Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

pricing and trade or no trade...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 09:25 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
I always figure that vs. what I think I can sell it for. In a lot of cases there isn't much of a price differential if you are going to save 2 or 3 thousand in tax. (Locally, sales tax is now up to an Obama ripping 9.3%) I also factor in the aggrevation factor that in this market the thing may not sell for weeks or months.
UPDATE....got two quotes, $3000 difference between them. One dealer shot a price at me after going over my bike. The offer on the new bike was MSRP plus 3000 more than the MSRP that HD's website has....I asked why would that be?...reply: high demand bikes don't sell at MSRP. I said call me if you can do better and she let me walk out, no questions asked. I guess they don't need to sell a bike. My local dealer who I already bought a bike from did shoot out about the same price initially but when I asked about MSRP online price, they matched it without hesitation.

Figuing in the sales tax savings and such, my local dealership offering on my trade is about 13500.... I might be able to get $15000 max for my trade retail, not worth my time, effort, hassles.

There is something to be said for dealing with local dealer if they have treated you fairly in the past...I don't do alot of business with them other the the bike purchase but I'm pleased with my experience. Unless I get an awesome deal from two other folks I'm talking to internet/phone that are within an hour away, I'll probably do the local deal.

I appreciate all your comments and suggestion...they were helpful...I love this site. NOW as I go forward into upgrades and maintenance issues, I'm going to look for advice again....thank you.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:29 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Casper
Yep, check around...I drove from Kentucky to Paris TX to get my 2010 TG...they gave me a good deal on trading in my 2010 RG too....

But, it's always money ahead when you sell yours first and then buy....but sometimes it's worth it ( time, money, hassle) to just trade it in....your call on that.

I gree, thanks

Old 01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Cat
UPDATE....got two quotes, $3000 difference between them. One dealer shot a price at me after going over my bike. The offer on the new bike was MSRP plus 3000 more than the MSRP that HD's website has....I asked why would that be?...reply: high demand bikes don't sell at MSRP.
My response would have been most reputable dealers sell all bikes at MSRP or below. Around my neck of the woods the dealers sell everything from Triglides to all the CVO bikes at MSRP, some will even throw stuff in to sweeten the deal.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:56 AM
Fat Cat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by msocko3
My response would have been most reputable dealers sell all bikes at MSRP or below. Around my neck of the woods the dealers sell everything from Triglides to all the CVO bikes at MSRP, some will even throw stuff in to sweeten the deal.
Thanks...wish I'd thought of that..they were so arrogant like we don't have another place to buy. I don't understand how that kind of customer service can sustain a business for very long. If no one sold at MSRP, well, they may have an argument... but their attitude is what's so annoying..it's the worst. If you're trying to get me in the butt, at least try to make me enjoy it! I've paid premium price for things before but there was always an upside....I'm truely thinking they may not be in business for long...they are a small shop with not much inventory compared to other shops. Seems to me, all the more reason to be more customer service oriented.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:32 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
There is one local dealer that marks all Trikes at $5000.00 over MSRP. Harley dealers got use to charging more than MSRP when basically everything they sold had a deposit on it before it even arrived. Some are having trouble adjusting to the fact that there is a recession and Harley sales have not rebounded. We have five or six dealers here in the Phoenix area. I had one tell me they would not "denigrate" the Harley name by offering discounts on bikes. They are still in business and they are still big. Luckily, when I bought mine I finally went to a dealer about 30 miles away from my side of town and their attitude and prices were different. In fact, I would up with THE bike that I had been looking at on my side of town. The 30 mile away dealer put out a call for what I wanted and then traded for it and sold me the same bike for less.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM
azbob09
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
There is one local dealer that marks all Trikes at $5000.00 over MSRP. Harley dealers got use to charging more than MSRP when basically everything they sold had a deposit on it before it even arrived. Some are having trouble adjusting to the fact that there is a recession and Harley sales have not rebounded. We have five or six dealers here in the Phoenix area. I had one tell me they would not "denigrate" the Harley name by offering discounts on bikes. They are still in business and they are still big. Luckily, when I bought mine I finally went to a dealer about 30 miles away from my side of town and their attitude and prices were different. In fact, I would up with THE bike that I had been looking at on my side of town. The 30 mile away dealer put out a call for what I wanted and then traded for it and sold me the same bike for less.
Could I ask you who you prefer to deal with?
Thanks, Bob...

Last edited by azbob09; 01-09-2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: misspelled
Old 01-09-2012, 11:16 AM
pettifogger1
Tourer

Originally Posted by azbob09
Could I ask you how you prefer to deal with?
Thanks, Bob...
On the Trike, I got the best deal from Chester's in Mesa.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:01 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Cat
Thanks...wish I'd thought of that..they were so arrogant like we don't have another place to buy. I don't understand how that kind of customer service can sustain a business for very long. If no one sold at MSRP, well, they may have an argument... but their attitude is what's so annoying..it's the worst. If you're trying to get me in the butt, at least try to make me enjoy it! I've paid premium price for things before but there was always an upside....I'm truely thinking they may not be in business for long...they are a small shop with not much inventory compared to other shops. Seems to me, all the more reason to be more customer service oriented.
There is no room for arrogance when one is in business. My dad and I quit doing business with a dealer we had bought several bikes from because the new owner is arrogant and the service dept went down hill. There are other people who have noticed the same thing about the new owner, its a big turn off.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
T K Glider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling a bike can be a hassle.Some states give you a sales tax benefit.A good way to do this is,sell your bike then take your bike to the dealer.Trade your bike and have the dealer sell your bike to your buyer.Usually a fee of $150. I have done this on autos as well.