Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

pricing and trade or no trade...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pricing and trade or no trade...opinions?

I know there's been lots of talk on buying new trikes, pricing and trades but I'm having to search so many threads to get answers and thought it would we better to have it all in one thread for other folks to use.

I'm finally starting to get serious on getting my trike this month. Now, I've heard so much talk about deals I'd like to know the latest on 2012's. I want a new 2012 black triglide and intend to trade my 2010 fatboy in on it. The fatboy has 19,500 miles and is showroom condition...stage one and other little extras.

Advice on what to expect to pay out the door? Oh, I live in New Orleans...have 3 dealers within 50 miles that I intend to see if necesssary.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 2009 I traded a 2007 Ultra with 12k.Great shape.Dealer gave $15,500 and sold me the trike for $1000 underlist no frt. no prep.,plus some incidntal acc.Baggers still sell non-baggers are soft some are very soft.I don't think the 2012's have changed,don't pass up a 2011 if priced right.Just get the one you want,your gonna be dead a long time.

good luck your gonna like it,

T K

Old 01-03-2012, 10:16 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

do it. DO IT. DO IT You will never get what you think your old bike is worth. We sat on a Dyna and a Nightrain for two years......resale didn't go up!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 10:45 AM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure what you expect to hear. You have been given a good idea of what you will encounter from the experiences above. Take your bike to the three dealers, get their best offers, then pick one.

You have to weigh what it's worth to you. I doubt you'll get a better deal waiting as we go into spring.

Prices are always influenced by where you live.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:03 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

A little history. In 2008 we bought wife a new Softail Deluxe. Basically a lowered Fatboy. She loved it! 1000 miles later she was diagnosed with Cancer. 6 months of Chemo treatments, he cancer was gone, so was the feeling in her hands and feet. Riding a 2 wheeler was out of the question. After another 6 months of physical rehab and a 'sit' on a friends Goldwing Trike, she decided it was NOT time for a rocking chair. We bought her an '09 Tri Glide. This wasn't a 'want' purchase, it was a 'have to'. SHE LOVES IT! Took me a couple of years of playing with her Trike to decide at 66 I was ready for the third wheel. Traded my '08 E-Glide for an '11 trike. Gave her the new one, I inherited the "old piece of crap". Would I rather have my E-Glide back.... sure, but if I went down, I couldn't get it up again. My Balance isn't what it used to be, neither is my strength. I don't know how old you are, but TK said it right, we are going to be dead for a very long time.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by screwball
A little history. In 2008 we bought wife a new Softail Deluxe. Basically a lowered Fatboy. She loved it! 1000 miles later she was diagnosed with Cancer. 6 months of Chemo treatments, he cancer was gone, so was the feeling in her hands and feet. Riding a 2 wheeler was out of the question. After another 6 months of physical rehab and a 'sit' on a friends Goldwing Trike, she decided it was NOT time for a rocking chair. We bought her an '09 Tri Glide. This wasn't a 'want' purchase, it was a 'have to'. SHE LOVES IT! Took me a couple of years of playing with her Trike to decide at 66 I was ready for the third wheel. Traded my '08 E-Glide for an '11 trike. Gave her the new one, I inherited the "old piece of crap". Would I rather have my E-Glide back.... sure, but if I went down, I couldn't get it up again. My Balance isn't what it used to be, neither is my strength. I don't know how old you are, but TK said it right, we are going to be dead for a very long time.
63 this month and I couldn't agree with you more. Sure I'd like to get the best deal I can but yes I WILL get the third wheel. The more I save, the more I can give back to them for the goodies!

A couple of reasons for the third wheel...one, my wife will enjoy more riding time with me...can you imagine riding on the back of a fatboy!..she's been a good sport till now ...and two, I'm just begining to understand I'm not immortal....if I can ride 15 or more years, this won't be my last trike!

Thanks for the comments!

Old 01-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Rox
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer, since I knew them well, gave me a small discount on my 2012 TriGlide, and very good trade-in for my 09 Ultra. And I had saved up some cash, so the financing of the difference wasn't bad. But it is all up to how the dealer will deal. I know two guys that their HDs were older and wouldn't get much for them in trade-in, so they just kept them.

One thing I would suggest, that I did. I went through the HD catalog and made note of all the goodies I wanted. With my experience buying the 09, the dealer gave me 15% off when buying the new trike and since they installed the items, they also fall under my warranty. And HD finance rolled these items into the financing. So worked well.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Rox
My dealer, since I knew them well, gave me a small discount on my 2012 TriGlide, and very good trade-in for my 09 Ultra. And I had saved up some cash, so the financing of the difference wasn't bad. But it is all up to how the dealer will deal. I know two guys that their HDs were older and wouldn't get much for them in trade-in, so they just kept them.

One thing I would suggest, that I did. I went through the HD catalog and made note of all the goodies I wanted. With my experience buying the 09, the dealer gave me 15% off when buying the new trike and since they installed the items, they also fall under my warranty. And HD finance rolled these items into the financing. So worked well.
good idea...I'll be ready....thanks...oh, also I "think" I know the folks at the dealer well but we'll see just how well. I bought my fatboy there and all the add-ons and had my service done there so I have some history with them...good history I hope in their eyes. I'll let you know what happens....will try this weekend....

Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 AM
Bubba49
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 142 Posts

If your three dealers won't give you a good deal you can always branch out to dealers out of the area. I bought my 11 XXX in May 11 and the three dealers in my area wouldn't even tell me over the phone what they wanted for an 11 XXX. I went to each one in person and they wanted anywhere from 32 - 33.5K for one with a reverse.

I called a dealer in Raleigh NC and the salesman sent me a total break down of the price and options via email within 5 minutes of my call. They gave me a $1000 giftcard for being a veteran, which I put down on the trike, and I also got a color matched tour pack in the deal ($1200 of price). They also threw in a battery tender (already wired into trike). Bottom line price ended up being $30,295.00.
I rode a train down to pick it up at a cost of $35.00 and rode it back to VA Beach.

I didn't get any kind of deal on the first two TGs I bought in 09 from an unnamed dealer in Northern VA (Fairfax).

Bubba

Old 01-04-2012, 08:02 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Bubba49
If your three dealers won't give you a good deal you can always branch out to dealers out of the area. I bought my 11 XXX in May 11 and the three dealers in my area wouldn't even tell me over the phone what they wanted for an 11 XXX. I went to each one in person and they wanted anywhere from 32 - 33.5K for one with a reverse.

I called a dealer in Raleigh NC and the salesman sent me a total break down of the price and options via email within 5 minutes of my call. They gave me a $1000 giftcard for being a veteran, which I put down on the trike, and I also got a color matched tour pack in the deal ($1200 of price). They also threw in a battery tender (already wired into trike). Bottom line price ended up being $30,295.00.
I rode a train down to pick it up at a cost of $35.00 and rode it back to VA Beach.

I didn't get any kind of deal on the first two TGs I bought in 09 from an unnamed dealer in Northern VA (Fairfax).

Bubba
Wow...I do need to try that...can't hurt!

Quick Reply: pricing and trade or no trade...opinions?