Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Heated Grips

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:26 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Heated Grips

Anyone have heated grips on their Tri-Glide?

(Trying to think of do-dads to get ahead of IHP)

Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 PM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho

We have them on both the 2010 & 2012 TG's.
They're the same ones that come on the FLHTK (ultra limited) & work just as well. I think they're worth the cost.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:34 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go Barbara. My money is on you.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer does not install them anymore.Too many issues with OEM heated grips.I like my heated gloves and can keep them if I trade.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:26 AM
Dogdaz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grips

I have tried two sets of HD heated grips thinking if I install them they would work. The forums are full of horror stories about HD heated grips and I think most are true the dealers don't want to carry them. After two sets put on right by me with every precaution and they failed repeatedly. I now use heated gloves and have no problems and I can use them on other vehicles. They look nice (the grips with the adjustment on the end) I have the aileron ones on the trike now and they don't work. If you run your wires internal you would think it would help protect them, NOT. I ran the wires internal and heat shrinked them and soldered all connections and they work for a short while. Too much maintenance not worth it. I am sure there and some that work and there will be follow ups saying they work but read on several forums and you will see the many posts about them not working. When the dealers don't even want to carry them that might give you an indication of the reliability. The gloves work better and come with a lifetime warranty that also might give you an indication of how they work. I use my gloves on my 4wheeler trail riding and on my trike, lots of use and they keep on working. Thanks, Jerry

Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM
hotshoe
Cruiser

I had them dealer installed when I purchased my 2010 and have not had any problems with them. I've ridden in temps of low 30"s and they do a decent job. My rides in these temps are usually 200 to 400 miles. Finger tips and thumb tip will get cold but not unbearable. No doubt heated gloves along with the grips would be ideal. Maybe heated gloves alone would work well too. Some of the gloves are battery powered which would be good; I don't want to plug into anymore than communication headsets every time you mount or dismount so I've not considered the gloves powered by the bike electrical system.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:06 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Have heated grips on the Ltd. and just put them on the wife's TriGlide. They have worked well so far. Our dealer puts them on all of the cop bikes before they leave the dealership, and there have been no problems that I know of.

Bill

Old 02-04-2012, 09:52 AM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Have heat jacket liner and gloves....think I'll save my $$ for the trips this summer!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

I have the hard-wired heated gloves with the temperature control add-on and I swear by em. I made a trip from VA to Iowa in late March/early April last year with sub-freezing temperatures in the mountains of West Virginia and the whole state of Iowa and my hands stayed toasty the whole way. The grips would have kept my palms warm, but would have left my finger tips and top of hands cold.

Yeah, the plugging in and such is a pain, but it's worth it.

Bubba

Old 02-06-2012, 04:30 PM
Ironhorsepilot
Road Master

I have heated grips. Had them put on when I got the trike. Still working fine.

Sorry, Barbara and Mike!

Quick Reply: Heated Grips