. The reservoir sits between the down tubes just over were the oil cooler would be on a TriGlide
That would be great if they could or would do something like putting the reservoir in a more accessible place. The way the master cylinder is designed a person has to remove the heat shield and lower fairing to make it easyer to get to the back screw on the cap. Hopefully it'll get corrected.
Butch

Old 04-17-2012, 02:57 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Placed another call to PM today to get a status update, was told engineering is seems to be dragging their feet. The guy I've been dealing with said the next step for him would be to bring engineerings slow response to the attention of the Company President. I told him that would be much appreciated because I'm getting a touch pissed at this point.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Placed another call to PM today to get a status update, was told engineering is seems to be dragging their feet. The guy I've been dealing with said the next step for him would be to bring engineerings slow response to the attention of the Company President. I told him that would be much appreciated because I'm getting a touch pissed at this point.
I did not call today but will tomorrow. I wonder how we could go straight to the Company President?
I looked around town for the ATE SuperBlue brake fluides and didn't find any, no body here knew what I was talking about. I did find other synthetic brake fluids with a higher boiling point then what we have now but not as high as the SuperBlue. I guess I'll have to settle with. It would cost to much to ship in the ATE Super Blue.
Thank you for the update.
Butch

P.S. Yesterday I was out running around, I started out with a firm rear brake pedal but after forty five minutes of riding time I found the rear brake pedal soft again. This is riding around from 55 mph to 30 mph to 20 mph etc., all moderate to slow speeds and the out side temp of about 50 degrees F.

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 04-17-2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:41 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

I did not call today but will tomorrow. I wonder how we could go straight to the Company President?
I looked around town for the ATE SuperBlue brake fluides and didn't find any, no body here knew what I was talking about. I did find other synthetic brake fluids with a higher boiling point then what we have now but not as high as the SuperBlue. I guess I'll have to settle with. It would cost to much to ship in the ATE Super Blue.
Thank you for the update.
Butch

P.S. Yesterday I was out running around, I started out with a firm rear brake pedal but after forty five minutes of riding time I found the rear brake pedal soft again. This is riding around from 55 mph to 30 mph to 20 mph etc., all moderate to slow speeds and the out side temp of about 50 degrees F.

I think we are moving along now, seems the higher up's kicked someone in the back side. I had Steve who I've been working with call me a little while ago, he said things are rolling along big time now. He actually called me twice, the 1st time to bring me up to date and the 2nd time to get the serial number off the master cylinder along with the invoice number from where I bought it. As luck would have it he recognized Eastern Performance Cycles where I bought it from right away. Appears they are concerned and engineering & R&D are hot on it. The path forward is not going to be an over night fix. According to Steve they will have to measure things up to create a new CNC program so they can cut the correct master cylinder, they will then have to test it for them selves to make sure it functions. He said the next step will be them sending me one to install and make sure it fits properly and functions correctly, then they will take care of anyone who having issues. The down side is this is no fast process, its going to be a month or longer with a month being amazingly fast. So until then I will be installing the master cylinder that came in the kit.

I have to say kudos to Steve, he remembered my name when I called and even had my phone number handy. He even said he is placing a note on his desk to stay on top of this for me.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I think we are moving along now, seems the higher up's kicked someone in the back side. I had Steve who I've been working with call me a little while ago, he said things are rolling along big time now. He actually called me twice, the 1st time to bring me up to date and the 2nd time to get the serial number off the master cylinder along with the invoice number from where I bought it. As luck would have it he recognized Eastern Performance Cycles where I bought it from right away. Appears they are concerned and engineering & R&D are hot on it. The path forward is not going to be an over night fix. According to Steve they will have to measure things up to create a new CNC program so they can cut the correct master cylinder, they will then have to test it for them selves to make sure it functions. He said the next step will be them sending me one to install and make sure it fits properly and functions correctly, then they will take care of anyone who having issues. The down side is this is no fast process, its going to be a month or longer with a month being amazingly fast. So until then I will be installing the master cylinder that came in the kit.

I have to say kudos to Steve, he remembered my name when I called and even had my phone number handy. He even said he is placing a note on his desk to stay on top of this for me.
Good Job, I'm sure it will take a little time. Maybe I should also talk with Steve, I'll ask Brad tomorrow if he as gotten with Steve about this problem. As long as it gets done. I got my fingers crossed
Thanks
Butch

Old 04-18-2012, 06:17 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Good Job, I'm sure it will take a little time. Maybe I should also talk with Steve, I'll ask Brad tomorrow if he as gotten with Steve about this problem. As long as it gets done. I got my fingers crossed
Thanks
Butch
The funny part is Steve also does sales also, the 1st conversation he and I had he mentioned he didn't know a whole lot about the subject I was discussing.

Old 04-18-2012, 03:00 PM
overkill
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from road trip and read your post.
I installed the PM second stage brake system. Had the same problem. Access to the cover was a real pain. I reinstalled the stock master cylinder and have had no problems. I ordered the parts from J&P. I went with black since my trike is totally blacked out.
241-765 10mm 90 degree banjo fitting
241-774 3/8 banjo bolt
241-744 23in brake line
I also replaced the brake tee, since I wanted black, 242-476.
The bajo fitting took a little tweaking, tight fit.
Sold the PM master cylinder on ebay, more than made up for the cost of parts.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes