Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

New Head Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 10:16 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Head Pipe

Ordered the Jackpot Headpipe from Fuel Moto today. Only a 5 -6 week wait, aughhh. Hope it's shorter then that. Can't wait to hear what my Fat Shotz will sound like. At least my floorboard extenders will be on making the install of the headpipe a little easier.

Is anyone running only a modified exhaust system with no stage I A/C or fuel management/XIED? Just wondering what to expect it terms of heat, economy and performance.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:13 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're probably going to have to remove the right floorboard anyway for the install.
Just a few tips for what it's worth:
An extra set of hands will help but I did mine alone & it wasn't too much of a hassle.
If you're thinking about wrapping the headpipe, it will be a lot easier to do before it's installed. 20 feet of Thermotec wrap is about $20 & may be the best money you'll spend.
Use new manifold gaskets.
While I'm sure the pipe alone helps with heat reduction, you're not going to see any large reduction without richening up the fuel with some kind of fuel management system. May as well add a stage I AC too.
David

Old 03-28-2012, 01:50 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the first shipment of FuelMoto head pipes and ceramic coated wasnt an option then. The ceramic pipes are supposed to radiate less heat and may not have to be wraped. You may want to consider the ceramic if if you ordered only the SS type. Maybe someone here can comment on that from first hand experience as i only have the wraped original SS verson. Too bad Fuelmoto doesnt have a trade in policy, I would have the ceramic pipes in a sec..

Old 03-29-2012, 07:22 AM
Buddy WMC
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
You're probably going to have to remove the right floorboard anyway for the install.
An extra set of hands will help but I did mine alone & it wasn't too much of a hassle.
If you're thinking about wrapping the headpipe, it will be a lot easier to do before it's installed. 20 feet of Thermotec wrap is about $20 & may be the best money you'll spend.
While I'm sure the pipe alone helps with heat reduction, you're not going to see any large reduction without richening up the fuel with some kind of fuel management system. May as well add a stage I AC too.
David
David is right on the money. In my case ceramic coating was not an option. I had my headers ceramic coated locally and then wrapped them anyways just for the hell of it. HD SE Ventilator A/C and the TTS fuel management system took care of the rest of the heat issues. Installing the 255 cams did not hurt either. Just some suggestions if your pocketbook can handle it.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:46 AM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Another thing to be careful of if you dont already know is the crossover gasket. It is kinda fragile/easy to deform. The new head pipe should fit over it nicely as it is still expanded , just dont try to force it

Old 03-29-2012, 09:42 PM
bullet 10
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Delta, I am running the Fuel moto header with stock breather and mufflers. The ECM adapted to the combo, the stock mufflers got a little louder and sound better with more low end torque. I have a TTS tuner with a map from WIZ to help cooling engine temps down, the headers won,t do it alone.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:13 PM
hdivy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Delta, I am running the Fuel moto header with stock breather and mufflers. The ECM adapted to the combo, the stock mufflers got a little louder and sound better with more low end torque. I have a TTS tuner with a map from WIZ to help cooling engine temps down, the headers won,t do it alone.
So the head pipe did not cool it down?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:30 PM
icebite1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hdivy
If you go back into the older posts when there were several of us working on cooling the TG down and getting it to run like we thought it should you will find that we were in agreement that no one mod did it all but the combination of all is what really makes the difference.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:18 PM
bigdoged2
6th Gear
Default fender trim

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
David
grandpaw;
where did you get your fender trim for rear
thanks ed

Old 04-22-2012, 03:41 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bullet 10
Originally Posted by hdivy
Originally Posted by icebite1
If you go back into the older posts when there were several of us working on cooling the TG down and getting it to run like we thought it should you will find that we were in agreement that no one mod did it all but the combination of all is what really makes the difference.

Hope U guys don't mind a visit from a Heritage owner.
I am in here looking for my Cuz..
He just bought a 11 TG, last yr after dropping his 10 Ultra for the 4th time,
on the last one he really messed up his ankle, still has a limp.

So he asked me to see what U TG owners are doing for heat issue.

Our 07 had a lot of members in here back in 07 giving them the what for on heat issues also. I did the usual stg1 and cams and got rid of 30-35 * of oil heat, my oil temp went from 245-250* when new to now after mods to 215-220*

Seem like so far from what I've read in here its almost the same as any other 96'er or 103'' TC motor for the Trikes.

So far is seems like a good way for the Cuz to go would be.

1.Fuel Moto SS headers seems to be one of the better picks,

2.F/M of some kind, (He's never used one, I have/like my old SERT, But I know now there's others to choose from. He wants one that is installed and leave it alone, He don't want to have to mess with it.)

3.High perf A/C, (probably just the SE A/C.)

4.Cams, Thinking the cams should have 30* or less on the Intake close to keep the TQ where U need it.
I think these cams below wound be on the look-at list
A. SE255's --13*overlap -- 25* Intake close
B. S&S 551'S --29* overlap --18* Intake close
C. Andrews 21's -- 18* overlap --30* Intake close.
Any other cam picks for the Trikes??

My son put in the S&S 551's in his Street Glide and really likes them.
I know the 255's are good cams, but thinking a little more overlap would help even more on the heat issue.

Any input or thoughts that would help from U guys would be great to hear.

Quick Reply: New Head Pipe