Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Tri-Glide Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:35 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by msocko3
You might want to keep an eye on the line that comes from the brake like switch fitting and goes to the block on the swing arm. I run for about 14 hours at around 75 mph on a 90 degree day on my way to Maggie Valley for the TT rally. When I got there I happen to look down and found the heat shrink they put over the joint had melted, their getting a phone call from me on Monday when I get home.

Thank You for the heads up, I guess I'll be putting some heat rap on. I had thought about it the last time I had the headers off, but didn't happen.
Butch

Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SEAlaskan
Thank You for the heads up, I guess I'll be putting some heat rap on. I had thought about it the last time I had the headers off, but didn't happen.
Butch
I'm starting to get the feeling PM is good at bling but does poorly at functional items.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:54 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I'm starting to get the feeling PM is good at bling but does poorly at functional items.
Now what happen?
It works on paper, It works on display, It works when taking it around a short block, YES I think your right.
What if a person was to take the HD master cylinder and make the hole in the reservoir larger and what kind of reaction would accrue with brake fluid touching aluminum?
I know that the PM master cylinder has two holes and not sure why, I like to dissect PM's master cylinder to see how it works but won't.

The part that got me was them showing one master cylinder on the web sight and recieving a totally different master cylinder and for them to claim that I have the right one. The one shown on the web sight is the better design.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 06-24-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Now what happen?
It works on paper, It works on display, It works when taking it around a short block, YES I think your right.
What if a person was to take the HD master cylinder and make the hole in the reservoir larger and what kind of reaction would accrue with brake fluid touching aluminum?
I know that the PM master cylinder has two holes and not sure why, I like to dissect PM's master cylinder to see how it works but won't.

The part that got me was them showing one master cylinder on the web sight and recieving a totally different master cylinder and for them to claim that I have the right one. The one shown on the web sight is the better design.
Butch
I talked to Steve and sent him a picture of the melted heat shrink. I ask him if they actually had people who really road their triked running this stuff without issue. He was surprised at the riding I do and said they may not have any out there who ride the distances I've been riding. He did say they are working on the 1st cut of the new master cylinder. If I think about it I may give him a call and see what the thoughts were on the picture I sent.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:09 AM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

I talked to Steve and sent him a picture of the melted heat shrink. I ask him if they actually had people who really road their triked running this stuff without issue. He was surprised at the riding I do and said they may not have any out there who ride the distances I've been riding. He did say they are working on the 1st cut of the new master cylinder. If I think about it I may give him a call and see what the thoughts were on the picture I sent.
Mmmmm..I wonder how many they do have running around, the first trip around town I found a problem with the master cylinder, at first I thought it was air in the lines but after bleeding the lines about three times got me to start looking in other areas.
So far I'm not having any problems with the heat shink, but I'm short runs and running lite right now, but will still keep a watch on the heat shink.
First cut.... hope they get them out soon.
Butch

Last edited by SEAlaskan; 06-28-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-29-2012, 04:53 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Mmmmm..I wonder how many they do have running around, the first trip around town I found a problem with the master cylinder, at first I thought it was air in the lines but after bleeding the lines about three times got me to start looking in other areas.
So far I'm not having any problems with the heat shink, but I'm short runs and running lite right now, but will still keep a watch on the heat shink.
First cut.... hope they get them out soon.
Butch
I called yesterday and Steve was off, I'm going to be pretty busy for a week or better so I'll have to try later.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:31 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Time to bring this to the top and add some new information. I talked to Steve today and he got with the engineers who said they found the problem. They said the plunger rod wasn't long enough so it hasn't been delivering the complete amount of fluid the brake system needs. He said they will not do a complete redesign, just made a longer rod and installed that instead.

He has me emailing the order information from when I bought the system so he can RMA the old one and get the new one with the longer rod sent to me. He is also just replacing the line with the melted heat shrink, they don't have any plans on changing it.

Since I no longer own the Triglide I will be selling the PM brake system once I get all the new parts.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Rich B.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey,
I recently ordered an 18" PM wheel set for my Tri-Glide with the intent of following up in the spring with the big brake upgrade. I've read these posts and viewed the pics, and quite frankly, I know I wouldn't be too happy spending the bucks they ask for this brake system only to wind up with fitment, quality and customer service issues. I am very surprised at all of this since there is no one else in the industry with more experience in aftermarket, performance braking systems for our HD bikes and trikes than PM. These are the "go to" guys for this kind of product. You can tell them that due to their "issues", and solutions with this brake system, I am questioning the purchase.
Thanks for all the candid information.
R

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM
SEAlaskan
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rich B.
Hey,
I recently ordered an 18" PM wheel set for my Tri-Glide with the intent of following up in the spring with the big brake upgrade. I've read these posts and viewed the pics, and quite frankly, I know I wouldn't be too happy spending the bucks they ask for this brake system only to wind up with fitment, quality and customer service issues. I am very surprised at all of this since there is no one else in the industry with more experience in aftermarket, performance braking systems for our HD bikes and trikes than PM. These are the "go to" guys for this kind of product. You can tell them that due to their "issues", and solutions with this brake system, I am questioning the purchase.
R
Part of the brake system is nice, the part that let's you use your old calipers for the parking brakes only. What I have now is their calipers for the main brakes and my old calipers for my parking brakes, which works great, it's from the STOP SWITCH forward that's the problem. What they show on the web sight for a master cylinder is not what they give you and as far as I care the one showen on the web sight is the proper design, it just needs to handle more volume of fluid. They tell me that this new master cylinder is to H-D's spec's "I don't see how", I thought the old design would have been more to H-D's spec.
What's happening now is I'm having trouble getting a couple of their so cal tech's to return my email or phone calls "The aren't"and it's starting really starting to pissss me off.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:27 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rich B.
Hey,
R
Performance Machine was bought by a corporate giant back in 2008 called Manufacturers Aftermarket Group. I'm not so sure the desire for top notch customer service exist this day, and I'm not so sure their design and engineering dept is so swift any more.

Quick Reply: Tri-Glide Rear Brakes