Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

A Good Idea

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A Good Idea

I would like to share a good idea I have done for myself. This is for all the riders that use face shields. The type that isn't fixed and is used on 3/4 helmets. I have the type that allows you to lift it and have it stay at whatever ratcheting position the helmet's design allows. Inside the shield. I used masking tape. Leaving a 2" space unmasked across the bottom. I then spray painted that black. I used flat black. The outer surface of the shield made the black have a shine to it. The reason for painting the shield is this. It will allow you to block that blinding sun, especially when your headed west at the end of the day. Just lift up your shield and use it just like a sun visor in a auto. It's so much better than riding one handed, looking like your saluting all the cages that are coming at you.

Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-09-2012, 03:06 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

I simply used black electrical vinyl tape and taped off the top, not bottom, of my full face helmet at the top. That way I still have full vision, and not obstructed at the lower part. I don't have to raise it up either. Also, you can easily take the tape off if you want. Also, electrical tape comes in different colors, so if your helmet is red, black or whatever, match it up with the same electrical tape color. Works great for me.

If you lift your shield up on a cold day, you lose its shielding benefits from the cold. Also, I found that shield could blow off if you are trying it at freeway speeds and a gust of wind grabs you. Something to consider.

Last edited by Diesel-Dawg; 02-09-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:17 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Diesel-Dawg
I simply used black electrical vinyl tape and taped off the top, not bottom, of my full face helmet at the top. That way I still have full vision, and not obstructed at the lower part. I don't have to raise it up either. Also, you can easily take the tape off if you want. Also, electrical tape comes in different colors, so if your helmet is red, black or whatever, match it up with the same electrical tape color. Works great for me.

If you lift your shield up on a cold day, you lose its shielding benefits from the cold. Also, I found that shield could blow off if you are trying it at freeway speeds and a gust of wind grabs you. Something to consider.

I never had that problem. The ratcheting type holds fine and the windshield on my trike keeps me from getting the full brunt of a cold air blast. The electrical tape peals after it is subjected to heat and cold. As I stated this idea is for riders that have the 3/4 helmet. Not the full face " feeling like your in sitting in a space capsule helmet" And the sun setting or rising doesnt last all that long.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM
Vernl
Novice

I used a scrap piece of dark window tint an inch and a half wide and put it on the inside

Last edited by Vernl; 02-12-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:16 AM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member

all good ideas thanks guys

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

I use some electrical tape on top of my shield too. Never had it peel off. I change helmets every 2-3 years.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Diesel-Dawg
Tourer

The reason I chimed in on the electrical tape idea is that my modular helmet also has a flip up shield, separate from the chin bar. So your idea applies to both 3/4 and full face. However, on the modular, the paint would work also, but it would have to be at the top since you have less area for visibility on the shield surface at the bottom. Just my thoughts. I like all of the ideas.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:49 PM
mackibc
6th Gear

Originally Posted by zoood
I would like to share a good idea I have done for myself. This is for all the riders that use face shields. The type that isn't fixed and is used on 3/4 helmets. I have the type that allows you to lift it and have it stay at whatever ratcheting position the helmet's design allows. Inside the shield. I used masking tape. Leaving a 2" space unmasked across the bottom. I then spray painted that black. I used flat black. The outer surface of the shield made the black have a shine to it. The reason for painting the shield is this. It will allow you to block that blinding sun, especially when your headed west at the end of the day. Just lift up your shield and use it just like a sun visor in a auto. It's so much better than riding one handed, looking like your saluting all the cages that are coming at you.
Outstanding
idea. I did mine today just like you said and went for a 230 Mile ride and it was very nice being able to adjust the face shield to keep the sun out of my eyes. One of best Ideas for making riding safer . Thank you very much for sharing. Bruce