Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Trunk Door Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:37 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by screwball
The lid on the '09 popped open a couple of times. Took a good long look and found out that the cable didn't always release all the way, and the two latches didn't engage fully. A little WD 40 cured all the problems. Hint, when you close the lid, grab the handle and give it a tug or two. If the latched didn't engage properly it will come open THEN, not on the slab.

A friend modified and super-glued a kiddy latch for kitchen cabinets......
Interesting, becuase I *did* do that before I left the garage. I needed to put my vest back in the trunk, and have made it a habit to tug o nthe handle a couple times to ensure it's latched.

It *still* popped open on the slab, as you call it.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by screwball
The lid on the '09 popped open a couple of times. Took a good long look and found out that the cable didn't always release all the way, and the two latches didn't engage fully. A little WD 40 cured all the problems. Hint, when you close the lid, grab the handle and give it a tug or two. If the latched didn't engage properly it will come open THEN, not on the slab.

A friend modified and super-glued a kiddy latch for kitchen cabinets......
Funny thing is I did that. I have made it a habit to tug on the latch handle to ensure the trunk is latched properly.

It *still* opened up on me on the road.

I agree - let's have Dennis add something new to his tglidestuff.com site.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Four model years later and MoCo still can't get it right

I've had mine worked on three times....sometimes it pops open going down the road still. I even tug on it when I lock up. Why didn't they put a handle lock on the lid? I put stuff in the trunk that doesn't require opening the lid all the time.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:10 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BinIdaho
Four model years later and MoCo still can't get it right

I've had mine worked on three times....sometimes it pops open going down the road still. I even tug on it when I lock up. Why didn't they put a handle lock on the lid? I put stuff in the trunk that doesn't require opening the lid all the time.
I don't think the MoCo is employing top engineering talent and the bean counters are the ones running the show.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:08 PM
RogueRyder1
Intermediate

I had issues with my '10 TG trunk door not latching at all. Had to put duct tape on it till I got it to the dealer. they took the latch mechanism apart and cleaned it. Said that dust and road grime builds up inside that button that we push in everytime we open it. Never had a problem since, at least, not yet anyway!

Old 11-14-2011, 04:56 AM
oldmsocko
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RogueRyder1
I had issues with my '10 TG trunk door not latching at all. Had to put duct tape on it till I got it to the dealer. they took the latch mechanism apart and cleaned it. Said that dust and road grime builds up inside that button that we push in everytime we open it. Never had a problem since, at least, not yet anyway!
Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
7wfsundown
5th Gear

I've got a 2010 TG and had the same problems of not being able to close the trunk lid and having it pop open. I noticed the hinges were hitting the inside of the door and used a grinder to grind out enough to allow the door to close without the hinges hitting. This seemed to help but still had problems with the lid popping open. That's when I noticed the latch wasn't closing properly. After lubricating with silicone lubricant, I haven't had a problem yet. It's been two month so I guess time will tell.

Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 PM
staudy
4th Gear

The way to stop the trunk from falling open is to put your key into the lock and turn and pull the button full out. It sticks in the rubber gasket and silicone lube helps but only till it dries out..So every time I close the trunk I pull the button full out...Try it...

Old 11-23-2011, 06:19 PM
TaylorMcStrat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by staudy
The way to stop the trunk from falling open is to put your key into the lock and turn and pull the button full out. It sticks in the rubber gasket and silicone lube helps but only till it dries out..So every time I close the trunk I pull the button full out...Try it...
Now that sounds like solid advice. Thanks. I'll do that.

I've had no problems since my WD-40 "repair" a couple weeks ago.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by staudy

Quick Reply: Trunk Door Surprise