Tri Glide, RG3 & Freewheeler Models Freewheeler, RG3 & Tri Glide Enthusiasts. Here is your section of the forum to discuss Harley's Trikes!

Well that was interesting!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011 | 03:33 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ZD
Yeah, I've thought about trying a wheelie! It's been a long ole time since I did anything stupid like that, so perhaps I'll just try to keep the thing between the ditches for the time being.
I've had the front end up a few times on mine, it wasn't in stock trim at the time. The times I had the front end up it happened without much thought put into it, more or less I was swatting the throttle while on low gear and had real good traction. The wife was along for the ride on 2 of those occasions and was less than thrilled when she noticed the trike was going straight when it should have been turning, I was trying to avoid being hit by a car while turning onto an on ramp.

Old 11-10-2011 | 06:00 PM
ZD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by msocko3
I've had the front end up a few times on mine, it wasn't in stock trim at the time. The times I had the front end up it happened without much thought put into it, more or less I was swatting the throttle while on low gear and had real good traction. The wife was along for the ride on 2 of those occasions and was less than thrilled when she noticed the trike was going straight when it should have been turning, I was trying to avoid being hit by a car while turning onto an on ramp.
Ouch! That's a rough way to be practicing wheelies! This one doesn't seem the least bit interested in gettin' up on its hind legs... Just doesn't feel that snappy to me. Likely the 30 tooth & cams will make a pretty big difference. (Of course, I haven't done a wheelie either on purpose or by accident in 35+ years) I'm pretty sure I'm not ready to do battle with a four-wheeler yet either!

Off the beaten track a lil bit... The gas mileage with this thing is terrible. (24.5 mpg on the 1st tank... The T-Bird does that well) Plugs look kinda sooty so the fuel profile is all hosed up or there's something haywire with the EFI somewhere. I don't really get too excited about the mileage other than the fact that it's indicative of something not quite right, and I don't want excessive fuel washing the cylinders out and contaminating the oil.

Old 11-11-2011 | 05:54 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ZD
Off the beaten track a lil bit... The gas mileage with this thing is terrible. (24.5 mpg on the 1st tank... The T-Bird does that well) Plugs look kinda sooty so the fuel profile is all hosed up or there's something haywire with the EFI somewhere. I don't really get too excited about the mileage other than the fact that it's indicative of something not quite right, and I don't want excessive fuel washing the cylinders out and contaminating the oil.
A lot of folks see crummy fuel mileage until it gets some miles on it. You can pull the oil dipstick and see if the oil smells like it is getting contaminated with gas.

Old 11-11-2011 | 08:29 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

ZD .... Congrat's on the Trike .... Nice color !
Have not seen that color on a Trike yet in person.
Lynn had a Street Glide before getting her Trike but before she got hers we went to a dealer to demo one to see if she liked it. They had a HUGE parking lot out back and I made her do figure eights ( both ways ) until she felt comfortable making turns with it. I also had her do some real tight turns both ways also. After about 20 min or so she was ready for the ride. They actually let us take it on our own but I followed her in our truck. I want her to get the feeling of it by herself since she would be the one riding all the time. She did some 2 lane 45 mph roads before returning back via a major highway. I was totally shocked when I forgot she was behind me on the highway part and I was doing 70mph and she was right there. When I turned off the exit to go back to the dealer I thought for sure she was going to keep going and head for home ....LOL ....
Unfortunatly they gave us a crappy trade in price so we ALMOST had her SG converted. We stopped at our local dealer and told him what we were planing to do and he made a deal we could not refuse. Buying the Trike was the BEST idea yet. No more worrying about her riding over crappy road surfaces or being able to hold up the SG in difficult situations.
I on the other hand had no problem getting use to the trike since I have a 4 wheeler quad and also snowmobile in the Winter. It felt natural to me. The one thing I always think of trying to do is SLIDE the trike doing a full handlebar lock like a dirt bike speedway rider. Schhhh ... Don't tell Lynn ..... LOL .....
As you ride your Trike and get use to it your smile will get wider & wider :-)

Rob ......

Old 11-11-2011 | 09:26 AM
ZD
|
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by robandlyn
ZD .... Congrat's on the Trike .... Nice color !
Have not seen that color on a Trike yet in person.
Lynn had a Street Glide before getting her Trike but before she got hers we went to a dealer to demo one to see if she liked it. They had a HUGE parking lot out back and I made her do figure eights ( both ways ) until she felt comfortable making turns with it. I also had her do some real tight turns both ways also. After about 20 min or so she was ready for the ride. They actually let us take it on our own but I followed her in our truck. I want her to get the feeling of it by herself since she would be the one riding all the time. She did some 2 lane 45 mph roads before returning back via a major highway. I was totally shocked when I forgot she was behind me on the highway part and I was doing 70mph and she was right there. When I turned off the exit to go back to the dealer I thought for sure she was going to keep going and head for home ....LOL ....
Unfortunatly they gave us a crappy trade in price so we ALMOST had her SG converted. We stopped at our local dealer and told him what we were planing to do and he made a deal we could not refuse. Buying the Trike was the BEST idea yet. No more worrying about her riding over crappy road surfaces or being able to hold up the SG in difficult situations.
I on the other hand had no problem getting use to the trike since I have a 4 wheeler quad and also snowmobile in the Winter. It felt natural to me. The one thing I always think of trying to do is SLIDE the trike doing a full handlebar lock like a dirt bike speedway rider. Schhhh ... Don't tell Lynn ..... LOL .....
As you ride your Trike and get use to it your smile will get wider & wider :-)

Rob ......
Rob - Thanks for the congrats... It was good that you got to try it out. Unfortunately my 3 wheel experience was pretty much a 16 mile drive in 1969, and the 70 mile ride home last Sunday! I romped it around the parking lot one time, told Linda to pile on and away we went. Back roads all the way home. I wasn't then, and am still not ready for 70 mph! I wasn't even ready for 45 on a narrow crowned back road. Like Screwball said: I've got 40+ years of bad habits to get rid of before I'm gonna be anywhere near proficient with this contraption. Never been on a four wheeler although I did do some snowmobiling a LONG time ago up in Maine where I (not quite) grew up.

But we've had a ball on this thing and have absolutely NO regrets whatsoever. (Except In a perfect world I would have preferred a Cool Blue/Vivid Black two-tone paint scheme... alas, 2011 is nearly over and there ain't any left!)

I did talk with Roadsmith, and I can convert the ole '99 FLSTS without any structural mods so I can restore it to stock if I want to. Still toying with that idea too. (I have this serious springer / softail fetish thang goin' on!)

I don't have enough face for the smile I already have!